Send Topic Print
buy old or new? (Read 334 times)
Antje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

buy old or new?
07/18/16 at 16:26:20

Hi All- I just found this forum- you are so dedicated. I appreciate it!!!!
I am trying to decide between 2 bikes- Suzuki s40/savage.- old vs. new
The dealer here in Maine has a 2013 S40 left over stock with 30 mi. at $4000. I like it- LOVE the color.
The  biggest pro for me would be having a new bike and being able to ride a few years without (hopefully) mechanical failure.  In the past that didn't seem to hold me back, but I don't have much time to ride as it is and I don't want to loose that, tinkering with the bike. Even though I think this is a great deal, it is too much $ and I will have to take out a loan for that - doable- I have done it before for the BMW K75 I owned in the past.
I found a 2001 savage that has a few scratches and dent on the tank.  The R rear blinker has scratches and seems to be held in place by black tape.
The owner only has had it since April and been riding it to work. He got it from his buddy’s mom. It had been sitting a few years.  She had bought it from a dealer- used or new- I don't know.  
It rides very nice.  But it did stall on me twice downshifting and coming to a stop.  The guy called me later, he turned the idle up a little and seemed to take care of the problem. The other thing I noticed was a very faint high pitch sound just idling. He said the sound has been there since he owned it and thought it came from the muffler compressing the exhaust quite radically.  I see all these comments about mufflers and I forgot to take a picture of the bike- don't know if it is stock.  
It needs a new rear tire- pretty worn and the front looks a little cracked in the grooves.
He would take $1500 for it.  I got an estimate of around $600 from the Maine dealer to get the tires changed and an overall service, checking everything, IF nothing else turns up it should be good to go for this year and hopefully next.  IF other things need fixing- that would suck.
AND it is still a 15 year old bike with sealing’s and gaskets starting to get brittle and leaking.....
I know in the past I would have gone for the older bike- it might be age (52) or not enough time, I do want a reliable bike!
I do know that I would be so much more relaxed about the older bike, since it already has scratches.  I will not be upset should it get wet or if the garage is occupied that it might have to sit outside a few weeks.  I will get a cover.    
I feel like I have been out of the bike-word too long (12 years) to make a completely informed decision.
What do you think- old vs new?
IF you are still up for reading- I give you my history so you know where I am coming from:
Started to ride in 1997.
1981 Suzuki GS 450  put on close to 4000mi the first year.
1985 Yamaha Virago 700 - loved the looks and feel but had starter problems and got sick of it- got a 1995 BMW K75- loved the dependability and ride. But still liked the cruiser as well and got a 1987? Honda Shadow 700.   Loved it as well- great change of feel and position between the two bikes.
At that time I had a few mechanics I would go to and they loved to show me what they did, teach me about my bikes, but most of the services I would have them do.  
Had to sell the K75 in 2003 to pay the plumber-building a house....
And the Shadow went in 2004 as I got in a relationship where the partner was not into bikes- got a kayak instead.
But over the years I was temped a few times.
Seeing a 2006 Suzuki GZ250 for sale on our street corner got me thinking. I test drove it and decided it was way too small.  I tried a 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, but it felt too bulky. Now I tried these 2 suzuki S40/Savage and think this is the right size, weight and power for me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: buy old or new?
Reply #1 - 07/18/16 at 17:36:16

IF you have cash, walk in with$2800.00. See what happens, be willing to walk away.
Ask him if he would rather have his money tied up in three, soon to be four year old merchandise or turn it back into operating capital.
If he jacks you for 3500, go to 3,000..

I would hope to see that go.  Surely you can ride away for 3200.
4,000 isn't exactly beating.. and if you're not willing to be doing the maintenance,  new is better. I went new just because I was intimidated by the idea of working on a bike. If Icould do it over, id get used..

Ohhh, wait! I am soon to get that chance!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #2 - 07/18/16 at 17:47:26

Yeah, good advice from JoG. It's good that you like this bike already because I have noticed that there are many almost new ones for sale which says to me that it attracts people due to it's romantic look, and it is a very fun bike to ride, but they either aren't really into riding bikes, or they don't really like it very much after a while.

