Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sudden Oil Leak (spray?) Around Clutch Cover (Read 294 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Sudden Oil Leak (spray?) Around Clutch Cover
Reply #15 - 08/07/16 at 21:17:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/16 at 19:18:10:
No RTV.

Why not?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/07/16 at 22:45:37

He asked what was recommended. And they recommend what I said, not rtv.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/08/16 at 06:15:16

Ah, great. Thanks. I'll check in at the local bike shop and see what they have. I was a little concerned when the product I was shown (see link) appeared primarily for general purpose. Says it's RTV in the description.

https://www.permatex.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/81158.jpg

Had a difficult time with the idea that the temperature and pressure conditions of the clutch cover were the same as trying to stop rain getting in to a car. Hence my question.

Will post with what I find/do.

Thanks!

1996 LS650 bobber rat - window bars - peanut tank - solo seat - flat rear fender - straight pipe - terribly abused
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #18 - 08/08/16 at 07:02:31

You only need sealant (a very thin smear, both sides) on the surfaces surrounding the oil passages at the top of the clutch cover and another thin smear on the rubber grommet that the neutral wire goes through. Tighten down the bolts on the clutch cover uniformly, in a cross pattern, in stages, so that they are all evenly compressing the gasket. I'm no expert, but that's what I did and so far, so good.

- David
  IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/21/16 at 12:54:04

Uh oh.

So, my clutch cover gasket came in the mail.

Went to local bike place and asked what they used for sealant and he handed me this stuff.

Finally had a chance to pull the pipe and clutch cover off this afternoon. However, when I pulled the oil plug black watery fluid GUSHED out! Measured  about 3.4 litres of it. Considering only ~2.0 litres of oil went IN perhaps I should start a thread called Gas in Oil? That first time I noticed the leak the bike quit on it's own (like, 5 seconds before I snapped the video). Turns out the tank was bone dry. I thought it was a coincidence, but it's clear something very very bad has happened.

Anybody see something like this? How could the bike even RUN like this?! I'm guessing once the oil compartment filled up full of gas/oil it wouldn't have been hard to build up enough pressure to blow out around the grommet for the neutral switch wire. I'm feeling glad the bike didn't burst into flames or something!

What would cause something so awful? Could I have effed' something up doing the verslavvy mod? The bike seemed to be running great, even while spraying oil (and evidently gas!) out the cover.

1996 LS650 bobber rat - window bars - peanut tank - solo seat - flat rear fender - straight pipe - terribly abused
  IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/21/16 at 13:01:01

Ah... spent so much time making a post I should have read the forum. Seems this will likely be related to carburetor?  I DID have it partially apart before running the bike this spring. I had been meaning to ask how it should be set up on with a cone filter I've got. Since it seemed to run fine I didn't think much of it.

I AM curious to know if they vacuum port that would have hooked up to the stock petcock should be completely blocked off or if it should be allowed to 'breath' some?

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #21 - 08/21/16 at 13:09:24

Fury,

The vacuum port must be sealed, I used a piece of the factory hose and stuffed it with Silicone and threaded a screw into it. The auto parts stores sell caps for sealing the vacuum port, but they don't hold up for any great length of time.

The float in your carburetor is stuck open. Rap the side of the carburetor float bowl with the handle end of a fairly heavy screwdriver. You might want to have someone hold the other side of the carburetor with their hand while you rap rather smartly. Hopefully that will break the float loose.

If you don't have a Raptor petcock you need a genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock Part #5LP-24500-01.

The factory petcock is notorious for leaking and all of the knowledgeable Savage owners change the petcock to a Yamaha Raptor Part #5LP-24500-01. Make sure you get a genuine Yamaha petcock not a knockoff from eBay.

After the petcock is corrected you may have to go back into the carburetor and clean or replace the seat on the float bowl valve.

Kenny G

IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/21/16 at 13:13:08

More reading, less typing.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1303612956

Looks like this thread is pretty much what I'm after. The 'spraying' oil must have been coming from the breather hose, which I've got hanging down just over the area I thought was leaking.

So... probably not leaking from the clutch cover at all. Too bad I just took it off. I'll focus on the float valve. It must have been that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 08/21/16 at 13:14:12

A carburetor that floods it once will do it again.
Carb maintenance time
Raptor petcock time

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 08/21/16 at 13:14:34

Hey, beat me to it. Thanks Kenny. Will try it out.

IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/30/16 at 12:41:58

Okee. So, I applied the gasket sealant/dressing to the gasket proximal to the oil galley. I had watched a general gasket sealant youtube video and did similarly which, afterwards I understand what Lancer was saying about using a brush (I had applied it to the whole width of the gasket, not just the interfaces of the covers). Also did the little grommet.

I went ahead and popped out the carburetor. I had taken a peak at it in the spring but really didn't know what to look for. A couple more youtube vids and I see that gunk on the float valve bits can cause it to stick, so I cleaned up the seat and needle/stem thingy which had a noticeable layer of said gunk.  

Put some new oil back in and took her for a quick spin. No evidence of leakage (but for all the smoke coming from the outside of my exhaust pipe, now that it's fiberglass wrap is soaked with oil and gas).

As you can see below, my savage has a non-stock tank and a pretty generic 3/8" NPT petcock. I see them on ebay for 50 bucks or so ('drag specialties'). Anyway, to add a level of safety to the float valve issue, is it the general consensus that you close your petcock when not riding? Like, every time? I'm probably going to be doing this every time I shut down the bike now, but I was curious if this is typical.

Thanks for the feed back everyone. I have no idea why I can't get my images to show up rotated.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 08/30/16 at 12:44:44

I turn off my petcock at the end of the day......I never fuss with it while I am still riding around, even when stopping for an hour or two.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 17:49:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sudden Oil Leak (spray?) Around Clutch Cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.