Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Things are getting complicated (Read 217 times)
Whoas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Things are getting complicated
05/29/16 at 07:09:20

Hi guys, Ill try to keep this as short but as detailed as I can.
So I have an 87 ls 650 that I purchased less than a year ago.  Allegedly ran with no issues was just taking up space in someones garage.  Got it all cleaned up and had it running great.  Its always had a bit of trouble starting up. Nothing too serious just needs to turn over a few more times than normal.  Since I had plenty of gas and a brand new battery I was pretty confident and saying it was a starter issue.  Put about 5,000 miles with it running the way it was no issues at all.  

So over the winter I replaced the air box with a cone filter.  Put a straight pipe with no muffler/baffle on it.  And I replaced the famous 'leaking head plug'.  The black stopper like plug under the cylinder head cover.  Started running a bit differently because of the new air flow.  Didnt want to stay idle, lots of backfiring even a few flames sometimes. (this was all done during the winter in PA so 50 degrees or below) So my friend and I spent a good bit of time working on adjusting the air fuel mixture side note*He has a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard that he turned into a bobber.  He did it all himself thats the only reason i trust his judgement with my bike*.  We got it running well, but it needed to warm up before it would idle without the choke.  (used second stage to start and run in for a while)  Well recently the temp around here shot up to 85-90 degrees with (what feels like) 100% humidity.  So on the way to work one morning the bike just shut off on me, and had trouble starting back up.  Ever since then Ive noticed its been sputtering while Im riding, more when Im at lower RPMs but randomly throughout.  And were talking sputtering like darn near stalling out, very noticeable.  So I go to look over the bike yesterday and noticed the negative battery terminal is melted, and the bike wont even turn over let alone start up half the time.  It will shut off when I press the ignition start up button and if I wiggle the negative  battery cable around it turns back on.  I can tell this becuase my neutral light acts as an indicator.  Im not a mechanic I just use common knowledge and the internet.  90% of my bike knowledge comes from this site.  
But at this point my assumption is I have a crappy started thats taking too much time to start up which would cause my negative battery connection to heat up and melt the lead terminalSmiley.  As far as the sputtering Im sort of lost... Huh

So my questions are;
What are the chances the electrical problem and sputtering issue are related?

Where should I start as far as diagnosing these problems?

I know with the new less-restricted air flow that up jetting is somewhat crucial.  But if thats the case why has it been running so well in the winter?  Are heat and humidity really that big of a factor?

Any and all information/advice will help greatly.  Also the kicker is that I need to get my bike inspected this week because Im taking the motorcycle safety course on the 4th.   So the sooner I can figure this out the sooner I can get what I need to fix it.  Thanks guys.  Let me know if any pictures are needed or will help diagnose things a little easier.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Things are getting complicated
Reply #1 - 05/29/16 at 07:19:31

Start with the wiring... you know that;s a problem because of the neutral indicator.
Disconnect, contact clean, and reconnect every socket you can find,.. under seat, tank, etc..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #2 - 05/29/16 at 08:23:54

I would check the POS stock fuel petcock vacuum line and make sure no fuel is coming out of the vacuum line. Change it to a 660 raptor petcock ASAP. Avail on Amazon.

Where is the idle mixture screw set to? Should be around 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 turns. The carb may be dirty inside (jets plugged with crap) I would install the Jetset that Lancer sells for 29.95 will help greatly with popping and starting issues.

Check the valve lash in and ex need .004 inches each.

Lastly put in a new spark plug. Huh

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 05/29/16 at 08:47:22

And have you checked that your cone filter isn't blocking the air passage inn the inlet side of the carb?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 05/29/16 at 12:11:14

THE NEG. BATTERY terminal is melted ???? I'd look again .The only reason it has insulation is to protect it from the elements.Be sure your not looking at the POS. as this could be arcing to ground, off and on, and killing power to the ignition system,and killing your battery.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Whoas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/29/16 at 15:57:59

Things ive completed
Old petcock has been swapped out with the Raptor 660 about 4,000 miles ago

Valves were checked and adjusted about 2,500 miles ago

Put a new spark plug in around 2,500 miles ago

The cone filter doesnt seem to be obstructing any inlets

The negative terminal thats melted...Im not only sure....Im positive.

Questions

As far as the idle mixture; is the 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 setting for any temperature/humidity level?  I usually start with it 1 1/2 out and adjust accordingly by 1/4 turn intervals listening for idle speed and such.  In other words should my idle screw be between 1 1/2 - 1/ 3/4 regardless of the climate?

The carb has been cleaned twice already but jet obstruction does seem like a possibility.  That will probably come off and get cleaned again.

And for the jetset kit, are there different stages to the kits?  Ive heard/seen that a 'Stage 5 kit' is what i should be looking for with what i have done.

Working on getting some pictures up.

Thanks again guys

IP Logged
Whoas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/29/16 at 15:59:14

As i described in my original post when i turn the bike one and hit my ignition button the bike shuts off when i jostle these two wires, the bike turns back on.

IMG_8232.jpg
  IP Logged
Whoas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/29/16 at 15:59:53

Cone air filter doesnt seem to be obstructing anything

IMG_8231.jpg
  IP Logged
Whoas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/29/16 at 16:00:25

Definitely melting my NEGATIVE terminal

IMG_8229.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/29/16 at 16:07:26

Resistance causes heat. If you can get it apart, replace the nut and bolt and clean up everything.
Check out the battery, take it to be tested,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/29/16 at 16:25:58

Ican't see in the pic's is your battery box stock?Is it metal? the strap going across doesn't look tight to the top of the battery. If the battery bounces up down while riding and your pos. lead strikes the metal box you have a dead short ,which will send the entire battery charge to ground, that's a lot of power ,and lead has a low melting point. This type of thing can make your battery explode!!!!      You should be looking at the POS. cable and making sure it"s not contacting any metal anywhere.                        

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/29/16 at 16:27:17

Whoas wrote on 05/29/16 at 15:59:53:
Cone air filter doesnt seem to be obstructing anything

This is what we are trying to tell you about...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347609265

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/29/16 at 16:33:57

batman wrote on 05/29/16 at 16:25:58:
Ican't see in the pic's is your battery box stock?Is it metal? the strap going across doesn't look tight to the top of the battery. If the battery bounces up down while riding and your pos. lead strikes the metal box you have a dead short ,which will send the entire battery charge to ground, that's a lot of power ,and lead has a low melting point. This type of thing can make your battery explode!!!!      You should be looking at the POS. cable and making sure it"s not contacting any metal anywhere.

That's a stock bat box without the plastic top.

yeah, I know what that looks like.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/29/16 at 16:39:25

Whoas wrote on 05/29/16 at 15:59:14:
As i described in my original post when i turn the bike one and hit my ignition button the bike shuts off when i jostle these two wires, the bike turns back on.

one is the ground wire, and your bat term looks like sh!t.
unless you can clean this up, it's death to the battery.
the other is the positive wire going to the relay.
check the connections to both cables at both ends.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 05/29/16 at 17:56:50

using a cone filter and a straight pipe!the worst combo to try jet your carb to,you might want to think about some slide in baffle at least, you need some back pressure in your exhaust to have a chance at tuning the carb.Loud is just loud but it won't make your bike run well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:43:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Things are getting complicated

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.