Send Topic Print
Thanks for the help! (Read 43 times)
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thanks for the help!
05/25/16 at 09:28:09

Many thanks to the members of this group who freely share their knowledge and advice. With your collective help I was able to: remove, clean and reinstall the carburetor; replace the petcock; replace the spark plug; clean the air filter; and change the oil and oil filter. I’ve always been pretty handy, but never considered myself much of a mechanic. The one mistake I made was with the carburetor. When I finished all the work and was ready to throw my leg over for a test ride, my eyes fell to the work bench where, to my dismay was sitting the large spring that that should be under the carburetor cap!! Oh well, that was a valuable lesson learned. At any rate, thanks again to all for your help which you didn't even know you were providing. I think the folks at the motorcycle shop I was taking it to for work will be seeing a lot less of me in the days ahead.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Thanks for the help!
Reply #1 - 05/25/16 at 10:41:32

Thurston,

It is always good to hear the success stories from riders learning to repair their Savage/S40s.

You will get faster and better at fixin'.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 05/25/16 at 18:03:08

The worst part of rejetting/rebuilding the carb is getting the #%@^$ thing back on! It's super tight!

I hate that feeling when you think you're done and ready to ride and find "leftover" parts!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 05/25/16 at 20:27:19

Thurston, dont feel to bad! Last weekend I had the gear reduction starter apart on a Honda ft500. I never seen a starter with so many gears and washers and bearings and spacers and springs.
I had it all back together and all the electronics checked out. From what I could see there was no reason why it shouldn't turn over. The wife came in and asked what was wrong. I told her all the electronics checked outxandxthere was cno reason why it shouldn't turn over. So what does she say?????? Momma says it must be mechanical then! And spins around and walks out!!!

The nerve o that woman!!! Huh
Well I tore the dang thing apart and discovered extra parts in the starter! I found one spacer that the book didn't call for. Took it out, closed er up; and she rolled over and started right up. I still don't know where that extra washer came from! Embarrassed

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:30:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Thanks for the help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.