Its Been A While (Read 198 times)
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Its Been A While
Reply #15 - 04/27/16 at 07:24:55

Dave wrote on 04/27/16 at 03:18:35:

It is possible that the majority of the oil has moved down to the sump - but the oil filter will still have a substantial amount of oil in it.  Take that off, and now the pump has to pump longer to fill up the new filter....and while that is happening the crankshaft and cam bearings are not getting any oil, and the cam/rockers are also running without any oil being supplied.

For that first start up.....I believe it is best to leave the old oil and filter in place.  I wouldn't do any high rpm riding or take any long trips with it - but I think it is best to leave the old oil in place for the first attempt to get the bike running.  (Even leaving the old oil filter in place and just draining the sump is apt to allow the inlet pipe of the pump to drain and get air into the pump).

Thanks, Dave ... that clears the fog for me ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/26/18 at 10:49:50

Doug B wrote on 04/26/16 at 03:48:37:
... In early April 2014 as I pulled into my gravelled driveway the front tire washed out, and I was unable to keep it upright. The bike kept running(on it's side), and I rode back to it's parking place. I also took a 20 mile ride a few days later.  A couple of days after that when I turned the key - nothing. No lights, no sounds, no anything....
-------------------------------

So the bike ran a few days after the dump and was dead as a doornail a couple of days later.  It could be that the battery or a connection was damaged and it wouldn't take or hold a charge.  

OR it could be that you turned the key to park instead of off which lead to a dead battery and your bike is not damaged at all.

You should have had the battery tested and/or charged right away like JOG said.  It sounds like you never got that far (and everything else in this thread is about oil). 

Bikes can take a pretty good beating and keep ticking.  I would replace the battery and see what happens.  There is a good chance you'll get lights and it will run.  If not, then it's on to the next step.  

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 07/26/18 at 18:10:24

I'd check the fuses on the right side under the seat, If you don't have a blown fuse chances are there is no electrical problem ,other than a loose connector, If the battery is good /replaced and you still get nothing when you key the bike, I 'd be looking at the large main connector under the tank on the left side of the bike.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:27:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Its Been A While

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.