Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2012 S40 with MAC Exhaust System (Read 264 times)
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2012 S40 with MAC Exhaust System
05/05/16 at 10:09:46

New here to SuzukiSavge.com.  I am the proud owner of a 1986 Yamaha SRX600 and very fond of one-lungers so I convinced my wife to buy a like-new 2012 S40.  She likes things with sound so I installed a MAC Slash-Cut muffler, 55 pilot jet, and 150 main jet.  The bike runs great but needs the needle lifted a bit.  I didn't do it yet because the tank will not come off with the petcock installed.

The guys at MAC were not sure if their muffler would fit the newer models so I let them know and sent them a bunch of pictures.   I figured I'd do the same here.  The pipe fit like a glove so apparently there have been no changes since the model was re-branded.

Great fit and finish.  A little on the loud side but she likes it.  I have no airbox and SuperTrapp with open end cap on my SRX600 so I make more noise anyhow.

I found a lot of very useful information in here so I thank all of you for your contributions and support.

IMG_2574_Large.JPG
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2012 S40 with MAC Exhaust System
Reply #1 - 05/05/16 at 10:20:08

My 1986 Yamaha SRX600 with airbox delete, Dynojet kit, K&N pods, tiny battery, SuperTrapp exhaust, and 27 pounds of junk removed.

There were only about 1,000 imported here in the USA in 1986 and most were raced, crashed, and trashed.  My father bought this one new in 1987 after it sat in the corner of the dealer showroom for a year and I spent the last year restoring it.  It only has ~7,000 miles on it and the engine is wicked strong.

It is only 8.5:1 like the S40 but it has two carbs -- A flat-slide primary and a round-slide CV secondary.  The bike now weighs about 360 pounds so that coupled with the bolt-ons and light factory flywheel results in a very strong fast-revving engine.  The S40 makes a lot more off-idle and low-mid but the SRX600 makes wicked midrange power.

Mild Web (3)87 cam sitting on my desk to be joined by a Wossner flat-top milled for 10:1 when time permits.

Though it's the wrong bike I figured a few of you might enjoy it.

IMG_2479_Large.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/05/16 at 14:44:20

Three options
Drain gas, remove petcock
Raise rear of tank till petcock hits frame, slap tank, clear petcock, lose some paint, ask how I know..
Drain tank, remove petcock, buy Raptor petcock.
I suggest the latter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
striknein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/05/16 at 15:37:45

Clearing the frame from the petcock can be tricky. I've found it easiest to straighten the handlebars, remove the seat, and slide the tank forward towards the front end. Tilt the tank toward the right side of the frame and lift the back end of the tank and it should clear.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 05/05/16 at 17:14:10

I'm not quite sure how I did it but I removed my tank twice without much problem. I did scratch the paint on the frame a bit but not enough to be an issue. It was more of a wiggle it around a bit and it came loose.

Then I put a Raptor on it because I really don't like vacuum petcocks.
I firmly adhere to the KISS school of thought. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 05/05/16 at 17:35:25

I don't even mess around with removing the tank "as is". I remove the petcock and save myself a lot of trouble.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/05/16 at 19:41:22

Thank you all for your suggestions regarding tank removal.  I did try pretty hard to remove the tank by pulling and rapping with my palm but I could not get the petcock past the frame.  All i got was a lot of scratched paint on a bike with only 1,200 miles on it.

I will drain the tank and remove the petcock.  The carb is good overall but it is a bit lazy to input so I know the needle is too low.  The 55 pilot works great with about 1-1/2 turns out on the idle mixture screw.  WOT at the top is just fine with the 150 main.  I tested it using Mikuni's Roll-Off method so I know it's close.

http://www.mikuni.com/tg_main_jet_size.html

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #7 - 05/05/16 at 19:56:39

Your SRX looks like great fun to ride  Cool

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/05/16 at 20:04:34

Vortec,

Change to the Raptor petcock and you will have no future difficulties removing the tank.

Kenny G

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/06/16 at 06:32:03

HovisPresley wrote on 05/05/16 at 19:56:39:
Your SRX looks like great fun to ride  Cool

The SRX sure is a blast and it is quite a conversation piece.  I have Progressive Suspension fork springs and proper Race Sag so it handles wonderfully.  We have been working with a vintage suspension tuner here in NC for many years (Bruce Triplett) and he will be doing his magic on the damper rods very soon.

