Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Clutch disengaged,no momentum (Read 514 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch disengaged,no momentum
07/12/16 at 13:27:46

Hi guys, it's been a min.for those of you in the southeast, you know how rainy our Spring was.
I have again set out to tackle my bike issues and am back to diagnostics before I pull my clutch pack apart.

I realized when reading back my last post "Loss of Power" that I was pulling the speedo cable when checking my clutch lever index marks. I did pull the little knobby thing out before when checking but in the interest of starting all things anew, decided to check everything out again.

I first made adjustments at the handlebars for slack. I didn't feel the kink when engaging the clutch that I did before but when I started her up and should've been rolling forward while disengaging the clutch,i am completely stationary. The engine has power. I just don't move.

I pulled the clutch cable knob from the lever and it,the lever immediately dropped. I had to use a bungee and the help of my roommate who is a dude and considerably larger than me to pull it back up to reseat the cable knob. I was almost sure I was screwed. It still seems to fall within an acceptable range btwn the index marks. Almost, perfectly seated btwn the two,actually.So, again, I'm back at square one.

Am I missing something here? Am I doing it wrong?
Is OldFeller back in commission?

I have a nail to pull from the rear tire so that has to come off this wk. I'd like to do everything at once but I'm hoping to avoid opening up the clutch pack or removing the side.
Any ideas what it could be?
I've spent all day reading.
The closest circumstance I could find the guy needed a longer pushrod. I haven't heard any of the sounds associated w a bad cam chain tensioner.
Anxiously awaiting your answers Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clutch disengaged,no momentum
Reply #1 - 07/12/16 at 14:05:48

Don't worry about a tire while the bike is dead in the water.
Get it pulling, then deal with the tire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #2 - 07/12/16 at 17:26:08

What do you mean when you say "no momentum ???" Can you push the bike? Does it keep rolling? I think that's what is called momentum. Is it that it simply won't pull even if you get the bike moving beforehand? Are the brakes dragging? If they are dragging severely, you may not be able to move the bike by hand, and it will stop suddenly, hence less momentum.

Wait a minute, I read some more. Feel the lever at the transmission for slack. There won't be much, but it should be significant. If not, then your clutch is in tension and will slip. If I understand you correctly, you disconnected the hand lever or something, and the transmission lever dropped? This means your clutch was being disengaged via cable tension. Maybe the cable wasn't seated right in the lever, or, it is possible that the cable end adjuster with the two nuts just above the trans side lever got snagged above it's seat. Perhaps loosening it caused it to pop back into place. What do you think?

That seems to be the most likely story.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/12/16 at 17:29:53

No, it's like....
When you start your bike,you engage your clutch to keep the bike from creeping forward or lurching and stalling. Even if i give the bike gas and disengage the clutch, it doesn't move.there is no forward momentum with the gas engaged.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/12/16 at 17:31:19

I started the bike,didn't move it. Removed the clutch cable to check the lever placement and that is it.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 07/12/16 at 17:38:33

Now I'm thinking some more, and I realize that it may drop anyway, tension or not. If it's in tension, it will drop out of tension, if it's already loose, it will just have more free play.

Put it back together till you have some free play at the transmission side of the clutch, and see if it grabs. If not, then you have another problem.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 07/12/16 at 17:49:29

I loosened up my clutch before and was able to push my lever down too. It means nothing as far as I can tell. The whole lever mark thing should be measured at normal free play or around the end of your free play, I think.

If your lever comes way above the marks, then you will need a new rod. My guess is a longer one, but you'll have to consult someone else about that. I'd say Oldfeller knows about all this. There was a big, famous argument on this whole thing. I'll see if I can find a link.
Rod length is pretty unlikely to mess with the ability for the clutch to grab unless the rod problem causes you to adjust the clutch improperly, and that would cause problems. If everything is slack, and you don't have grip, something else is wrong.

My current guess would be that the clutch is stuck open for some reason. For that, you'll have to pull the cover.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 07/12/16 at 17:54:36

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 07/12/16 at 18:00:53

jjthejetplane wrote on 07/12/16 at 17:31:19:
I started the bike,didn't move it. Removed the clutch cable to check the lever placement and that is it.

I think lever placement can be checked with the cable in place. Again, everything should have a little slack, completely loose. The slightest bit of tension will, at the least, increase the chances of slippage problems. When you let go of that clutch lever, the cable should immediately loosen up so that, ideally the throwout mechanism  is barely resting against (or better yet, not even touching) the clutch pressure plate You should be able to wiggle the transmission side lever up and down (not by a huge amount) with your bare fingers. I mean loose

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/12/16 at 18:11:52

You might have some of your terms mixed up.  When you squeeze the clutch lever all the way in at the handlebar, the clutch should be disengaged.  When the lever at the handle bar is all the way out the clutch is engaged.  When the lever is out there should be just a tiny amount of free play.  At the handlebar, pull the rubber boot back and look at the gap where the clutch lever pivots, or is hinged.  With no pressure from your hand there should be a little wiggle room there, like the thickness of a dime or a little less.  Then you know that you didn't accidentally adjust it so tight that it is holding the clutch partially disengaged.  If there is no free play the clutch can slip.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 07/12/16 at 18:28:35

I think some people put even more slack in it to accomodate their hands, such as for small hands. Am I right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/12/16 at 18:32:54

Who CARES? He's trying to Teach a Point.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 07/12/16 at 19:31:22

Also make sure that the cable end at the tranny arm/lever is seated properly in the little carrier. Mine jumped out once and I noticed the feel of the hand lever was tighter with no slack. It's just a wee little bit of difference, but it was enough for me to start checking things before I rode lots of miles with the clutch slipping.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/13/16 at 09:36:49

I have read that post and a few others a few times over. I think I started to confuse myself. I have about a dimes width of space at the clutch, after adjustment,squeezing in only slightly -the clutch lever's bottom edge is right at the lower index line.

This is as of this mrng.

I did have my terminology mixed up a bit. Sorry.
When i release the clutch, the bike doesn't move.
I have checked the clutch lever marks a few times before and always had the lever fall within range but have had this persistent issue so I know there is a issue with my clutch.i have been trying to avoid going in.
Hoping it was just a wonky clutch cable.

If it seems imminent that I have to go into the clutch, besides old feller's post about cleaning out and sanding the clutch pack, are there other posts I should refer to?
Gna be hoisting it up on some cinder block fora DIY stand?any advice?

Is there any other way of diagnosing this loss of clutch response besides or before going in?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 07/13/16 at 10:05:22

So the clutch doesn't even try the slightest bit to grip???  If you sit on the bike and roll it back and forth in 1st gear with your feet, and you don't feel the clutch even attempt to grip, I don't think cleaning the plates is going to help you. Something tells me that something is holding the clutch pack open, or maybe there's another problem. Did you check the other gears? Are you sure it's not something in the transmission? Are you stuck in neutral? With the engine off, does it roll back and forth in gear with your hand off the clutch?

The clutch plates could possibly have grenaded themselves,  Undecided but we'll keep our fingers crossed that it's  just an easy problem. Did you do any clutch mods? Do you feel/hear any weird vibrations or noises from the clutch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzGblbeDuU

What do the other guys think?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:19:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch disengaged,no momentum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.