Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
2000 Savage clanking noise (Read 1148 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: 2000 Savage clanking noise
Reply #15 - 05/09/16 at 08:06:14

sorry went back listened to your recording, I think you may have your valves set to tight, I would reset .(loose  is ok ,tight causes burnt valves)rotate engine the sane as the wheels ,some books have it backward I  had this happen, had same sounds ,rechecked ,(to tight),reset to .005,good to go!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #16 - 05/10/16 at 09:46:36

Don't mean to "Hijack this" but sounds to me as if there isn't any oil getting to the top end. You mentioned someone did a botched top end job. May be they plugged up the oil galley with silicone or crud?
Could also be the upper connecting rod bearing is beat out...

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #17 - 05/10/16 at 10:51:30

batman wrote on 05/09/16 at 08:06:14:
sorry went back listened to your recording, I think you may have your valves set to tight, I would reset .(loose  is ok ,tight causes burnt valves)rotate engine the sane as the wheels ,some books have it backward I  had this happen, had same sounds ,rechecked ,(to tight),reset to .005,good to go!

Hi, I've tried looser and tighter clearances with no change in the sound, and they are now spot on .10mm.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #18 - 05/10/16 at 11:05:29

Savageman wrote on 05/10/16 at 09:46:36:
Don't mean to "Hijack this" but sounds to me as if there isn't any oil getting to the top end. You mentioned someone did a botched top end job. May be they plugged up the oil galley with silicone or crud?
Could also be the upper connecting rod bearing is beat out...

I have to check the oil pressure, is there a bolt on the head cover that's suitable for that?

I also had an opinion that it might be a snapped piston ring, but I kinda hope that I won't have to open up the cylinder or split up the lower engine, albeit the DR650 piston set at Partzilla isn't that expensive.

I got a 36mm wrench for cheap, tomorrow I'm going to remove the magneto rotor and see what's up with the nut  Wink

Thanks to all for your responses!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 05/10/16 at 11:11:04

The factory DR650 piston kit really isn't cutting edge for the Savage....unless you are talking about the Wiseco piston made to fit the DR650.  It will require a bore as the smallest they made for he DR is 95mm, and the Savage is 94mm.

If you cylinder is good - you would be better off with this:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1455470509

If you didn't have cam or rocker wear when you had your head off, chances are your oil flow is fine.  Take the front valve inspection cover off....if the parts inside are oily - you are getting oil up there.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #20 - 05/10/16 at 11:27:31

Dave wrote on 05/10/16 at 11:11:04:
The factory DR650 piston kit really isn't cutting edge for the Savage....unless you are talking about the Wiseco piston made to fit the DR650.  It will require a bore as the smallest they made for he DR is 95mm, and the Savage is 94mm.

If you cylinder is good - you would be better off with this:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1455470509

If you didn't have cam or rocker wear when you had your head off, chances are your oil flow is fine.  Take the front valve inspection cover off....if the parts inside are oily - you are getting oil up there.

There has been oil every time I've checked and the cam and rockers were fine, but it might be that they've been replaced with the cam chain as the chain is clearly quite new as the tensioner isn't out that much.

Good to know that the OEM DR650 piston won't fit, surprisingly the Wisecos don't cost that much either.

By the way, the bike hasn't been driven or run in two years, might that have any affect to the noise?  

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #21 - 05/10/16 at 11:40:12

If it's not "No Oil' in the top end or the top con rod bearing it could be the valves hitting the top of the piston if the valve timing is out by a stretched timing chain. Sounds pretty solid of a knock and you mentioned metal flakes in the oil filter? Not a good sign either. Use a stethoscope to pinpoint were that nasty knock is coming from. Seemed to occur when you revved up the engine and stay. I would check the cam lobes and rockers for galling and wear due to no oil up there. And while the top end is off check the valve timing.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 05/10/16 at 11:57:56

The cam chain cannot stretch far enough to let the valves hit the head - but he did say the head cover was off from a previous owner, and it would not hurt to check the timing to confirm the previous owner didn't get the chain installed incorrectly if they had the cam chain out previously.

I am not sure we have ever seen an upper rod bearing go bad....generally the piston fails from a lack of oil before the rod or crank does.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 05/10/16 at 12:37:40

That's a pretty tinny sounding racket. Where were you holding what you recorded it with?

