Send Topic Print
Won't start (Read 53 times)
Suzukijohnsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Won't start
05/27/16 at 17:52:51

I have a 86 650 I did some mods to it and now the starter won't fire. I've swapped out thes starter solinode, cdi And battery.  The starter works when I cross the solinode. Any help would be appreciated

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Won't start
Reply #1 - 05/27/16 at 23:20:33

Did it work before you
Did some mods to.it?

If so, and now it doesn't, and you've proven the battery is good,
then you can be pretty sure that the problem is something you did in the Modding.

So, it's not starting.

What Is it doing?
What Mods were made?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 05/29/16 at 20:49:17

Sounds like either the solenoid is not acivating or the contacts in it are not carying power.

When you hit the start button, assuming all safeties are good, you should hear 2 clicks then the engine starts turning. The first click is the decompression solenoid, the second is the starter solenoid.  Make sure your small leads are connected properly to the solenoid.  They activage the electromagnet that closes the contacts.

If you only hear the 1 click from under the gas tank area, the starter solenoid isn't firing.  If you hear no clicks, check all the safeties; clutch, neutral, kickstand, kill switch.

An easy thing to check the solenoid activation leads is just to connect a voltmeter to them and hit the starter.  If there is no voltage, something is wrong upstream.  If there is voltage, something is wrong with the solenoid.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/30/16 at 11:09:46

Twelve volts To the solenoid won't make it work IF the ground is dirty.
Easy test is a battery charger and just hold the wires on the two small connections. As long as you have the polarity correct, you can leave the wires on the solenoid, just slap the test wires on and see.
If it's in gear, that is gonna be an unhappy moment.
When someone Says they
Jumped the solenoid there is less information there than someone who didn't see it needs.

If you jumped from the battery hot to the small connection that the start button goes to, then you prove d your solenoid is good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:59:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.