Who remembers this? (Read 156 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Who remembers this?
05/13/16 at 19:47:45

When the push for Gay rights was in its infancy, a slogan, very much like this: Keep the government out of our bedrooms

Remember?

Well, can those who oppose Obama's dictates say, Keep the government out of our locker rooms?

Why is ok for one, but not the other?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Who remembers this?
Reply #1 - 05/16/16 at 06:09:33

Public opinion.

People can actually get stuff done, when they try.
Like SOPA, or Obama's first attempted entry into Syria.

Consider drunk driving.
I'm sure people here can testify to this:
I used to work with an old guy. He took out a power line and flipped a Nova, while intoxicated. The cop drove him to a diner, bought him a cup of coffee, and drove him home.
Boys will be boys.

As the mentality shifted, and people began to take a stand, changing the idea of driving while intoxicated the laws became more severe. The enforcement followed this change in mind set.
Now, I'm sure some of it is also monetary. A department is issued X amount of dollars to catch people, and darnit, they will - enter the checkpoint.

You used to be able to smoke on an airplane. Now you can't smoke in your own car with your own child in the backseat.

The argument is made for concealed carry versus open carry. There are those who feel if they open carry that they can shift public opinion. The more people who realize normal firearm operators are safe, the more common place it becomes, the less afraid they will be.

"Gay" used to be a dirty word. As more people come out it is becoming more acceptable.

--Steve

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 05/16/16 at 06:44:01

I am not sure about your last statement.
I grew up in a red neck southern baptist household of Okies, and being "queer" was just a term like fat or lazy, etc,
It held no negative connotations or invited scorn.

Yes, people will behave differently according to other factors, and I have no doubt some considered it dirty and sinful, etc....
But intolerance has many stripes, none more readily apparent than the current mindset/leadership on campus.

I don't think I saw the diversions of society until the gay and lesbian activists starting pushing their agenda on others....
You force feed a baby you can choke it to death!
I agree ignorance was ripe @ homosexuality, and misconceptions plentiful, but being a militant about any cause is zealoness and spawns its own new problems of unintended consequences.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/16/16 at 06:58:07

fat or lazy, etc,

So, where you are from, fat and lazy are positives and encouraged?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 05/16/16 at 08:07:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/16/16 at 06:58:07:
fat or lazy, etc,

You read too much into things jog boy....
The context is discriptive in nature, like a tall farmer, or short preacher, or whacked out conspiracist  Grin

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/16/16 at 09:28:24

Words have power.

I don't think I ever complimented Hovis for noticing, but he once said I strung together a sentence with a few interesting choice words. I meant to say "thank you", as I selected my words carefully to detract from his argument while bolstering mine.

--Steve

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 05/16/16 at 10:53:40

Paraquat wrote on 05/16/16 at 09:28:24:
Words have power.

I don't think I ever complimented Hovis for noticing, but he once said I strung together a sentence with a few interesting choice words. I meant to say "thank you", as I selected my words carefully to detract from his argument while bolstering mine.

--Steve

Of course they do, but to hang the thrust, on the gist of a few, allows for ones own prejudices to interrupt the script to their own liking.....

BTW, in some societies it was considered a sign of prestige to be fat  Smiley

« Last Edit: 05/17/16 at 09:13:09 by verslagen1 »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/16/16 at 11:39:46

raydawg wrote on 05/16/16 at 08:07:35:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/16/16 at 06:58:07:
fat or lazy, etc,

You read too much into things jog boy....
The context is discriptive in nature, like a tall farmer, or short preacher, or whacked out conspiracist  Grin

Actually, I read what you said. You implied, no, you Stated that fat and lazy don't carry a negative connotation. Like queer.
Tall farmer is a simple description of the stature of a person who is involved in agriculture. Completely void of anything that would create a negative image, unless someone is disgusted by the people who feed others.
Fat and lazy are mhm negative words, like stupid and ignorant.
Ignorance is repairable, but only if someone is willing to accept that they are lacking understanding and not so stupid that they can't be taught the truth.
Might wanna slip your foil back in the sheath.

But, thanks for playing..

Next...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 05/16/16 at 14:25:56

Ok, watch, I am typing slow.....

I envy Bot, he is so rich he can live a fat and lazy life while I have to work my arse to the bone.....

Next

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/16/16 at 15:33:25

Congratulations.
You've managed to take two descriptive terms that I see as undesirable and used them in a manner that is atypical.
Well, depending on the colloquialisms you're accustomed to.
That's like Totally Sick.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 05/16/16 at 15:39:38

Yeah Dawg?,... how much does your boss pay you to sit here on your lazy ass and spout your BS at the TT all day?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 05/16/16 at 15:58:38

Serowbot wrote on 05/16/16 at 15:39:38:
Yeah Dawg?,... how much does your boss pay you to sit here on your lazy ass and spout your BS at the TT all day?...

way too much......

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 05/16/16 at 17:09:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/16/16 at 15:33:25:
Congratulations.
You've managed to take two descriptive terms that I see as undesirable and used them in a manner that is atypical.
Well, depending on the colloquialisms you're accustomed to.
That's like Totally Sick.

Agree, it all depends on what is, is......  Wink

Meanwhile, Bot is still fat, lazy, and miserable, it seems.
Must be tuff for a card carrying, kool-aid chugging, intolerant open minded libs these past few days.
Either that or he really is scared to go into a public restroom and he is getting all anal retentive  Grin  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 05/16/16 at 22:01:22

Dawg,... your core is quite ugly...

I don't think that of many people...

Sorry

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 05/17/16 at 03:30:38

Serowbot wrote on 05/16/16 at 22:01:22:
Dawg,... your core is quite ugly...

I don't think that of many people...

Sorry

Sorry for what?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:40:00

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Who remembers this?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.