Leaving it on the sidestand and troubleshooting it starves the cam for oil. If you're gonna be leaving it running while you study it, get it as close to vertical as possible and if you're gonna be running it very long, a fan blowing on that air cooled motor isn't a bad idea.
The RPM related clanking makes me wonder about something in the exhaust.

Instead of the screwdriver/stethoscope, try a piece of plastic tubing. Not recommended for contact with too scorching hot surfaces.
A piece that fits in the ear and a metal rod shoved in the other end can be handy. I have an old stethoscope that I shoved a rod into. They are cheap. And a mechanics stethoscope isn't that much, either. Pardon me for saying it, but, it, Sounds like you could use one.

If you could get the guy who sold it to you to be honest about what he had done to it before it started doing that, you might be ahead.
I don't understand why anyone would step off into
Bobbing a Savage and leave that turd of a muffler on it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 05/10/16 at 13:18:01

how about  po that didn't use a sealer on the top cap also didn't line up the timing marks putting on what appears to be a new chain.Haven't we heard that the motor will run being off a tooth on the cam gear, abet not well, valves hitting piston maybe.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 05/10/16 at 13:31:30

If it was my bike, and considering the shady history of the bike....I would most likely take the engine out of the frame, take the top end apart and see what stuff looks like.

Once the head is off and you can see the cam/rockers/head and valves look like.  If nothing looks bad up there (and you know what to look for), I would take the cylinder off and inspect the piston/cylinder/rod/crank.

If this is a bike you are going to keep and ride and put some miles on....it is a worthwhile investment of time and money to have the engine put back together and reliable.  You can decide what parts the bike needs to become reliable again.....worn out or damaged parts should be replaced.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 05/10/16 at 13:31:53

If there is valve/piston interface I could understand not being able to isolate  the noise as it would travel to the bottom end via piston/crank and cam chain passage turning side cases into speakers

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #27 - 05/10/16 at 13:48:16

As for it being the flywheel being loose I believe there has only been two cases on this site that makes the odds 2500 to 1 that you would be number 3

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 05/10/16 at 13:48:29

batman wrote on 05/10/16 at 13:31:53:
If there is valve/piston interface I could understand not being able to isolate  the noise as it would travel to the bottom end via piston/crank and cam chain passage turning side cases into speakers

I had a problem isolating my loose flywheel nut.  The left side of the crank where the flywheel is located does not touch the left side of the case....the vibrations travel into the crank, through the crank bearings and into the left/right center case halves......it just couldn't be isolated as it shook the entire engine.  I had the top of he engine apart, and was taking the left side rotor off, then when I went to take the flywheel nut off and I was expecting 100 ft./lbs. of force to remove it.....I was surprised when I put the socket on with my hand and I could turn the nut!

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #29 - 05/10/16 at 13:51:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/16 at 12:37:40:
That's a pretty tinny sounding racket. Where were you holding what you recorded it with?

Leaving it on the sidestand and troubleshooting it starves the cam for oil. If you're gonna be leaving it running while you study it, get it as close to vertical as possible and if you're gonna be running it very long, a fan blowing on that air cooled motor isn't a bad idea.
The RPM related clanking makes me wonder about something in the exhaust.

Instead of the screwdriver/stethoscope, try a piece of plastic tubing. Not recommended for contact with too scorching hot surfaces.
A piece that fits in the ear and a metal rod shoved in the other end can be handy. I have an old stethoscope that I shoved a rod into. They are cheap. And a mechanics stethoscope isn't that much, either. Pardon me for saying it, but, it, Sounds like you could use one.

If you could get the guy who sold it to you to be honest about what he had done to it before it started doing that, you might be ahead.
I don't understand why anyone would step off into
Bobbing a Savage and leave that turd of a muffler on it..

I sat on the bike while recording with my phone on the right hand and moving it around, can't really remember where.

Bought it from a friend who got it in a trade, all he could say is that the PO had replaced the cam chain. It had a straight pipe when I bought it, and there was a clanking then too, but maybe it was slightly different. I have to check the exhaust and buy a stethoscope. Haven't really dared to rev the engine due to the noise, but it seems to be louder at lower revs. I haven't driven it yet, either.

The timing is correct AFAIK, the marks on the cam shaft end were vertical when the left side plug hole mark was lined up with the crank shaft marking.

The upper con rod bearing is the piston pin, right?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:50:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2000 Savage clanking noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.