Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A real problem.....???? (Read 121 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
A real problem.....????
05/22/16 at 07:47:09

I know folks are smitten with their mini computer phones.....
Heck, mine is more powerful than my first PC.

I am glad my wife talked me into getting the newer Iphone because it is too big for my pocket, and I just leave it in my backpack at work, glove box, or on my nightstand....

Before I too was always sticking my nose into it and getting lost on surfing,games, etc, totally blowing away good time where I could be productive.

Found this a good and interesting read on our technology.
I know folks at work are stealing away company time with this addiction.

Crazy how people walk, drive, without regard to their safety as this addiction steals away the moment(s) from them.

Easy to blame drug dealers, etc, for the greed they capitalize on their victims.....  
Can we extend that to Face Book and other internet venues too?

the story, right here in my own backyard:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/for-many-young-americans-comp...

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: A real problem.....????
Reply #1 - 05/22/16 at 09:24:06

I spend too much time on this forum while I am at work....but I usually drop in for a mental break from writing job specifications.  It helps to clear my head a bit to take a break.

And it doesn't have to be a computer or  smart phone to distract you from your job....even a flip phone will suffice.  We were in Florida, and we stayed in Sarasota at the La Quinta on Tamiami Trail (it fit our budget better than most places).

My wife likes to eat breakfast at the Blue Dolphin at St. Armond's Circle on Lido Island.  When we went there I saw a fellow whose job it was to empty the trash cans, and he had a cart to help him haul away the trash....and a cell phone in his hand to make him less able to do his job.  I watched him pull the tops off of the cans with one hand, remove the bags with one hand, and attempt to put new bags in using one hand,  He was working at a pace 1/3rd the speed he could have worked using both hands.....glad he wasn't on my payroll.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/22/16 at 10:44:53

My employer is Paying me to handle His business. I expect to be paid for every minute I'm on the clock. Since I never had a phone, I was never distracted, but the non business calls I got were as few as I could manage and as short as possible.
Employees who are not actually working are stealing.
If they are caught up with Their job, then go tell the boss and ask what they want done.
And, that work ethic helped Me stay employed..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 05/22/16 at 19:49:08

I need my phone for work. The boss likes to keep in touch. It's off when I'm not at work. It's not that important to me. I don't live for my phone. I have no need for apps or Facebook or...

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 05/22/16 at 23:51:15

Sad to say, my wife's addiction to her phone is putting a genuine strain on our marriage. Problem is, she can't see the problem. It make me furious wherever I go, people have their faces in their phones goggling at people who don't know, or care, that they exist, while ignoring the real people and events going on around them  :'(  .
Sorry about the rant, you touched a raw nerve.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/22/16 at 23:55:20

Take her by the hand and walk with her, talk To her, make eye contact, don't scold her lack of paying attention,Get her attention and smile at her and approve of her. Try it.

Talk about anything except what she does that bugs you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/23/16 at 03:43:58

Gizzo:

My uncle and I used to work together, and he would come into my office and want to discuss something...and his cell phone would ring.  Most of the time it was a personal call, and he would take the call and leave our conversation.  I would not take calls while we were meeting and I would call them back later - but he never noticed that I would do that.  I finally said something to him, and he took it very personally and got upset - but later on he would not have his cell phone when he came into my office...so it was worth it.

My uncle is now retired, and a couple years ago I tried to go out and eat dinner and visit with him about once a week.  We used to spend a lot of time together when I was in college and would go over to his house to help him work on his antique cars.  He has become addicted to his telephone (not the internet) - and he would get so many calls on his cell phone that I was basically eating alone.  Some of his calls could last 20 minutes, the food would arrive, I would eat and be finished, and he would still be on the telephone!  This time I didn't confront him...unfortunately I just stopped going out to eat with him.

Good luck with your wife.....I have no idea how to handle that one.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/24/16 at 08:06:42

gizzo wrote on 05/22/16 at 23:51:15:
Sad to say, my wife's addiction to her phone is putting a genuine strain on our marriage. Problem is, she can't see the problem. It make me furious wherever I go, people have their faces in their phones goggling at people who don't know, or care, that they exist, while ignoring the real people and events going on around them  :'(  .
Sorry about the rant, you touched a raw nerve.

I saw so much of this in young women when I was driving a cab
I'd be taking a couple home and the woman would be texting all the way home while the guy looked sort of confused and lost
I'd never date a woman that ignored me like that
In your situation you're already married to her
I don't really know what to say in that case
Have you tried reciprocating?
By that I mean ignoring her when she wants your attention (maybe with your phone)
THEN when SHE gets mad at you about it maybe she'll listen when you say "What? you do it to me all the time. You don't see anything wrong with it when you do it"
I'd try JOGs idea first, though, it'll be less like a psychological slap in the face
Then again, you're not the one taking his spouse for granted, so IDK
A young woman going home from her bachelorette party once asked me for marriage advice
I told her
"Just as you're more important than football, he's more important than Oprah" She seemed to get the point

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/24/16 at 08:10:46

Yeah, start nice, then, return fire.
How are your crossword puzzle skills?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 05/26/16 at 12:37:57

This thread has taken a couple of turns.  Anyway, I'm weighing in.

I work for the funeral home in the county, usually one day a week, and whenever they need me. When they need me, it is because something is going on and they need me to do something specific; work a funeral, make a removal, cemetery work, or something.

The one day a week I regularly work, I call it minding  the store. My job is to answer the phone if it rings, open the door if someone comes along, and that's about it. That's all I was told to do and the funeral director said he would turn on/ unlock the computer for me to use during the day. I take my own computer, connect to their wifi, and use that time to my best benefit. I spend, usually Thursdays, studying for my sermons, lessons, reading, and whatever else I need to do. I have looked for other things to do, so far I take out the trash and maybe wash a load of towels and sheets. I told my boss about this, that I was enjoying my time, but that I wasn't hurting myself, and if there was anything else I could do to let me know. His response: I want you to answer the phones and be a presence at the business, in case someone comes along. Whatever else you do is fine.

I have worked for the funeral home everyday this week, just been busy. Today, I was on the go all day, really haven't had much time to do "my" stuff. But that's OK. I wasn't really on my time today.

My point, (is there a point), sometimes you look at someone and think they are goofing off (and many times they are), but sometimes they are doing just what they are supposed to be doing.

And no, we don't need anymore help.  Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:22:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › A real problem.....????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.