Leaking gas and/or oil (Read 134 times)
kevin r.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Leaking gas and/or oil
04/23/11 at 19:42:36

I just tried riding my savage for the first time today and it started leaking some fluid on the ground. It drips off the oil overflow and is rainbow colored on the wet pavement which leads me to think it's gas. It smells like gas but it brown like oil. Here's the catch, I just replaced the petcock before that and forgot to block off the vacuum line. I run it on reserve. There is also a little smoke coming out of the exhaust near the clamp in the pipe by the heat shield (the rear heat shield). After a while the bike started to bog down and would stall. Any info would be greatly appreciated yet again Smiley)

Thanks guys!

Kevin

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Leaking gas and/or oil
Reply #1 - 04/23/11 at 20:11:46

you may want to check your oil to see if the petcock and float let gas flood the crankcase.   Happened to me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/23/11 at 20:40:51

Huh  edgemakate me, where's the oil overflow?

if gas is in the oil, change the oil.

now why?  you replaced the petcock, not working, diaphragm leaking?

but if you got gas in the crankcase it's cause of a bad float valve.

WWW   IP Logged
kevin r.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 04/23/11 at 20:49:53

The oil overflow is the tube that sticks out of the bottom of the crankcase. How would I know if gas is in the crankcase?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/23/11 at 21:48:11

Always thought that was the airbox drain.

anyhow, gas and oil are likely to come from that tube and quite acceptable too.  ya scared alot of ol' savagers.   Roll Eyes

oil level higher then you last checked would be one clue.

WWW   IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #5 - 04/23/11 at 21:48:36

My 86 doesn't have an oil overflow tube sticking out of the crankcase and I really don't believe any of them have such a thing.  Are you sure you're not looking at the drain tube that comes out the bottom of the air box?  The crankcase is vented through a tube in the top end that connects to the air box and there is a tube in the bottom with a flapper to allow it to drain if necessary.  If there's substantial oil getting in there you have other problems.

You said you replaced the petcock,  did you replace it with a Raptor petcock that doesn't need vacuum?  If you didn't block the vacuum I'm surprised it ran at all.  

If you have gas in the crankcase you should be able to smell it from the filler hole.  Check the oil level in the site glass, if it's high, chances are there is gas in the oil and you definitely need to change it.  Verslavy said, the float bowl needle valve is about the only way gas can get from the tank to the crankcase.

IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #6 - 04/23/11 at 21:53:05

Ha, ya beat me by 25 seconds.

IP Logged
kevin r.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 04/23/11 at 22:46:50

Woops I was misinformed about the overflow haha sorry. The oil level does seem a bit high so ill check it tomorrow. If there's a few drips still coming out of that tube at the bottom of the crank case (air tube) should I be worried? It wasn't pissing out but every few seconds there were drips of gas/oil or realllllly dirty gas coming out but that was before and just after I swapped in the raptor petcock. Apparently the vacuum line was already blocked but I will cut a new section of hose and seal it off tomorrow to be double sure. Have a great holiday everyone!

IP Logged
kevin r.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 04/24/11 at 17:12:27

Just and update:

I changed the vacuum hose block and put in some new gas. The leak stopped and then I took off the air filter cover and gas came pouring out! There was so much in the filter housing. I changed the oil (or what used to be oil) shortly after. Almost all of it was gas. I put in some no name 10w 40 SAE oil and it knocks a little bit so I'll do a full oil change soon. But it runs great with no leaks now. Just have to shine it up a bit before I put it on the road.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 00:10:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking gas and/or oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.