Send Topic Print
Rim Clearcoat? (Read 127 times)
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Rim Clearcoat?
06/13/16 at 03:48:02

Wanting to paint my wheels...  Rims, spokes, and hubs.  Do they have any sort of clear coat that I need to strip off, or can I just clean them really well and paint them?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rim Clearcoat?
Reply #1 - 06/13/16 at 04:03:37

The chrome rims aren't coated, and the spokes aren't either.

The aluminum hub is clear coated - but it doesn't hold up all that well and most bikes have some corrosion that gets under the clear coat am makes those ugly grey and black marks.

It would be really hard to get all the parts roughed up, primed and painted in a way that would be durable.  Paint really doesn't stick to chrome very well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #2 - 06/13/16 at 04:17:27

Well that stinks  Grin

I may give it a shot anyway.  Worst case, if it doesn't work, I can have them powder coated I guess.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/13/16 at 05:38:56

Jeremy,

Powder coating will stick for sure, because they bead blast or sand blast the parts before coating.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #4 - 06/13/16 at 08:51:55

Yeah, I originally wanted to go that route, but I'm trying to save some cash on this project. Plus, I was trying to avoid having to disassemble the wheels. I figured if I did a really good job taping, I could paint the wheel while it was still assembled.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/13/16 at 09:25:02

I think it's a very time consuming task that will yield a small reward. Getting it Right means tearing it down. A paint job, where you can't Really access the part, the hub,is gonna suck.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/24/16 at 21:07:31

I used Duplicolor Shadow Chrome Blackout coating on the chrome rims on mine. It's a two part base coat clear coat spray paint kit I found at the local parts store. The chrome was a bit rusty in places and this helped make it look a lot better. Then I used black VHT High Temp Wrinkle Plus on the hubs and spokes. Far from perfect but I think it turned out decent. I used the wrinkle paint on both side engine covers and I think that looks great!

IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/24/16 at 21:09:24

Still trying figure out how to post pics from my phone. Too tired tonight to try too hard. Lol! Undecided

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #8 - 06/25/16 at 04:06:28

Would love to see some pictures of you have them!

IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/26/16 at 21:14:11

Working on it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 06/26/16 at 22:02:15

Painting? Easy as falling off a horse.

Pull wheel off bike. Remove tire-tube-liner-brake rotor-seals-bearings.

Spray hub and hoop with oven cleaner. Repeat 3 times minimum to etch the chrome and dissolve the clear coat. Scrub etched parts with acetone several times, until a cloth diaper picks up zero residue.

Put a piece of pipe through the hub. Use a stepladder or a couple milk crates to suspend the pipe. Slowly spin the wheel assembly while ghosting on Rustoleum appliance epoxy spray. Follow the can working window times to the letter. 3 ghost/dust coats and 1 wet coat. Let cure at least 72 hours before you put the puzzle back together.

Normal service life is 3-5 years if the paint was handled properly.

Wear a respirator, that paint can kill you.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/29/16 at 09:40:30

Hey WD, does the oven cleaner actually etch the chrome so the paint will get better adhesion? That sounds like a great trick for painting anything chrome. What might be the active ingredient we should look for when shopping for oven cleaner? Any particular brand work best?  
So far my wheel seem to be holding pretty well but they've only been on the road for a few weeks. The paint I used was formulated to be used over chrome and didn't require any special prep other a good cleaning and degrease.

IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/29/16 at 09:43:33

Also, any tricks for painting the chromed plastic pieces? Mine didn't turn out too well, lots of blotches. I'd be afraid to use the oven cleaner on those for fear it would melt the plastic?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 06/29/16 at 19:19:15

You can also soak chrome pieces in vinegar to remove the chrome. It takes a day or two but there's virtually no work involved.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 06/29/16 at 19:47:50

mastercarstech wrote on 06/29/16 at 09:40:30:
Hey WD, does the oven cleaner actually etch the chrome so the paint will get better adhesion? That sounds like a great trick for painting anything chrome. What might be the active ingredient we should look for when shopping for oven cleaner? Any particular brand work best?  
So far my wheel seem to be holding pretty well but they've only been on the road for a few weeks. The paint I used was formulated to be used over chrome and didn't require any special prep other a good cleaning and degrease.

Easy off is the old standby. Any oven cleaner will work though. Hot rod shops have used it for decades to etch chrome, remove zinc coatings, remove anodizing prior to painting.

Vaporized metal deposition over ABS or similar plastic? I peel the coating off, sand the parts and hit them with a good adhesion promoter before painting.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:32:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rim Clearcoat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.