Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2012 S40 with MAC Exhaust System (Read 264 times)
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2012 S40 with MAC Exhaust System
Reply #15 - 05/07/16 at 06:20:57

My latest endeavor is tuned-length intake stacks.  The big single needs a lot of length and I have a lot more to go but this is a good start.  You can see the YDIS twin-carb setup in the picture.

Primary is a 27mm flat-slide with inlet bell mated to 1-1/4" NPS coupling and then 1.75" OD tube with 1.75" K&N pod.

Secondary is a 27mm CV with inlet bell mated to 1-1/2" NPS coupling and then 2.00" OD tube with 2.00" K&N pod.

Tuned intake runners can get you big gains over certain RPM ranges.  This particular setup really boosted my midrange torque and power.

IMG_2619_Large_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 05/07/16 at 07:14:51

DesertRat wrote on 05/06/16 at 11:58:29:
I'm a slow learner, took me a couple times fighting with the d@mned tank before I realized if I remove the petc0ck 1st, the tank comes off WAY EASIER ...  Cheesy

Yep, it just pulls right off!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #17 - 05/07/16 at 07:28:02

VortecCPI wrote on 05/07/16 at 06:20:57:
Tuned intake runners can get you big gains over certain RPM ranges.

Yep, you'd be surprised. I like math and numbers. Try this formula for a close idea of what RPMs you're influencing.  Wink

A = Primary runner area in sq. centimeters
L = Primary runner length in cm
Cr = Compression ratio
V = Displacement per cylinder in cc's
c = Speed of sound (340 m/s)

642 * c * sqr(A / (L * V)) * sqr((Cr - 1) / (Cr + 1))

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/07/16 at 13:41:02

Round 3 of SRX600 intake tuning.

So this is what happens when you have a big single that can only turn 7,000.  This is my third attempt at intake tuning and each time it got longer it got stronger.  Original setup was pods on the bells and that was garbage.

I did create an airbox area by installing a cover over the open ind of the swingarm. The priimary filter is now serviceable via the side cover. Since this filter sees 80% of the air intake duty it needs to be cleaned more often than the secondary filter so this is great.

Also... The secondary filter now has way more breathing area around it because the primary filter is no longer right next to it. not only that, the new primary runner has opened up space for fresh air to more easily reach the secondary filter.

So far I can see only benefits and no negatives to this very simple modification.

So now that we have increased the intake runner length what does that do for the engine? Total primary runner length is now right about 20" which gives:

+ For 2nd harmonic, RPM range is from 5,874 to 7,128 with a pulse strength of 10 percent
+ For 3rd harmonic, RPM range is from 4,414 to 5,044 with a pulse strength of 7 percent
+ For 4th harmonic, RPM range is from 3,441 to 3,848 with a pulse strength of 4 percent

Blah, blah blah... So what does it mean? It means the primary intake runner is now tuned for three different harmonics that are ALL withing my engine's operating range! I just get a BIG boost from 5,874 to 7,128, a GOOD boost from 4,414 to 5,044 and a SMALL boost from 3,441 to 3,848.

So what else? The secondary runner is tuned for 4th harmonic, RPM range is from 5,984 to 6,692 with a pulse strength of 4 percent. So while the secondary runner is not optimal it WILL add a small boost from 5,984 to 6,692. That coupled with the primary 2nd harmonic should work great.

So what did it do?  A LOT.  Kind of hard to believe what a difference it made.  The exhaust note now has a very distinct CRACK from about 4,000 to 6,000.  I believe this is from the mild ram effect of the system.  Absolutely stupid amounts of torque from an internally stock engine.  I can't wait to get the Web (3)87 in there with a Wossner piston milled for 10:1.

I know, I know...  It's in the wrong forum but I figured you guys might enjoy it.

IMG_2675_Large.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 05/07/16 at 23:03:25

Kris01 wrote on 05/07/16 at 07:28:02:
VortecCPI wrote on 05/07/16 at 06:20:57:
Tuned intake runners can get you big gains over certain RPM ranges.

Yep, you'd be surprised. I like math and numbers. Try this formula for a close idea of what RPMs you're influencing.  Wink

A = Primary runner area in sq. centimeters
L = Primary runner length in cm
Cr = Compression ratio
V = Displacement per cylinder in cc's
c = Speed of sound (340 m/s)

642 * c * sqr(A / (L * V)) * sqr((Cr - 1) / (Cr + 1))

Where did you get 642?
What is the *?
Did you come up with that formula?
I think intake tuning is important.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/08/16 at 04:28:05

Kris01 wrote on 05/07/16 at 07:28:02:
Where did you get 642?
What is the *?
Did you come up with that formula?
I think intake tuning is important.

The formula is for Helmholtz Resonance and "*" represents product (multiplication).  There are many formulas for intake tuning and this is one of them.  Intake valve closing/timing also plays into it but that is only if you must be tuned for an extremely specific RPM range.  If I was a sponsored racer I would likely be a heck of a lot more precise.