For short rides the old SRX is a wonderful machine but if the rides have a lot of stops (and they usually do) kicking gets tedious.  Thought it almost always starts first kick cold or hot, the kicking takes some of the fun out of it.  It also has very fast steering, which is great for endless turns but not so much for long straight rides.

The S40 is a wonderful machine and I really like the engine, slower steering, and seating position.  I had a Road King for a while and the S40 has a nice cruiser feel.  The rear is a little stiff and the tranny is a little noisy but overall it is a great bike.  My wife absolutely loves the bike now that it has a pipe and almost-right jetting.

Once I get the needle squared away it will be perfect.  With the stock jetting it was just miserable.  Even when it was hot it was still way too lean on the pilot.  Now it pulls like a freight train.  The S40 is incredibly torquey right off idle.  Where my SRX will easily stall due to the light flywheel the S40 chugs with two up no problem.

I have always liked the Savage and I am happy to have the S40 in my garage.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 05/06/16 at 08:08:21

VortecCPI wrote on 05/05/16 at 19:41:22:
I did try pretty hard to remove the tank by pulling and rapping with my palm but I could not get the petcock past the frame.  All i got was a lot of scratched paint on a bike with only 1,200 miles on it.
http://www.mikuni.com/tg_main_jet_size.html

A black sharpie (permanent marker) is your friend. I did the same thing on my 'new' bike and used a sharpie to color in the scratched paint areas and it blends in just fine.  If someone is close enough to see that you used a sharpie on the frame under the tank they are too close to your bike  Angry

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 05/06/16 at 08:31:45

sounds like you have a good handle on how to jet.  Wish I had that knowledge; it would be great to have mine tune "just right".
Not sure I have the ability to even tell if it's out of whack.

Diggin' the 3-rotor disc brakes on your SRX.  Had a few "crap, I'm I gonna be able to stop in time?!" moments on the S40.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #12 - 05/06/16 at 11:58:29

Kris01 wrote on 05/05/16 at 17:35:25:
I don't even mess around with removing the tank "as is". I remove the petcock and save myself a lot of trouble.

I'm a slow learner, took me a couple times fighting with the d@mned tank before I realized if I remove the petc0ck 1st, the tank comes off WAY EASIER ...  Cheesy

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 05/06/16 at 12:51:00

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't realize the first few times that you can disconnect the speedo cable from the tranny as opposed to under the tank at the speedo itself. Try reaching up under the tank (still tethered to the bike) once the tank is loose and unhooking the speedo cable from the speedo. NOT an easy thing to do   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/07/16 at 06:10:33

stewmills wrote on 05/06/16 at 08:08:21:
A black sharpie (permanent marker) is your friend. I did the same thing on my 'new' bike and used a sharpie to color in the scratched paint areas and it blends in just fine.  If someone is close enough to see that you used a sharpie on the frame under the tank they are too close to your bike  Angry

Yes sir!  I use it frequently on the 30-year-old SRX!

Tocsik wrote on 05/06/16 at 08:31:45:
sounds like you have a good handle on how to jet.  Wish I had that knowledge; it would be great to have mine tune "just right".
Not sure I have the ability to even tell if it's out of whack.

Diggin' the 3-rotor disc brakes on your SRX.  Had a few "crap, I'm I gonna be able to stop in time?!" moments on the S40.

I have been tuning for many decades and I had the fortune of a lot of great mentors.  Jetting is not as hard as you may think and I can get you close very quickly.  While there is a lot of jetting data in this forum we seem to be lacking some of the basic guidelines.

The three-disc system on the SRX is simply insane.  I use one finger up front and light contact on the rear.  I have had to stop her fast a few times and the stopping power is remarkable.  With new proper fork springs and proper Race Sag it stops fast and straight.

The SRX is basically a detuned race track bike.  With the simple bolt-on mods and light weight it is quite capable for what it is.  Most of the 1,000 imported into the USA back in 1986 were raced, crashed, and trashed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:37:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2012 S40 with MAC Exhaust System

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.