Therefore you can basically get a new bike that has already lost it's $1500-2000 that it loses as it rolls out the showroom door.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 07/18/16 at 18:03:45

IMO 1500 + 600 for tires and whatever your dealer calls an "overall service" is too much money for a bike that old that is making a noise that concerns you, and that doesn't sound as though it was taken care of all that well by it's previous owners.

If you want a bike to ride while you study up on what these particular bikes need in the way of regular maintenance( and be aware that your dealer may not be as knowledgeable as some of the folks on this forum) I recommend you figure out a way to buy the new one.

If you are looking for a project and an education on Savages/S40s then the 2001 sounds like just the ticket. But I think you need to get most of that 600 dollars for tires and whatever, knocked off the asking price for that to be worthwhile.

IP Logged
Antje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/18/16 at 18:29:43

Wow, I never thought about getting the price lowered from the dealer.  I just figured $4000 was already pretty good, since the bike was around $5800 new.
Thanks

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #5 - 07/18/16 at 18:55:41

Did you check Craigs List ?

There are several S40's in Maine listed in the
$2,000 range that are around ten years old.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Antje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/18/16 at 19:08:10

Todd, I checked.  They seemed to all be in NH. But I saw a 2012 that is not clear where exactly it is- I dropped an email to find out.
Thanks
Antje

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/18/16 at 19:54:35

Check nada.com or kbb.com for prices.
and I would deduct the price of tires.
and as far as dealer service goes, they'll check everything, but adjustment is extra.

It probably could use an oil change, filters, valve adjust just so you know you're at ground zero.
The how-to's are in the tech section, check out the index.
If the brake fluid is tinted, make plans to change it.
The battery is another thing to think about.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 07/18/16 at 20:08:12

If you like the colour of the new bike, and the price is acceptable, go for it. You can always try some negotiation if you wish, remembering that some are better at this sort of thing than others. Just remember you will be negotiating with a professional negotiator. See if you can get some sort of warranty at no extra charge. At least get them to throw in the things that Verslagen mentioned, particularly a NEW battery if you decide to pay anything near the asking price.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/18/16 at 20:34:12

did stall on me twice downshifting and coming to a stop.  The guy called me later, he turned the idle up a little and seemed to take care of the problem. The other thing I noticed was a very faint high pitch sound just idling. He said the sound has been there since he owned it and thought it came from the muffler compressing the exhaust quite radically.

If it's been run at low idle, that's bad news.

The stock mufflers do whistle like a VW.

YOU can get a loan, use the cash, buy the bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Antje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/18/16 at 20:37:32

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions.
Yes, the new bike comes with the 1 year Suzuki warranty. and The dealer is going over the bike again.  Great idea to check about the battery.

And I just looked through all the 2500 Maine listings on cragslist- there were a few S40 hiding with different headings.... just wrote a few emails
The 2001 is deffinatly out of the running.
I'll post a picture of what I will eventually end up with Smiley

IP Logged
TallElf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

mistake by the lake
Reply #11 - 07/18/16 at 20:44:49

I just pulled a 2001 with 8600 miles for $1050.   It needed tires and the very next day fell ass backwards into a pair mounted and balanced for 100 bucks.  Granted they were an off brand. Called full bore made in korea.. But hey.. They havent drifted in the gravelly corners in pa.  Ill take it.   Depending on your level of comfort with wrenches and time available.. It seems like you may wanna shop around for used.. And get one in better conditio.   Or go for the new o e and just letter rip

2001 glacier blue stock air 150 main stock pilot 2007 dyna exhaust.
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #12 - 07/18/16 at 21:57:26

you know the new one is/will be, $4000 ,plus shipping ,assembly ,dealer pack ,tax title and on and on . if you can really put one in your garage for 4k with a warrentee   buy it.. a 2013 model are/is usually dealer used stock by now with no warrentee. he wants to get you back in the showroom   with your checkbook and a stiffy. fyi he is into that bike for at-least $4700 with all/any spiffs.i do like the orange black color.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/18/16 at 22:13:48

A businessman understands cash flow. Depending on HIS particular situation, he may take a loss just to get cash back into the business. Asking someone if they want to turn something back into operating capital can move it your way.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 07/19/16 at 01:42:37

JOG, if I ever buy anything, I must remember that "operating capital" ploy.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:41:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › buy old or new?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.