Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Understeering bike or understeering rider? (Read 220 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Understeering bike or understeering rider?
Reply #15 - 07/05/16 at 17:40:05

Chikkin strips on the tires on the bike that nobody can pass don't mean much.
No chikken strips on last place?
Who cares?

To be, not to Seem to be.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 07/05/16 at 17:55:14

Yep I prefer to ride the tire and save that little strip for when I need it.
Not having a chicken strip or always riding the edge reduces your margin of error , I'll leave that to the pros & young guns. Especially now that I found out getting hit by a car/suv really hurts.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/06/16 at 05:42:17

gizzo wrote on 07/05/16 at 17:37:08:
ohiomoto wrote on 07/05/16 at 07:59:42:
Make sure your technique is solid.  

I generally like to ride the outside edge of the seat (little less body lean than bike lean)  and use counter steering to control the amount of lean the bike has (pushing the inside bar down and forward).  Move your shoulders forward to enhance front wheel traction.

I feel I can control the motorcycle a bit better on the street than simply leaning and hanging off the inside.  Maybe it's the motocross in me, but that's what I like on this bike.  Excessive body lean and hanging off the inside doesn't seem to work all that great with this bike IMO.

(NOT ME)
http://i42.tinypic.com/2am25x.jpg

That's a weird body position. Like you said, that's MX style where you get on the edge of the seat to force the tyre to bite in. On the road, he'd do better to lean to the inside, drop his inside shoulder (automatically countersteering the bike) and get his head down. He'd be going around just as fast or faster, with less lean angle and more grip available. That's some wicked lean angle though. He'd get big ups at the next cafe for his zero chicken strips.  Roll Eyes
FWIW i find hanging off the inside works great on the Savage. Check this cat out  Cool
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/july/video-how-to-ride-a-harley-david...

I'm not saying that you can't succeed with more commitment and body lean, but I strongly disagree that this is what the OP needs to be working on.  Especially since they haven't ruled out the possibility that the bike isn't handling as is should.  The OP is already having issues controlling his line.  Top speed out on the street isn't what he/she should be striving for at this point.  Hanging off the inside requires more commitment and skill in my opinion.  

I find the technique I mentioned allows for easier line adjustments throughout the turn as needed.  Sort of like, well, racing off road.  I feel that it would be a safer way to learn how to control lines and sort out a bike.  Of course these are my opinions based on my experience.

For the record, I DO NOT have road race experience. (Though I can hang off the inside of a bike.)  Maybe I'd feel different if I had.  

Ultimately, it sounds like the OP is doing the right thing.  Try some different riding techniques and see what works best for them and the bike they are on.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/06/16 at 06:04:15

Ruttly wrote on 07/05/16 at 17:55:14:
Yep I prefer to ride the tire and save that little strip for when I need it.
Not having a chicken strip or always riding the edge reduces your margin of error , I'll leave that to the pros & young guns. Especially now that I found out getting hit by a car/suv really hurts.

We rode at the Dragon with MMRanch's young nephew....and he told me I was slowing down for the corners too much.  I showed him the edges of my tires, and I pointed to the 1/4" of chicken strip on the edges of my tires.  I said "see that little strip of unused rubber on the edges......that is what keeps me from taking a trip to the hospital.  It is that little extra margin that allows me to stay upright".   Less than 24 hours later we were picking him up at the hospital........he got separated from us and went to ride the Dragon alone......and he went into a corner too fast and low sided (but his chicken strips were gone!).

Folks with Sport Bikes and really grippy tires may be able to lean their bike waaaay over and use all the tread surface - but on public roads the pavement is never perfect, and you should never corner at your 100% maximum.  It is not uncommon to see scraped leathers and bodywork on those folks who push the limits on a regular basis.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/06/16 at 06:12:09

And a word of caution.  

I knew a retired police officer who took up road racing.  He took some courses, did some track days, etc.  Later that summer he put himself under a car at one of our metro parks.  He survived but he got busted up to the point where he couldn't ride anymore and he had to give up skiing and golfing, basically messed up his retirement plans.  He told me he misjudged a corner, went left of center and laid it down trying to recover.  

Public roads is not the place to practice road racing.  Be careful out there.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 07/06/16 at 07:40:46

Should people be mentally capable of grasping the difference between dropping a bike on wet grass or sand at a stop and an At speed crash, I can say that I had more fun, explored the bikes and my own abilities more than on any other bike save for the dirt bikes people let me ride.. And I never crashed it..
The bikes own limitations kept me from going too crazy.

If you're having trouble with your lines, yes, Do slow down and work on it at lower speeds. The right peg trapped my foot several times, hard enough to hurt, making me pull the foot out, it Will lean. But Strive for the Line, Ride your line,then adjust speed. And Feel of the bike. And any curves you get friendly with, if you slammed through hours ago and you're back, Don't Assume that asphalt is still clear.. I decided to study a favorite curve and discovered spilled paint.. it's a public road, no safety crews, Ride to survive..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 07/06/16 at 16:47:35

ohiomoto wrote on 07/06/16 at 06:12:09:
Public roads is not the place to practice road racing.  Be careful out there.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/06/16 at 07:40:46:
Ride to survive..

Amen to that!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #22 - 07/06/16 at 16:49:37

ohiomoto wrote on 07/06/16 at 05:42:17:
I'm not saying that you can't succeed with more commitment and body lean, but I strongly disagree that this is what the OP needs to be working on.  Especially since they haven't ruled out the possibility that the bike isn't handling as is should.  The OP is already having issues controlling his line.  Top speed out on the street isn't what he/she should be striving for at this point.  Hanging off the inside requires more commitment and skill in my opinion.  

I find the technique I mentioned allows for easier line adjustments throughout the turn as needed.  Sort of like, well, racing off road.  I feel that it would be a safer way to learn how to control lines and sort out a bike.  Of course these are my opinions based on my experience.

For the record, I DO NOT have road race experience. (Though I can hang off the inside of a bike.)  Maybe I'd feel different if I had.  

Ultimately, it sounds like the OP is doing the right thing.  Try some different riding techniques and see what works best for them and the bike they are on.

That's cool. I was just pointing out that they guy in the photo has an awkward style and that he'd have been better off not sitting upright on the bike and that he'd have more tyre in reserve if he rode differently. Getting up and away from the turn causes the rider to automatically countersteer the wrong way, makes a higher workload because he has to consciously counter countersteer, while also losing ground clearance. The chicken strip comment was suggesting that he'd be able to impress the Gixxer Bros at the next cafe, who pay attention to strips, or lack thereof. I'm not suggesting that strips should be used as measure of rider skill. Far from it.

But, to each their own, and whatever helps you ride safely and with well placed confidence is a good thing. I think the OP knows how to ride and was asking for chassis advice more than style tips. I bet he has that covered.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:24:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Understeering bike or understeering rider?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.