Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 20
Send Topic Print
July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30 (Read 2386 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30
02/03/16 at 03:38:44

This thread is for discussing and planning a ride in the NC area.  This event is just a bit later than in previous years....as June is a pretty wet month for the area.

The Deals Gap area was the base of operation in the early years, more recently it has been moved to the Blueridge Motorcycle campground which is more peaceful, has a more agreeable reservation policy, and has access to some very nice riding.  The "base camp" can be moved to satisfy the wants/needs of folks wanting to attend this gathering - and if the majority want to stay at Deals Gap and experience the thrill of the circus at "Dragon Central".....it is OK with me.

I will most likely be able to come in around Wednesday July 27th and stay through Sunday (I still have that "job" that gets in the way).

« Last Edit: 06/23/16 at 09:01:25 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: July event in Waynesville NC area - July 22-30
Reply #1 - 02/08/16 at 04:29:45

MMRanch has told me that he would like to ride the Blueridge Parkway for a couple of days at some point in his life.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/blrimap-2.pdf

The Blueridge Parkway is approximately 460 miles long....it could potentially be done in a single day - however with traffic, fuel and rest stops, and stops for sightseeing.....it would be 2 longs days or 3 average days of riding.  Starting at either end would still result in the other end a long way from anybody being home.  (For me either end is 6 hours away form home.......for MMRanch the south end is 5 hours away and the north end is 9 hours away).

There is nothing that requires us to ride the entire length - and it could be a 1 - 3 day excursion (both ways) and we could ride whatever length we felt comfortable doing - some of the best trips are done by must "winging" it.  We could all meet in Waynesville at the Blueridge Motorcycle campground for a night and then head for the Blueridge Parkway.

Does a Blueridge Parkway camping trip interest anyone?  I suspect that when you are not in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area the traffic thins out a bit.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/08/16 at 07:09:52

Not at my skill level, I still remember the Dragon trip
I might go do it on my own someday, but not with a group I ban't keep up with

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 02/08/16 at 12:43:34

The prettiest part of the parkway is between the two of you.    Mebbe do it twice (once in each direction) in separate years, starting at one persons end and riding to the other person's end?

I hate to say it, but the parts further past the Virginia boarder begin to get kinda "flattish" and mebbe not altogether as breath taking as what lies below ???

This trims it down a bit to allow for travel time to and from.   Plus, knowing that you are going to be spending a lot of time in the saddle, you could take your bigger more comfortable bikes.

« Last Edit: 02/08/16 at 16:30:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 02/08/16 at 14:16:59

What an Idea !  Grin

Does anybody we know live along the Parkway that might join in for a day or two  ?  Huh    

My first thought was to : Find camp a site in Northern third

One night on the south end , one 150 miles from the North end .
Day one   Southern camp
Day two   Northern camp
Day three Northern camp
Day four  Southern Camp

That would be (460 miles x 2 ways ) in four days .

Any other ideas ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 02/08/16 at 16:20:55

MM,

Dave gets Weds noon - Sunday night as his biggest off work stretch.  

Say you get on your end of the Blue Ridge Parkway (Cherokee at Hwy 411)  on Weds AM to go north and meet Dave at a spot on the Parkway that Dave picks on Wednesday night, then Thursday - Friday both of you go tripping north as far as Dave feels like going into Virginia.   Spend the night and then he can run back home on major roads and if you wanted you could continue on north for several more days of Blue Ridge Parkway changing to Skyline Drive and then going north all the way up to Washington DC where the Skyway ends.

This give you the long long jaunt you want and gives Dave something that he can fit into the 3-4 days of time he has off.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 02/08/16 at 20:36:17

Its more Fun  Shocked  if a bunch of us take a trip .

Wink

We'll see if more folks want to join us for a ride .   July is still a ways off.

