Send Topic Print
Torque numbers (Read 85 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Torque numbers
05/12/16 at 22:40:52

So I recently did the clutch gasket and torqued the bolts to 3.5 foot pounds and nothing leaks, is this good? Too little, too much? I didn't want To go crazy.

Only reason I ask is because Every time I ask someone else responds with a different number. Some 100 in-lb some way less.I don't know what's right, and the clymer manual dont say anything.

IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Re: Torque numbers
Reply #1 - 05/12/16 at 23:04:19

All that I can found is in the Clymers manual on page 160 it seas "If the special washers are not installed the right-hand crankcase cover will leak oil. tighten the bolts securely." so it dont say how match but if it is a crash gasket tape I will go good but not gorilla good  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/13/16 at 03:54:56

The torque value listed in the Tech Section is 6.5 - 9.6 ft/lbs.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098848534

Most of us don't have a torque wrench that accurately read numbers this low.....my 150 ft/lb "click" torque wrench doesn't like to click at number below 30 ft./lbs.

To tighten the clutch cover bolts/screws I use a 1/4" drive screwdriver handle for most the work, and then for the final tightening I use the 1/4" ratchet.....with the wrench in my palm and I only tighten using my right hand.  These screws need to be "firmly snug" - not "tight".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/14/16 at 16:26:30

Dave wrote on 05/13/16 at 03:54:56:
The torque value listed in the Tech Section is 6.5 - 9.6 ft/lbs.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098848534

Most of us don't have a torque wrench that accurately read numbers this low.....my 150 ft/lb "click" torque wrench doesn't like to click at number below 30 ft./lbs.

To tighten the clutch cover bolts/screws I use a 1/4" drive screwdriver handle for most the work, and then for the final tightening I use the 1/4" ratchet.....with the wrench in my palm and I only tighten using my right hand.  These screws need to be "firmly snug" - not "tight".

Yes indeed, it is an educated and experienced hand that can differentiate the torque required for assorted bolts.  
This is especially so in aluminum where threads can be stripped more easily.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/16/16 at 11:28:41

Or you can get the 1/4" torque wrench from Harbor Freight (about $10.00 when on sale). I very much undertightened the bolts when I did them by feel and I was leaking oil. So I got the wrench and tightened them correctly and no more leak.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 05:33:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Torque numbers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.