Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tubed tyre query (Read 87 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Tubed tyre query
07/06/16 at 03:33:05

I have only just realised that the S40 has tubed tyres and also that it has to have tubed tyres because of the spokes. Recently I found a screw embedded in the tubeless tyre on my GS500 and I had never encountered tyre plugs before, I thought that was the end of the tyre which was almost new. But then I heard about plugs and I reamed the hole and plugged it with a self vulcanising worm.

This was a revelation to me and I promptly bought a micro 12V battery powered tyre pump which I keep on my bike with a reaming kit and spare worms. I did this because the screw inserted itself when I was very very far from help. I did not know it was there at the time and I ended up riding home with the screw in, which I probably would not have done had I known it was there as I need to go a couple of hundred kilometres and on a freeway as well.

Now I have discovered that the S40 uses tubes and if I got a screw or nail in my tire when I was in the boondocks I would not be able to do a roadside repair. So my questions is...

What do members of this forum do to cover themselves for a flat tyre when touring. It seems that it would be a major drama to remove the wheel, and belt especially with no centre stand. Is this just one of those things that you have to put up with?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Tubed tyre query
Reply #1 - 07/06/16 at 05:41:37

Call AAA

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/06/16 at 07:57:06

If a tube gets punctured, you're pretty much done unless you are just Badassed enough to pull a wheel, get the tire off, patch, etc. If it's holding air, go home..
I bought about seven cans of Tire Leak Stop one day.. Gakk, what a mess,, but I got it home,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #3 - 07/06/16 at 07:58:26

I always put Ride-On in my tires as soon as I change the tire or the tube. It prevents air leakage (I never have to top off the air), and it has allowed me to ride home about 100 miles with a screw in the tire and tube. The company claims it will plug up to a 1/4 inch leak in a tubeless tire and 1/8" in a tubed tire, and that it's easy to wash out of the tire with water.

So far, so good. I also carry a can of fix-a-flat, but I haven't found that to be as effective as the Ride-On. Good product.

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 07/06/16 at 08:15:27

If you can Find actual rubber tubes instead of PVC, then you have a much better chance of getting home. The Ride On sounds like a plan. I also like the green slime. If you have a puncture, and it's not wiggling around, leave it, and add sealer.

I was on the highway for a lot of that ride. Seventy MPH on a low Rear tire isn't bad on the straight lines.. A low front? Have fun with that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/06/16 at 12:45:47

Here is the link to the stuff that many people use, there is a version of it marketed for tubed tires.  I don't know much about it but I think it is supposed to stay liquid in your tire and has the potential to seal multiple leaks.

http://www.slime.com/es/products/bike/sealants/tube-sealant.php

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 07/06/16 at 14:32:29

OK the Ride-On product looks pretty good. But how does it work with a tube. If it is on the inside of a tube and say a screw gets into the tyre and tube, does that meant that the tyre has to removed later and plugged? Or is the sealant mean to leak out of the tube and repair the tyre as well?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 07/06/16 at 15:28:17

eau de sauvage wrote on 07/06/16 at 14:32:29:
OK the Ride-On product looks pretty good. But how does it work with a tube. If it is on the inside of a tube and say a screw gets into the tyre and tube, does that meant that the tyre has to removed later and plugged? Or is the sealant mean to leak out of the tube and repair the tyre as well?

If the ride-on stuff seals the leak in the tube it doesn't make any difference if there is a hole in the tire. You're still going to need to replace the tube at the earliest opportunity. That stuff is only a temporary - " till you can get home, or to a garage repair" . At that point what you do with the tire depends on the size of the hole. But since the tire has to come off to replace the tube anyway, if the tire is worth saving, I'd patch it on the inside. Plugs are for when you can't, or don't want to, dismount a tubeless tire that's on a rim that doesn't  require a tube in the first place.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/06/16 at 15:40:18

PVC tubes tear. Rubber tubes don't.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 07/06/16 at 17:00:33

A tire plug sounds very dangerous on a mc. I wouldn't go far with it if I didn't have to.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #10 - 07/06/16 at 17:56:22

Kris01 wrote on 07/06/16 at 17:00:33:
A tire plug sounds very dangerous on a mc. I wouldn't go far with it if I didn't have to.

Yeah I know right. I was amazed. You need to get the right plugs they have to be self vulcanising so they become part of the tyre rather than the cheap plugs where you have to use rubber cement with them. Or I should say crappy plugs because the good ones are already cheap at five buck a packet.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Safety-Seal-Tire-Plugs-6-PIECES-one-packet-tire-repai... you can read about them on the at http://www.safetyseal.com

Safety Seal make a kit but I just bought a cheapo reamer and inserter for a few bucks. I was astounded. The tyre was almost new and just forgot about it after 10,000 kms. However this of course if for tubeless. I've written to Ride On to get more clarification as to how the goop in the inner tube is able to plug the tyre, I don't quite get that bit yet.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 07/06/16 at 19:46:13

Quote:
 I've written to Ride On to get more clarification as to how the goop in the inner tube is able to plug the tyre, I don't quite get that bit yet.

It isn't. If enough of the gunk gets out of the tube to plug the hole in the tire then the air is going to be out of the tube too. And then you're walking, or calling a tow truck.

"If the ride-on stuff seals the leak in the tube it doesn't make any difference if there is a hole in the tire. You're still going to need to replace the tube at the earliest opportunity. That stuff is only a temporary - " till you can get home, or to a garage repair" . At that point what you do with the tire depends on the size of the hole. But since the tire has to come off to replace the tube anyway, if the tire is worth saving, I'd patch it on the inside. Plugs are for when you can't, or don't want to, dismount a tubeless tire that's on a rim that doesn't  require a tube in the first place."

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 07/06/16 at 20:10:22

You can have a hole in the tire as long as the tube holds air. Obviously you can't ride with a hole large enough for the tube to contact the pavement. It wouldn't last 3 miles.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #13 - 07/07/16 at 00:57:56

@oldNslow If enough of the gunk gets out of the tube to plug the hole in the tire then the air is going to be out of the tube too.

I keep one of these on my bike, never had to use it yet, but I got spooked when I got home after 200kms on the motorway and found a screw in the tyre almost ground down to nothing.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rocky-Creek-Designs-MotoPressor-Pocket-Pump-Tyre-I...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:19:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tubed tyre query

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.