« Last Edit: 03/13/16 at 14:20:20 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #7 - 02/08/16 at 20:58:14

If you folks are doing the B.R.P., you should take Rt. 80 down to Rt. 70 and back. It' a ways east of Mt. Mitchell down to Marion.  I have gone up it 3 times on a bicycle, switchback city. Would be great on a M/C. The rides I did started in Spartinburg, SC, and ended on top of Mt. Mitchell. We rode down in old school buses. They don't corner like a M/C, SCARRRRRY!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 02/09/16 at 08:32:54

Art Webb wrote on 02/08/16 at 07:09:52:

Art, riding the Blue Ridge Parkway is a much more laid back and easy going ride than the Dragon like roads.  I don't think you would have any problem with the ride.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/09/16 at 10:51:50

Here is an interactive map to the Blueridge.  You can use it to mark fuel stops, camping areas, museums, etc.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/map.php

Here is some planning help for motorcycle riders, and it lists some good rides adjacent to the Blueridge Parkway.

http://www.blueridgemotorcycling.com/

A feller could spend months planning a trip!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 02/09/16 at 12:14:31

LANCER wrote on 02/09/16 at 08:32:54:
Art Webb wrote on 02/08/16 at 07:09:52:

Art, riding the Blue Ridge Parkway is a much more laid back and easy going ride than the Dragon like roads.  I don't think you would have any problem with the ride.

Lancer, remember that first trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway,  Ed's busted rotor side casing,  Ed busting off both of his footpegs off with the arches of his feet,  them huge fern root ball dirt chunks he tossed out all over the road using his rear luggage rack as a fern scooper,  Ed co-rotating up there in the air with his bike in a slow mo ballet, with his spinning rear tire skinning his jacket up and leaving a very clear tire track mark up his back, and all of the rest of it.

After 10 years, we tend to think of the Parkway as tame (and to us it just means go faster) but to somebody on a new to them scooter/bike, struggling somewhat to keep up with the group, mebbe not so tame to them.   Ed was like that, you know.  

He got caught out by surprise by a decreasing radius corner set and he simply didn't know how to change his line of attack in mid curve.  He only saw the bunch of ferns he was headed towards and he visually locked in on them instead of watching the road like he was always told to do.

Roll Eyes   ..... easy and laid back except for the first 10 miles of it from the southern entrance, that is.  That is fairly exciting to do in the rain with the clouds breaking over the ridgeline line crest looking like the bottom side of a surfer's wave curl.

And remember, DO NOT WEAR SUNGLASSES in them unlighted tunnels.     Shocked   ack !!!  It is all black in here .....

« Last Edit: 02/10/16 at 04:33:00 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 02/09/16 at 16:49:01

considering everyone said the dragon run I went on was laid back, too, I tend to agree with OF, although the scooter changes direction much more easily that the S40, it's not super stable at lower speeds, and decreasing radius curves are my nemesis]I was a decreasing radius curve that dumped me into the wall on the Sister ride (luckily at low speed) it was the decreasing radius turns that scared the mess out of me on the roads all around NC, and I still don't like them much (I have a few around here, but not as tight as the ones in NC)
MM rides his Savage with NO HANDS ON THE GRIPS on roads and at speeds that I found very intimidating, that's why I won't let him blow any happy smoke up my tushy about my ability to keep up, and I really do wonder if you remember following me on the road TO the Dragon, where I held the group up as well
If I ever ride the Parkway, it'll be with a group of riders who have a similar skillset to my own (if any such low skilled riders exist outside a BRC)
TOUR GLIDES were eating my tushy on the Sisters last time

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 03/10/16 at 22:23:44

OldFeller

sound familiar :  If you folks are doing the B.R.P., you should take Rt. 80 down

I remember somebody being low on fuel and instead of going up to Mitchell
we went down to the next town on Hwy 80 to Marrion to fuel up.  I also remember a couple Harley types that wanted to keep up with that grandPaw ridding Ma's motorcycle.   Best I remember only one of them made it past the next bend in the road .   I waved friendly as I could to the other one as he slowed to turn around and check on his buddy , while I was trying to keep up with my buddy.

Some folks just can't stand to be passed !    Lips Sealed
When will they ever learn  ...  Grin

I think Hwy 80 is better than the Dragon ... and has a 55mph speed limit !  Wink

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 03/11/16 at 08:14:40

Now now ---- another one of them stories where I was gone and never saw it .....

All my very best stories take place AFTER I have left the area, apparently.

Did this one spin round and round & round because his engine was still running and the throttle lock was still set?

(I like that one the best --- it has the sparks flying off the exhaust as it scrubs along the pavement and the big Hurley motor roaring and the bike jest keeps on spinning and spinning around while the injured rider hops up and down on his one good leg)

Roll Eyes    Some people shouldn't use throttle locks, huh?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 03/11/16 at 08:57:12

throttle locks are for straight highways, not the snakey roads I saw around waynseville  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 07:00:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.