Best shoes? (Read 166 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Best shoes?
05/19/16 at 05:12:13

I do about 15000 steps a day, most on concrete.
I have tried just about all designs and makes, but no matter the cost, they ALL seem to lose their comfort, support, fit, within a few months.

When your feet begin to tire, it effects your whole body it seems.

I was just wondering what others wear....
You wanna share?

So far my best results are from a sketches, their light running/walking sneakers, I think they are their Go Fit line.
A lot cheaper than NB at over 2 bills a pop.

Thanks  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Best shoes?
Reply #1 - 05/19/16 at 06:20:33

I wear work boots......14 hours a day.  I often am outside measuring streets, and on some days I can get over 25,000 steps a day!  I wear them at the office, to meetings, in the field, on my motorcycle...and to church!  I have a pair that I keep shined and pretty...and they stay that way for about a year - then they become my yard/garage boots and I get a new pair for the office.  On days that I know I will be on an asphalt street project or in the mud.....I will put the old pair in my car to wear on the jobsite.

I have very wide feet - so I have to buy boots that are made in wide sizes.  I used to buy Redwings and wore them for about 8 years - but for some reason I can't keep a shine on the leather, and after a few months of wet morning dew.....the inside can become funky smelling.  My current boot for the last 3 year are Wolverine, and the leather holds a shine well, they are comfortable for me, and I don't find that they get hot or sweaty in the summer and they have never become smelly like the Redwings did.  I bought my first pair at Sears - but they don't always have my size or the style I like....so I order them online from these folks.

http://workboots.com/wolverine-6-raider-brown

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 05/19/16 at 06:28:00

Thanks Dave, I have heard of them. I have on red wings right now, ankle high irishsetters.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/19/16 at 06:30:57

And....the Wolverines are about 2/3rd the cost of the Redwings!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 05/19/16 at 06:34:53

I used to wear skechers when I worked in a warehouse and they were the best. I don't do that kind of work any longer, but I have some Georgia Boots (that's the brand name) and I have been very pleased with their comfort over the 3 pairs I have owned.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 05/19/16 at 06:47:12

I am on my feet all day as well.  The best relief I have found is supportive insoles with the proper footwear.  I always get my shoes a half size big and I always get the 3/4 length.  It is well worth the money.   Smiley

https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 05/19/16 at 06:57:08

I used to make boots for a living. I am intimately familiar with the inner workings of a good boot. What Im about to say will sound crazy to some of you and you may not believe some of it.
The boots I'm wearing today I bought in 2001. They've been rebuilt once and are about due for another rebuilding. So they are 15 yrs old. I expect with another rebuild I'll get another 5 yrs out of them.
They are heavy because they are made of good quality leather with a leather stacked heel and vibram sole.
They are hand made in the USA and are expensive Las I checked around 300.00 new. I think the Las rebuild was around 100.00. You can get custom made but they start @ around 450.00. Their shelf hand made boots fit me fine.

Dave the reason you can't get a shine on the red wings anymore is because they went to split hide and I won't hold a shine. The smell comes from the inferior process the Chinese use for tanning
I have no idea how many steps I take but I am on the go all day and into the evening. We don't have TV.

WP_20160519_08_53_33_Pro.jpg

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 05/19/16 at 10:07:20

BTW brand name is Hawthorne they are made by White Boot company in Oregon. Whites being their custom name brand.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #8 - 05/19/16 at 11:09:56

I mostly wear tennis shoes now, and in the past have had difficulty finding any type wide enough. New Balance offers some - I have a pair of 4W now. They're comfy, but don't offer the support I would like.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #9 - 05/19/16 at 11:23:50

my 15 year old RedWing steel toe boots, worn daily, soles are slick, toe tip leather worn off and busted up mis-matched leather laces ... but they fit so good now ...

RedWing_Boots.JPG

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/19/16 at 18:04:43

Are you left handed, Rat??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #11 - 05/19/16 at 18:51:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/19/16 at 18:04:43:
Are you left handed, Rat??

NOPE ... why?  Huh

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 05/19/16 at 18:59:27

How do you guys get such great mileage out of a pair of boots? Mine are less than a year old, slick as ice, soles coming off at toe (reglued) and leather worn thin. I put the "work" in "work boots"!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #13 - 05/19/16 at 19:09:23

Im a welder/fabricator and worked the cr@p outta my feet ... this is only the 3rd pair of RedWings I've owned in over 2 decades ... they're due to be replaced, about 5 years ago ...

my first 2 pair were roached out in 3 years of working in a acidic chemical nightmare ... one time I stepped in a "puddle" which I assumed was water from a scheduled department cleaning that hadn't been squeegy'd to the drain, only to have the soles eaten off to the inner rubber pad within 3 steps ... I didn't notice until I felt a "spongy" step in my stride ...  Shocked

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 05/19/16 at 19:39:58

I maintain mine much better than,most.,I,oil them regular and never go outside when it's wet without rubbers  on. I'm kinda anal about it actually; truth be known��!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 06:52:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Best shoes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.