Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag Support Bracket Clearance (Read 203 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Saddlebag Support Bracket Clearance
Reply #15 - 05/17/16 at 08:42:07

Standard Viking bags with the soft front and hard plastic back.  These stock supports are the small version and on my original bags they only rested on the front upper quadrant of the bags leaving the rest virtually open and unadhered to anything.  This is partially because the PO installed them this way because they had to not hit the rear turn signals. So the bags, although ties to the bracket, had a tendency to twist and dangle since they were not supported all the way across the surface of the bags.

My original plan was to do a hard mount only, but I ended up going for the throwover combined with the underside support. Had I used the stock brackets, the only way to make a good connection was to drill holes in the back of the saddlebag and run zip ties around the bracket and back through and tie on the inside. That's how my old bags were and the ties always snapped and the bags would dangle and bounce around mid-ride. I hated and it not to mention the safety concerns.

So, I made the brackets and ran the horizontal aluminum piece to run from the front to the rear across the lower edge of the bag so it is not allowed to twist or turn. Not to mention that the bags are BOLTED to the brackets and not zip tied so these puppies won't come loose.

Look at this picture of the old and you can see the bracket on the let side and the "dangling" on the right bag due to snapped zip ties.

IMG_20160419_175040.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #16 - 05/17/16 at 08:42:48

New bags with my throwover and bracket mount.

IMG_20160511_080557.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #17 - 05/17/16 at 08:48:18

those new bags fit the lines of the bike better ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #18 - 05/17/16 at 09:02:33

Thanks!
Although the Viking hard mounting kit doesn't fit our bikes, I am pleased with the look and quality of the bags for the price. I like making stuff so it didn't hurt my feelings to have to make the brackets.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #19 - 05/17/16 at 09:18:53

Stew,

That is a good looking professional job. The saddle bags look like they belong on your bike.

Kenny G

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #20 - 05/17/16 at 11:56:13

Thanks KennyG.  I am very happy with them so far. Did you see my PM regarding the stock brackets?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #21 - 05/17/16 at 20:19:24

Stew,

Yes I saw the PM and replied.

Thank You!

Kenny G

IP Logged
Hugo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/02/16 at 11:14:45

Hi Stew,

I really like what you did with the brackets. I am leaving towards doing something like that as well. Correct me if I am wrong, but the brackets that you made, you bent them yourself right?

How far did you make the gap between the bags and the bike?

I would appreciate your input for I have Viking bags that I want to put on my bike and I am all for making parts.

Thank you,

Hugo

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #23 - 06/02/16 at 15:08:28

Hugo,

Thanks.  Yes, I just got 1/8" flat bar from the hardware store and bent it in my vice.  There is a little flex if you tug on the bags, but they aren't carrying the weight of the bags since I am using the throwover strap also, so all the brackets are really doing is keeping the bags from banging around on the sides of the bike. So far after about 700 miles they seem to be doing just fine.

If I recall correctly, I think there is 2" step out on the brackets.  

I had another member here also ask me a few questions.  I was in a rush to get mine installed as I was headed to the Dragon and didn't stop to take good pictures. Maybe tonight or this weekend I can take one of the bags off and offer some better pictures and measurements of the brackets.  It was fun (sarcasm) getting it figured out, but once I did it wasn't bad at all.  Maybe I can help others here bypass some of my frustrations. Wink

Also, I had to relocate my rear turn signals.  Are you doing that also?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Hugo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/02/16 at 15:17:56

Stew,

If you can take some pics, it would be of tremendous help. I would appreciate that a lot. I was also not sure about using the throw over strap but it makes sense to use it so the the brackets won't carry all the weight, good point. I am assuming the throw over is going on top of the seat not under it.... Right?

I got be bags a while ago so I did relocate the turn signals.

I got the same bar you did and bent it with my vice. I made a simple U, I can take pictures if interested, and placed the piece right above the license place.
I've riden over 2,000 miles and the turn lights are grea and nothing has happened.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-Hugo

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #25 - 06/02/16 at 21:05:14

I did my throwover under the seat. It all buttons up almost perfect that way and looks cleaner if you're a neat freak like me. I reinforced the wires under the seat that the strap rides over with electrical tape just to be safe. And the strap lined up properly fits perfect behind the rectifier so rectifier doesn't have to be touched.

I'll try to get some pics and measurements this weekend and it will make much more sense.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Meme
YaBB Newbies

Knees in the breeze!

Reno, NV
Reply #26 - 06/04/16 at 08:56:03

Nice job. Those bags look good.

I also envy you for going to the Dragon.  I'd love to ride there, but it's a bit of a long ride from Reno. Cheesy

'96 Savage, 93XX miles, drilled exhaust cap.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag Support Bracket Clearance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.