Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
June exploration of Franklin NC Area (Read 708 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
June exploration of Franklin NC Area
05/09/16 at 12:38:17

Oldfeller sez:    Pick your weekend and we can all see if we can match it.   Sounds like you and MM are more familiar with the area than me (first time for me, I think).

Dave sez:   The only weekend that I could not do it....is the June 11/12th weekend.

Subject is to explore the Franklin NC campgrounds and cabins first hand, looking for a replacement for Simple Life (since they upped prices and killed off all their cheap 4 man cabins).

So far Dave has said what he can't do date-wise and we got some "undefined" hits on the other thread that were not clear as to which trip they were ringing in on, so we have moved this trip over to here to keep things "more clear".

« Last Edit: 05/09/16 at 13:53:41 by Dave »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: June exploration of Franklin NC Area
Reply #1 - 05/09/16 at 14:03:39

The Franklin, NC area is a great place to do some exploring around in the mountains.  Route 28 is goes from Franklin right up to the Dragon....and it is a great twisty road all by itself....the bonus is the Dragon is at the north end!

The Highlands is nearby and is very scenic, and the southern roads out of town go to Georgia.

I have a local fellow as a resource to get us on the correct roads - he stays in Franklin regularly, has been going there for years, and he rides a Ducatio Multi-Strada (and as a former road racer he knows how to use it)!  I will have him mark up a map for me so that we know all his favorite twisty roads.

This isn't planned to be a week long event - maybe a long weekend for a few of us.  If you want to get there early or stay late - that is OK too.

The only weekend in June that I can't do it - is June 11-12th.  Any other weekend is fine - but we might want to stay away form the end of the month as that could  be too close to your July 4th plans.

I could drive/ride down on a Thursday night and ride Fri/Sat/part Sunday.

June 3,4,5?

June 17,18,19?

June 24,25,26?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/10/16 at 02:58:48

Sounds good, let's aim for the weekends with clear weather.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/franklin-nc/28734/june-weather/334781?monyr=...

3-4-5 looks real bad now -- worse than 16-17-18 which is worse than June 24-25-26  (both will change some once we get inside the 1-2 week out range as the predictive math used is different and the accuracy goes way up).  

Still, we need some somewhat decent weather to move around in .....

Since it is an easy explore trip I will try to find us a cheap place with an unload ramp and bring the bike on the trailer so as to make sure it works right.

We will try cabins to see what reality is with the cheapie cabins, real reality all the way.

« Last Edit: 05/11/16 at 16:25:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/11/16 at 12:42:03

http://www.mimountaincampground.com/RV-Campgrounds-Cabin-Rentals.html

Thought I had found a winner in Mi Mountain camp ground until I noticed the cabins said "Bring your own mattress" .....

What the heck?   Are people so sensitive over bugs of various kinds they will not sleep on a campground mattress any more?

Or does everybody pack their own foam or air mattress now-a-days?

Huh

So, being me I called the man and asked him -- they had had cloth covered foam mattresses at first but some campers tore some of them up and the remainder got mildewed by the humidity, so they tossed the foam mattresses, dropped the price of the rooms and started recommending "bring your own double air bed".

I was told that these were not fancy digs, the bunk beds were plywood and 2x4s with no fancy anywhere.

$38 dollars a night, 2 beds and a futon per cabin (has cheapie TV and small fridge).  

One of the two existing $30 a night plain jane cabins has two homemade bunk beds and sleeps 4 people, no fridge or tv.  

Very very basic sleeping at $8 each after taxes which is cheaper than camping at most places.  But no pillows and no mattresses ......

« Last Edit: 05/11/16 at 16:27:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 05/11/16 at 13:49:27

http://kickstandlodge.com/rates.html

Next player is Kickstand Lodge which is close to Bryson (and the Emergency Room we keep visiting with them over-eager younger type new persons).    They have a thing they call the Bunkhouse which has six beds in it at $22 per person.   They show pillows and mattresses in the pics.  Beds and that is it ..... just beds.

