Send Topic Print
ShotSpotter (Read 74 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ShotSpotter
04/25/16 at 06:01:36

saw an article about this in my local paper this morning. I've never heard of this before. 62 cities have microphones / sensors attached to light poles for examples. They're designed to pick up gunfire noises.

When gunfire is detected, assuming the local  police Department subscribes to the service, the location of the fire immediately downloads into a map that the police see.  The Service also stores all the data from where the gunfire was located  which is used for statistical analysis.  I downloaded the report but it's just a summary. I didn't see an easy way to see the detail. I'd really like to see the up detail by city/ by ZIP Code.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: ShotSpotter
Reply #1 - 04/25/16 at 06:09:28

Do you really believe they are there solely to pick up the sound of gun fire?  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/25/16 at 06:45:05

pg wrote on 04/25/16 at 06:09:28:
Do you really believe they are there solely to pick up the sound of gun fire?  

Best regards,

Ha! Beat me to it...

Yeah, stand under one of those Gunfire Detectors, Shooting the Bull with a buddy. Discuss quietly how much the mayor needs to die and how much you are going to do about it.. See what happens..I won't help pay your bail.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #3 - 04/25/16 at 07:01:05

and here you thought 1984 was a work of fiction, not their instruction manual ...  Wink

Quote:

... ShotSpotter is ideally suited for "civilian and critical infrastructure" ...

Unlike counter-sniper sensors which can only measure a limited range of sounds ... when the array picks up a shot(s), it tells you where the gun was fired (right down to exact latitude/longitude and street address); how many shots were fired, and at what time; the position of the shooter (and if he's moving, how fast and in what direction) ...

ShotSpotter arrays have gone live, at one point or another, in over 70 US cities.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/25/16 at 10:18:48

OK, hold up. Everything is not a conspiracy.

I was asking if anyone had ever heard of this before, because I had not.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/25/16 at 10:32:24

My Savage is gonna' drive them nuts!... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/25/16 at 11:00:29

I didn't Say it Doesn't Do what they say. I didn't say it's a conspiracy. It's just a sales job.
We will make you safe.
How?
By Not listening to them?
Who would be silly enough to hand a government that is listening to every conversation on a phone a high class microphone and expect them to Not eavesdrop?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 04/25/16 at 11:02:46

They installed a number of these gadgets in Rochester NY several years ago. There was a bit of fanfare when they were first put up, a lot of the talk was focused on how much the city was paying for the system, but I haven't heard much about them since. My impression is that they have not proven to be much help as a crime fighting tool. There are shootings pretty much nightly in the "sportier" sections of town, and the police still generally figure out where the shots came from the old fashioned way; by the location of the guy on the sidewalk with blood running out of him.

A depressing number of these shootings aren't ever solved, mostly because the denizens of the neighborhoods where they tend to occur don't cooperate with the police. In fact the victims, the ones that survive, quite often refuse to help. I don't recall a single instance where the "ShotSpotter actually led to an arrest.

I think the primary beneficiary  of the" ShotSpotter" is the outfit that sold it to the city government.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/25/16 at 11:37:56

police still generally figure out where the shots came from the old fashioned way; by the location of the guy on the sidewalk with blood running out of him.

Tragic And funny, gotta love that.

I knew a guy who got shot, sitting in his car. I guess the shooter was trying to shoot him in the temple, either outright failed or the target moved. Bullet went into the sinuses. He drove to the ER, wouldn't tell the cops who did it. I'm pretty sure whoever it was would have rather dealt with the cops.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 04/25/16 at 13:39:56

This one is for sure.....

Whoever is in possession of the Stingray can figure out who, when, and to where you are calling, the precise location of every device within the range, and with some devices, even capture the content of your conversations.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-12-21/whistleblower-exposes-exactly-how-go...

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/25/16 at 14:35:27

However uncomfortable the truth may be, I choose to know IT ,rather than accept a comfortable lie.

The fact is,

CLEMENTE: 'No, there is a way. We certainly have ways in national security investigations to find out exactly what was said in that conversation. It's not necessarily something that the FBI is going to want to present in court, but it may help lead the investigation and/or lead to questioning of her. We certainly can find that out.'
BURNETT: 'So they can actually get that? People are saying, look, that is incredible.'
CLEMENTE: 'No, welcome to America. All of that stuff is being captured as we speak whether we know it or like it or not.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319789/ALL-phone-calls-US-recorded-a...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read Carefully the part about NOT wanting to use it in court.

Do you understand why not?

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #11 - 04/25/16 at 15:14:42

"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu

OR live like sheep ...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/25/16 at 15:20:43

The art of war...

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #13 - 04/25/16 at 15:23:00

WebsterMark wrote on 04/25/16 at 10:18:48:

ummm, YES, it IS a conspiracy ...

Legal Definition of conspiracy

:  an agreement between two or more people to commit an act prohibited by law or to commit a lawful act by means prohibited by law; also :  the crime or tort of participating in a conspiracy

Simple Definition of conspiracy
: a secret plan made by two or more people to do something that is harmful or illegal
: the act of secretly planning to do something that is harmful or illegal

:  the act of conspiring together
a :  an agreement among conspirators
b :  a group of conspirators

Synonyms of conspiracy
plot, intrigue, machination, conspiracy, cabal mean a plan secretly devised to accomplish an evil or treacherous end. plot implies careful foresight in planning a complex scheme <an assassination plot>. intrigue suggests secret underhanded maneuvering in an atmosphere of duplicity <backstairs intrigue>. machination implies a contriving of annoyances, injuries, or evils by indirect means <the machinations of a party boss>. conspiracy implies a secret agreement among several people usually involving treason or great treachery <a conspiracy to fix prices>. cabal typically applies to political intrigue involving persons of some eminence <a cabal among powerful senators>.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/25/16 at 18:35:20

uoldNslow wrote on 04/25/16 at 11:02:46:
They installed a number of these gadgets in Rochester NY several years ago. There was a bit of fanfare when they were first put up, a lot of the talk was focused on how much the city was paying for the system, but I haven't heard much about them since. My impression is that they have not proven to be much help as a crime fighting tool. There are shootings pretty much nightly in the "sportier" sections of town, and the police still generally figure out where the shots came from the old fashioned way; by the location of the guy on the sidewalk with blood running out of him.

A depressing number of these shootings aren't ever solved, mostly because the denizens of the neighborhoods where they tend to occur don't cooperate with the police. In fact the victims, the ones that survive, quite often refuse to help. I don't recall a single instance where the "ShotSpotter actually led to an arrest.

I think the primary beneficiary  of the" ShotSpotter" is the outfit that sold it to the city government.

So this is just another version of red light cameras?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 06:24:22

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › ShotSpotter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.