Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
S40 Backfiring- Do I really need to fix it? (Read 319 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: S40 Backfiring- Do I really need to fix it?
Reply #15 - 05/26/16 at 16:04:47

I have the jet kit from Lancer and the stainless steel screws from Dave but as my bike seems to run quite well I have not yet changed the jets.Yes, there is some bluing on my pipe and I am running an HD muffler.  I actually like the noise of the afterburn (not really a backfire) as it helps to warn cars I am nearby.

By the way, I do not get to ride to work as often as I would like but when I do it is about 32 miles each way, about 25 miles on the highway and HOV cruising at about 70 mph. I have about 21,500 miles on the bike. Ride it. Enjoy it. Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 05/26/16 at 17:41:05

You can really tell a lean condition if the engine likes to surge at a constant throttle position. It's almost as if the clutch is slipping. I upped the jet sizes in my carb just slightly and it runs sooo much better. A little goes a long way! She ran great before but runs excellent now!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #17 - 05/26/16 at 18:38:08

Dave wrote on 05/26/16 at 12:53:43:
Fahad wrote on 05/26/16 at 12:40:13:
11000 miles. It has a stock muffler and it rides smooth. The other day I rode on the highway for about half hour. When I got back the pipe was hot. Is that normal?

Absolutely!  The exhaust pipe on any motorcycle is hot.  It will melt or burn almost anything that comes in contact with it.....rainsuits, saddlebags, boot soles, polyester leisure suits!

My gf's foot. LOL rode it to do an oil change and asked her to stand it for me...didnt notice she had no shoes and what's the first thing she touches, the exhaust. OUCH lol....i think i slept on the couch that night.

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #18 - 06/24/16 at 12:09:53

In the 7 days I've had my S40, I've ridden almost 300 miles and noticed almost every single time I slow down, there's a backfire. Loud, subtle or somewhere in between, but pretty much every single time I come to a stop. I just assumed it was normal for the Thumper to sputter a little bit.
Cool

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/24/16 at 13:33:10

Mine slowly became just embarrassing. The header bolts were loose and getting looser. Gently snug them up, use a 1/4" ratchet, very gently on those wimpy things. Repairs in there are hard.
Check out the clamp on the muffler, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Doc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/24/16 at 13:43:03

Hello from NC.  Just jumping in here as Im new to both this forum and my 2007 Savage. My bike backfires on deceleration(and one little "woof" out the tailpipe when I shut it off!)  Also a blue pipe.  Would like to correct (backfiring)this to some degree as it drives my wife bonkers.  The bike seems to run ok, although it seems to work very hard accelerating, as if the thing is trying to make power, but can't.  Seems as if it could run with a bit more spirit like some of my past bikes.  I read the discussions about shim kits, slide needles, blanking plugs, etc, but I really don't know what all that means.  My real need is to find a great source to teach me some of the basics so I can take advantage of the knowledge this forum seems to have.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 06/24/16 at 13:51:44

WWW   IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #22 - 06/24/16 at 14:07:20

Squack! Yes both of my Savage's had the popping issue and both required rejetting the carb. I used a 52.5 pilot , 150 main and 2 washers on the needle for both bikes. I bought 2 kits form Lancer. Make sure the exhaust is completely sealed up and it removed 95% of the popping. I'm using a Harley Dyna muffler also. Sounds good and accelerates smoothly.

I'm at 200ft elevation here and not humid with fairly hot temp 90s.  Cool

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #23 - 06/24/16 at 17:18:37

See signature. Works great for me. I'm at a few feet above sea level with lots of humidity and temp in the 90-100s.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #24 - 06/29/16 at 08:34:32

Here's some good info on backfiring, scroll down to the 'Burn Baby Burn' sub heading. I've seen bits of this post all over the internets but I tracked down the original post.

http://tinyurl.com/hgsasoo

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #25 - 06/29/16 at 08:54:34

Here's some good carb tutorial stuff http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

Doc wrote on 06/24/16 at 13:43:03:
...I read the discussions about shim kits, slide needles, blanking plugs, etc, but I really don't know what all that means.  My real need is to find a great source to teach me some of the basics so I can take advantage of the knowledge this forum seems to have.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 06/29/16 at 13:41:20

Look in the Technical part of the forum.
Serowbot, I think, posted a good, Readers Digest level
How to understand what the bike is telling me about the carburetor
explanation.
It helped me.. can't remember it, but it made sense.. And I am not a carb guy..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #27 - 06/29/16 at 14:12:50

If you want to enjoy riding more ,you need to read more ,the tech section ,FUEL&EXHAUST, knowledge is power!!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #28 - 06/29/16 at 18:54:42

One other method not yet mentioned: modifying the Transient Enrichment Valve (TEV), a small vacuum-operated valve on the right side of the carb.

I could not get the backfires on my 2007 S40 to stop by any of the standard methods: eliminating exhaust leaks (there weren't any), adjusting the idle mix screw, changing jets. What finally worked for me was taking a small amount off the spring that is part of the TEV. If the standard methods don't work for you, I suggest taking a very small amount off the spring (such as 1/4 turn), then test for backfires for a couple of days. If you still get backfiring, take a little more off and test again.

If you weaken the spring too much, the valve will open too easily and you'll get a surge at idle, but if you weaken it just a little, the time it stays open on decel will increase but idle will be unaffected. In my case, removing 1/2 round of the spring weakened the spring just enough to almost completely eliminate backfires. Just driving around town, it never backfires. On a recent 300+ mile trip, on a variety of roads and speeds, I had a total of 3 backfires. Before this mod, I'd have more backfires than that on my 6-mile trip to work.

My two cents.

David

- David
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #29 - 06/29/16 at 20:21:00

David,

I concur with your conclusion.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:28:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 Backfiring- Do I really need to fix it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.