This is somewhat vague and offers me chances to misunderstand the pricing (to my advantage of course).  If the interpretation goes the other way it is exactly the same price as Dragon Lodge Apartment #1 which would be not good at all.  Plus, the cancellation policy sounds exactly like Dragon Lodge.  

There isn't any cancellation, period -- you pay when you reserve it.  No money back, period.

So I called Mo to try to get me some better information.   Got her answering machine and we will see what is what when she calls back.   She called back, you reserve the Bunkhouse for the amount you anticipate, you pay that amount and they keep your money if somebody doesn't show up.   If more show up, you pay more.

Dave, what does your local expert source say ????

I am hoping Dave's local expert knows of some better stuff hidden away somewhere deeper in towards Georgia ...... really, I do.

« Last Edit: 05/12/16 at 02:53:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/11/16 at 19:06:13

I will email Dean tomorrow and see where they stay.  He evidently is thrifty when the go....so I imagine they don't go top shelf.  He goes to the area twice a summer.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/13/16 at 04:34:56

Here is Dean's response:

We have been staying at the Sapphire Inn in Franklin, but probably will not in the future. Getting a little run down.
http://www.thesapphireinn.com/
The Knights Inn in Franklin looks good and we will probably look at it in the future or the Carolina Motel.
http://www.knightsinn.com/hotels/north-carolina/franklin/knights-inn-franklin...
http://www.carolinamotel.com/
In Robbinsville there is the Phillips Motel. I have stayed there and it is a very nice Mom and Pop type motel.
http://phillipsmotelonline.com/
If you go to this web site and look down the right side of the home page there are a lot of lodging choices.
http://tailofthedragon.com/
If you ride the Cherohala Skyway, just as you come off the Skyway on the west end near Tellico Plains, the first deli on the right (going west) is Tellico Kats. Great lunch. Highly recommend.
http://tellicokats.com/

MM, his brother Kent and I assembled at the Kat's Deli on the summer trip 2 year ago....it is a nice lunch place to stop and it has a nice deck that is right on the river.

I clicked on the Nights Inn, a room for 2 adults is $ 65 a night, and they only have 3 rooms left for June 16/17/18.  The Carolina Hotel was $ 70 a night......their screen didn't show the number of rooms available.

I don't have any problem paying those kind of rates for a nice, clean hotel....with a comfortable bed and shower.  I also can rough it a bit more....cabins and a campground style public bath/showers also work for me.  If I bring the trailer.....it is cozy to sleep in and I just need the shower/restroom access.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 05/13/16 at 13:16:58

Wow, hotels, huh ......

Unless we are going to invest in some air mattresses and go all crude & RUDE we are going to be spending some bucks on staying places if we stay inside.

Might as well stick with the original MM tent idea.  

As of this moment, we got no places in mind to go check out, really, and we recognize that costs are going up all over the place for cabins and tent spots, etc.

Sad

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/13/16 at 18:20:25

Well, I could bring my trailer and sleep in it.  I also have some extra foam, and some comfy cots if they will fit in the cabins that don't have mattresses.

For this trip, we could just stay in the cheap place and take some time to look around and see what else is available.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 05/14/16 at 03:43:39

http://www.mimountaincampground.com/RV-Campgrounds-Cabin-Rentals.html

OK,

Mi Mountain $30 bare bed cabins it is for a try out.   I will get me an inflator that will also suck deflate an air mattress flat fairly quickly, 12 volt version since I have a 12 volt socket on my bike.  

Think of it as "trip planning" for the up the Blue Ridge run and any future rough type runs.      Mi Mountain is 28 miles from the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway (a standard breakfast run) and if acceptable to the guys Mi Mountain could be the meet up place instead of the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground.  

Same exact air bed equipment for tenting that would also support a "stripped bunk bed" situation that may be the up and coming thing due to the horde of insecticide proof bed bugs and head lice coming up from Mexico.

MM, didn't you get a 12v  inflator a few trips back?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/franklin-nc/28734/june-weather/334781?monyr=...

The weather prediction is fairly stable, saying June 17-18-19 is our best shot for the explore session, so we will go with that.  

Also, we have 2 extra beds in the cabin at Mi Mountain if someone wants to join us June 17.

