Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone ever live on the big island of Hawaii? (Read 143 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Anyone ever live on the big island of Hawaii?
Reply #15 - 06/11/16 at 07:19:15

When If i retire I'm going full time in a small rv and be a snowbird

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 06/11/16 at 08:17:46

We have discussed the RV thing also.....
We have a storage unit in Illinois that the boy uses (and we pay for), and we have one in florida here... that we need to sell everything out of it....
But we have been thinking, when the sister-in-law finally gets her HUD housing, we are going to sell this house and buy an RV, set it up on a lot, and start selling everything we have out of the storage unit.

The sister-in-law is Bi-Polar and we are attempting to get her set up for a decent life... then we are off to discover America....

Not going to buy one of those half-million dollar RV's, just a good used one with maybe one pull out....
No kids, no pets, just two small units to rent so we don't have to buy clothes everytime we move.

Only downfall I can see is having to empty the darn septic system.... and replacing tires.... guess we will have to save up some cash somehow for the little glitches in our plan Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 06/12/16 at 08:15:11

Being single, I'll probably just buy a full size extended van and put in it what I need
Holding tank? porta potti, water jugs to drink from
cooking? camp stove
Showers? gym membership
storage? totes
for you and the missus, though, I'd consider a class C (cutaway) unless you already have a truck capable of pulling a decent sized travel trailer
Note that most modern TTs have a rubber roof that is utterly crap (replace with metal)
two people can do a DIY in a van RV, but it would be really tight
Maybe a bread truck or step van could be a DIY RV for 2
check this site out
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #18 - 06/12/16 at 08:38:27

Ditto to what Springman said about costs. I've been to the big island a number of times. If you take the time to work all the arrangements out yourself you will make good wages in doing so because you will save lots of cash. Be creative about everything.
Last time the wife & I went to Puerto Rico for 9 days (2 yrs. ago) we spent $2800.00 total for lodging, flight, food, car rental & all. We had a ball. But I acted as our travel agent. It would have easily cost twice that through a commercial agent.
Hawaii is a little more expensive though. Flights & lodging especially. You might be able to get it below your 5k figure a little; but not a lot. Hawaii is more expensive period; than PR & PR was much more receptive to tourists than the Big Island. At least that's what I found.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/12/16 at 14:37:34

Some online searches show that individuals who have room do rent. You might dodge some costs, but the hotels have access to deals you might not find. The snorkeling and hawaiian luau, good fun stuff,, My kid went years ago, you might find the things you want by walking into a lobby and grab some fliers or contact the Travel bureau and have a packet sent. I got one from Arkansas before a vacation, it was worth asking for.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 06/13/16 at 11:38:59

I think I'd be bored living on any island ,same roads to ride time after time . The lower 48 states and Alaska still offer miles of beauty and places I haven't seen.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:19:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone ever live on the big island of Hawaii?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.