Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
cam tensioner yet again (Read 293 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
cam tensioner yet again
05/07/16 at 07:46:38

has anyone ,I did, left the tiny spring out of cam tensioner to allow it to act as a shock?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: cam tensioner yet again
Reply #1 - 05/07/16 at 07:55:26

You may be the first... no prizes though,... it really needs to be in there... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 05/07/16 at 08:04:52

I'm not quite sure what you are saying but if you mean allowing the tensioner plunger to move in and out freely instead of only applying pressure prevented from retracting by the pawl. Don't do it! It is recipe for disaster. If the cam chain comes loose or off the sprockets the engine will self destruct.

The tensioner pawl is there for a purpose. To prevent the cam chain from pushing the plunger back into the body and thus becoming loose. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/07/16 at 08:20:37

If I understand you correctly, you left the pawl spring out.

While the stock adjuster has a tight fitting plunger and bathed in oil it can get hydro locked in position. You can't guarantee it.  So a quick twist of the throttle may press it all the way in and let the chain loose.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/07/16 at 08:25:39

I don't know. I think we've debated the idea that the warm up, cool down cycles on the short trip riders bikes just might be why the big difference between how many miles some people get before the tensioner is out too far.
While it's running, and the tension on the chain is pulling the cam around, and the slack is being controlled on the back side, it should be okay, but a little scary at RPM, because the chain is gonna push the tensioner to full collapse position, without the pawl to stop it.
Then, you shut down and the piston is headed into compression.
And backs the crankshaft up, pushing the chain up from the crank, towards the cam. When you hit the starter, it's gonna jerk the snot outta that chain.
I don't know how a tired old chain is, but a new one is a trick to get on without having the tensioner in the way.
If you are gonna play that game I would suggest getting it in gear and rolling forward until the motor stops you before you hit the starter, every time you push that button. You need to know that the slack in the chain is on the back side.

I've wondered about doing this. Wish you well.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #5 - 05/07/16 at 10:53:19

EVERYTHING you could ever possibly want to know about the Cam Chain Tensioner is covered here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

it IS a known issue, and for quite a LONG LONG time now ...

but our resident guru, Verslagen1, also one of the YaBB Moderator ModSquad members, has given us this data.

Enjoy the read ...  ;)

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/07/16 at 13:26:13

The big danger that I see...is that when you are at low rpm, or the engine is being started or coasting to a stop - is that the lobes of the cam can be pushed around by the valve springs.  If you have ever rotated the engine with the spark plug out - you can feel when the valve springs are trying to rotate the crankshaft through the camshaft.  Even worse might be what would happen on those occasions when the engine kicks backwards at shut down.....where all the available slack in the tensioner will suddenly be kicked in.

A few of us have tried (are trying) very light springs inside the tensioner - but the pawl must be operational....or bad things could happen.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 05/07/16 at 16:10:41

One danger that I see is anything that causes the engine to decelerate rapidly, for whatever reason, will load up the backside of the cam chain.
The camshaft is going to try to continue what it was doing-inertia- pulling the rear of the cam chain tight and allowing the front side to go slack or at least to be less than optimum tension.

Just my thoughts. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 05/08/16 at 21:37:52

I must explain I have extended my tensioner, by 15mm at 19000 mi. I then road tested my bike with the spring for the paw(?) removed. It was a ride for a Fssnoc club ride in rugby Tn. from my home in N.Y. 2100mi. round trip, super slab on the way secondary roads back ,in three days.That was in 2014. I checked  the tensioner last week , saw no damage on chain or guide wear,25000mi. It looks like I should get another 10000mi
out of this original chain. stock motor except air filter ,150 main jet,harley pipe.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #9 - 05/09/16 at 08:47:28

This is going to cause some consternation.

You mean you have driven many miles with the spring for the cam chain tensioner pawl removed and the plunger can be pushed in and out freely? Wow!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/09/16 at 08:59:55

batman wrote on 05/08/16 at 21:37:52:
I must explain I have extended my tensioner, by 15mm at 19000 mi. I then road tested my bike with the spring for the paw(?) removed. It was a ride for a Fssnoc club ride in rugby Tn. from my home in N.Y. 2100mi. round trip, super slab on the way secondary roads back ,in three days.That was in 2014. I checked  the tensioner last week , saw no damage on chain or guide wear,25000mi. It looks like I should get another 10000mi
out of this original chain. stock motor except air filter ,150 main jet,harley pipe.

Would have been a good place to start.

As it wears the amount of slack in the chain increases. How that plays out could be interesting. For now, it Looks like you're getting a lot of miles/mm of extension. I've thought about the tooth spacing on the pawl, seems like it clicks into a new notch too soon. I'm seriously tickled someone is doing this test. I hope it works out, extends the life of the chain and does no damage.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 05/09/16 at 10:20:17

Could it be that the cam chain "normally" runs with too much tension due to expansion of a rather tall engine?

Dunno, but it might be possible. If so Batman may have come up with something.

Batman. Why did you decide to remove the pawl spring?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/09/16 at 11:09:23

Could it be that the cam chain "normally" runs with too much tension due to expansion of a rather tall engine?

The topic of several in depth threads. The heat expansion tugs on the chain while the tensioner pawl refuses to yield. There are ifs and thens, but that's the core.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #13 - 05/09/16 at 11:20:49

jog,
I have never been comfortable with the ratchet and pawl mechanisms because of its unyielding nature as an engine expands and contracts.

The tension on the mechanism must be very high until the chain stretches a bit. Then here comes another tooth on the ratchet and it starts all over again. It may be why people who tend to run longer trips get more life out of their cam chains. Undecided

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #14 - 05/09/16 at 11:23:09

I can't wait for batman to give us an update. It sounds dangerous but the proof of the pudding etc. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:31:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam tensioner yet again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.