How many days do you want to reserve the cabin, or do you want to plan to move around each night?   I plan to ride up on the bike, as if I can't stand the ride up and back I need to know that fairly quickly -- but I am also "more healthy" than before since I got my valve replaced so I hope I can ride to and back from at a nice leisurely pace.

« Last Edit: 05/15/16 at 17:58:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 05/14/16 at 06:28:10

Amazon had sleeping bag sized thick style airbeds for $12.95 (that can be rolled up in with the sleeping bag) and a little 12v inflator for $11  (gotta love them damaged package units from the Warehouse Discount section).  

I have a 25 amp fuse in my lighter socket on my bike, so I am good to let the bike idle while pumping or sucking using the little 12 volt tool.   Looking to fit it all on the Savage and just be mobile.

We need to spit on whether we move each night or not on the explore trip -- best weather is showing for June 17-18-19.

Also, we have 2 extra beds in the cabin at Mi Mountain if someone wants to join us June 17.

« Last Edit: 05/17/16 at 02:43:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 05/18/16 at 01:21:15

Got MM to post something -- he isn't going.

So, Dave and I are going exploring.   MM is building a new carport to hold his 4 cars and various vehicles .... he has a few, he does.    He's busy ......

We can stay where we want since we will be checking out places to stay.  

One place we will detour to check out is Don's Cabins that is right exactly at the southern mouth of the Blue Ridge Parkway and we will be checking that one out as it is FAMOUS on the internet because it is not even on the internet (has no home page) and the guy who runs it is apparently a luddite that hasn't ever seen his facebook ratings and is blissfully unaware he is already famous for all the wrong reasons.

Since I can't believe people would really rather camp naked in the woods rather than stay at Don's we simply gotta go check the place out.

Wink

Also, we have 2 extra beds in the cabin at Mi Mountain if someone wants to join us June 17.    This is a free weekend, since we have a default $30 place to go to I can afford to spot you room rent.    

You will have to gas your scoot and feed yerself -- I can't support your evil habits beyond basic room rent.

DO CHIME IN AND SAY YOU ARE COMING --- if we need to pack a spare air mattress we need to know that coming in.

« Last Edit: 05/18/16 at 02:27:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/18/16 at 03:15:45

So are you looking to wander and find a new place to stay each night....or will we be using Mi Mountain as the basis of lodging for this weekend?

It makes a difference which bike I bring.....I can't haul bedding and clothing on the Savage Cafe' bike.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 05/18/16 at 13:37:45

I will come in light and mobile, but that's just me trying it out.   I may grow a small bed roll rack over my tail light, but that's about it.

If you want to come in on a different scooter or a car & trailer, that's great with me.   I am just trying out my camping rig for next month the hard way, the way that really really counts.  

I understand not wanting to ride the Cafe in, as it is somewhat uncomfortable and not luggage friendly, but you do have a new Honda 750 and another 650 Savage that should be somewhat more friendly on your butt and bones and should be able to carry more stuff.  

Which one do you plan to take up the Blue Ridge Parkway anyway?   Pack and ride that one like it was for real -- make it a real test case time.   You will learn something by doing it, I am pretty sure.

I will bring a bed roll, two air beds (I would anyway) and two small plastic sheets to keep them wood splinters away from the air beds, so you can proof one of them out for me if you want to.  Plus the little 12 volt air pumper/sucker.  And a one gallon gas container .....  betcha I get  to use that on some of them long Blue Ridge Parkway Stretches .......

We can decide what we are doing when we get there .......   We have a cabin for the first night (Friday) and are just hunting for a spot for Saturday night.

(we'll play like we are following MM and the plans just got expanded upon by the daily periodic GPS updates)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/18/16 at 14:51:58

I only have the Cafe' Savage...the rescue bike was sold to a local women learning how to ride....and she is thrilled with it.  It did turn out to be a really nice looking and great running bike.  I was sorry to see it go - but the sale of the ST1100 and the Rescue Savage financed the purchase of the NT700.

I have the Cafe', the Ninja 250, and the NT700.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 17:54:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › June exploration of Franklin NC Area

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.