Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Good argument for getting a windshield (Read 144 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Good argument for getting a windshield
05/25/16 at 08:03:21

I came to work on my bike this morning. I was cruising in the HOv at 70 MPH when out of no where I see what appears to be around 20 or so black marbles in the air. Next I hear about four or five explosions inside my helmet as they hit my face shield and helmet and feel the impact of a few more on my chest. I do not really know what they were but it was pretty disgusting. One of them even hit me just above my jacket zipper on my shirt. Yeah, had to clean up a bit when I arrived at work. Angry

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Good argument for getting a windshield
Reply #1 - 05/25/16 at 08:48:29

Do you have some big beetles that fly in Texas?

We are supposed to get the 17 year Locusts back this summer.  We had some a few years back when I was on a group ride and I was in the middle of the pack.  We were riding out in the country and I started seeing stuff bouncing on the highway.....after looking at it a bit I noticed some of the bouncy things were coming back off the pavement and flying in very erratic ways.  It turned out the riders in front of me were being hit by the Locusts, and the stunned Locusts were falling to the road....and some of them were trying to take off again.  The Locusts were evidently being drawn to the sound of the motorcycles, and before long I found myself bobbing and weaving my head around so I could avoid being hit.  I did get a few on my chest, arms and hands.  The good news is that like any "group ride", the speeds were pretty low and the Locusts were able to keep their insides-inside during the impact!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/25/16 at 08:51:31

Bees!!!!!... Shocked

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/25/16 at 09:14:14

I will warn you that the butterflies on the Cherohala Skyway really are filled with "butter"......lots of it! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/25/16 at 10:46:56

Either last year or the year before we had so many grasshoppers in North Texas that my boots were grasshopper green when I would return from a ride.

Fortunately very few hoppers made it up as far as my chest.
They sure as h3ll make a mess out of a motorcycle.

Kenny G

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/25/16 at 10:56:59

I really do not know what they were, but they had to be decent sized and fairly hard based on the incredible noise they made when they hit my face shield and helmet. I was scared they were bees and had possibly trapped one or two in my jacket and was going to get stung. But nope, whatever hit me did not survive and none got into my jacket.

We do have a love bug season down here. When they are out, riding is always messy. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 05/25/16 at 12:55:45

The June bug season just ended here. That are always interesting. The nuggets have armor and they smart pretty good.
Ive found one bee in my jacket, after a ride, so far this year.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 05/25/16 at 13:37:01

I followed a cattle truck hauling hogs once, even a windshield didn't help that much. Sad
 The 17 year locusts are a real trip, lived through a summer of them in PA. They sound like the ray guns from the original War of the Worlds movie and were so loud I couldn't hear the bike when riding. If you are into strange foods they cook up great with a little seasoning and a lot of beer. Mummmmm crunchy like fries Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 05/25/16 at 14:35:44

Gus wrote on 05/25/16 at 12:55:45:
The June bug season just ended here. That are always interesting. The nuggets have armor and they smart pretty good.
Ive found one bee in my jacket, after a ride, so far this year.

In 1981 I was riding a Yamaha SR500 from Memphis to the middle of Oklahoma...Okemah to be exact.  I was on I-40 heading west and doing 65-70 when a June Bug hit me dead center of my forehead.  It felt like a rock about 1" diameter.  It hurt so bad that my vision went almost completely gray.  I managed to get the bike to the side of the road without a mishap, and I sat there for at least 15, maybe 20 minutes, rubbing my forehead before I was able to continue.  That was the hardest I have ever been hit by anything on the road in my life.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 05/25/16 at 18:14:06

LANCER wrote on 05/25/16 at 14:35:44:
In 1981 I was riding a Yamaha SR500 from Memphis...

Should've stopped to say hi! I guess maybe you'd have to get permission from my 7th grade teacher first though!  Grin

I was in Louisiana once on a deserted highway outside of New Orleans (Nawlins?) and was being pelted by, what I found out later are called, Catalpa bugs. Big black, crunchy road hazards!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 05/25/16 at 20:59:35

Buuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr , Squishie Bug Guts BatMan !  --- I thing I need a TALLER windshield !!!  Undecided

I had a June-Bug hit me dead between the eyes at about 50 mph once --- the pair of plastic sunglasses I was wearing broke at the impact point and both sides pivoted from  from the ear pieces and fell to the sides  ... I've had a windshield ever since   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/26/16 at 00:19:54

And yet, I see guys with no windshield, no helmet, no eye protection...
What? Do they think bugs only hit car windshields?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 05/26/16 at 05:31:10

I don't know about the rest of the country but here in Tennessee you have to have some sort of eye protection, whether it's DOT approved goggles/glasses or a shield on your helmet. I don't think a windshield qualifies as eye protection but they are good to have for overall protection.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 05/26/16 at 06:49:50

And nobody has mentioned Love Bug season yet, had to squeege them off the face shield on my helmet once, it's a matter of quality not quanity.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 05/26/16 at 07:30:03

Actually someone did  Wink
springman wrote on 05/25/16 at 10:56:59:
We do have a love bug season down here. When they are out, riding is always messy. Grin

I think we had junebugs starting in April here in Garwood
I were a bandana round my neck to help keep the crawlies out, and to keep from being turned into a redneck on sunny days  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:33:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Good argument for getting a windshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.