The bottom line is the intake originally had a length of only 8", which was really not even usable for the big single.  The second intake had a length of only 11.5", which was starting to be usable for the big single.  This last intake has a length of 20", which is very usable for the big single.

I was fortunate because the SRX has ample room under the tank and under the seat.  It is kick-start only and has a tiny 3.3AH SLA 3.3 battery.  I used all that area to fit all the new intake components.

The factory SRX600 uses the same tiny flat filter the SRX uses.  My SRX now has 60 sq in of air filter area (not including p;eats) which is pretty large.

I used this site to get me close:  http://www.bgsoflex.com/intakeln.html

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 05/08/16 at 09:24:36

To answer your question JOG...

Yeah...what he said!  Grin

The Helmholtz formula will get you close. There are too many variables for it to be exact.The real world doesn't run off of a calculator.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 05/08/16 at 13:20:39

I think intake tuning is important. .. Still.
But sucking air in is not driven by a piston, so, if you want peak performance, you need to look at this. I would like to see this studied on the savage.
Like jetting, it's just doing the best you can. There's no
Perfect. But, if someone is gonna spend the money and time to work on the exhaust and cam, or more, they otta check out what a tuned intake can do.
I wish I woulda had the formula and smarts to use it. All I could get done was increase the volume of the airbox a little..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #23 - 05/08/16 at 15:13:26

The problem with a motorcycle is we can't cut a hole in the hood and stick a tunnel ram intake through it. We're very limited with how much space we have. It's a compromise at best to get good performance with a tuned intake.

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/10/16 at 06:00:57

I finally tuned the secondary side as well.

Correct in that engines don't "suck".  The piston creates a low pressure area that is filled by way of 14.7 PSIA of atmospheric pressure rushing into the low-pressure area.

Runner area controls velocity and runner length controls resonant frequencies.  I did the best I could given the volume I had available, which is about 600 cubic inches.  Total air cleaner surface area is 63 square inches, not including pleats.

Each time I decreased runner area and/or increased runner length the midrange got stronger and stronger.

IMG_2684_Large.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 05/10/16 at 06:07:12

So, based on what you have learned, would it be reasonable to expect that the Savage, with the stock airbox would be stronger than with a two inch tube and a cone filter?

My daughters Toyota has a box on the intake line, nothing goes to it, nothing in it, and it's between the grill and the filter..

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #26 - 05/10/16 at 06:53:23

very interesting discussion
JOG, I wonder if the box you reference is a resonator, to muffle intake noise, some Fords had one, but the only Jeeps I know anything about are old CJs
on the 95 - up crown vics, we often had to modify the airbox as they would develop an intake howl over time that was very annoying

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/10/16 at 14:59:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/16 at 06:07:12:
So, based on what you have learned, would it be reasonable to expect that the Savage, with the stock airbox would be stronger than with a two inch tube and a cone filter?

My daughters Toyota has a box on the intake line, nothing goes to it, nothing in it, and it's between the grill and the filter..

Yes - For most operating ranges except perhaps WOT at redline.  Pods on, or very close to, the carb inlet bell is a very bad idea for slow-turning engines like the LS650 and my SRX600.

See here:  http://www.exx.se/techinfo/runners/runners.html

And here:  http://www.phaedrus.me/id153.html

My SRX600 makes very good power right up to 7,000 RPM and I assume the LS650 gives up a bit earlier.  In that case longer is better.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 05/10/16 at 15:16:25

In that case longer is better.

I'm just Sure I've heard that somewhere, but dadgum if I can remember EXACTLY who said it.

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/11/16 at 04:24:08

After looking at the HD XR1200 dyno sessions again this dyno chart expresses EXACTLY what it feels like happened to my SRX600. I got a big boost in TQ right from the bottom but from 3,500 to 5,500 it is drastic. The dyno chart shows increases of about 8% which complies nicely with 2nd harmonic strength.

So what about mains? During testing of Round 3 the Mikuni Roll-Off Method showed mains were still good. The HD XR1200 tuner said "The air flow was so much better, that I had to make three major adjustments to the baseline mapping of the Thundermax, to allow the base map to add enough fuel. This tube caused so much air to flow in the TQ band, that the engine went radically lean and was pinging badly until I got the engine retuned."

I don't know if the HD XR1200 used Mass Air Flow or or Speed-Density but if it used the former it would have adjusted accordingly. The fact the tuner had to compensate to such a great degree leads me to believe it is Speed-Density. Carburetors adjust automatically to increased air flow because signal is increased.

I didn't have time to test using the Mikuni Roll-Off Method yesterday so perhaps I am a bit too lean at the top now.

I do have a Dial-A-Jet in stock so perhaps I will install that.

5-Tube5vsAirbox.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:31:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2012 S40 with MAC Exhaust System

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.