Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Permanently mounted dashcam (Read 51 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Permanently mounted dashcam
06/10/16 at 13:16:41

I have had this random thought about finding a cheapo dashcam that is designed to record in a loop (let's say, 2 or 3 hours worth?) that you can leave in place and just remove the memory card if there is notable footage to download. I have idiots pull out and do stupid stuff and just feel like one day some of this footage may be something I could need in an unfortunate situation.

My thought would be to have this camera mounted and wired in somehow where it runs (or stays charged) off of the bike's teeny tiny power plant.

Given that it would be such a small camera that pulls little current, would it work for me to use one of these adapters to connect it to my battery charger connector?  I know I don't have an exact camera specified, but is this probable on a stock electrical system minus my rear brake light being the superbright LED blinky bulb?

I welcome any suggestions on cameras if anyone has one that they use and like.

nocngc009.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Permanently mounted dashcam
Reply #1 - 06/10/16 at 13:47:52

I have a couple cameras and they both recharge and are powered off a USB port.  You can buy an automotive type power port that plugs into your SAE adapter or has terminals to connect straight into your battery.  Then the power cord and plug that comes with the camera unit can plug into that and it does work.  I power my Garmin that way. Also you can buy a USB connector that will connect to your battery or your existing SAE connector.  I don't know how well it would survive a rain shower.

I made a little camera holder that slips into the chest pocket of either of my two riding jackets and that works well for a camera mount.  I can easily turn it on and off and when I get home I take it out and recharge if needed.  I catch some surprising things on that camera.  Things I sometimes didn't notice while riding.  I even caught myself going through a red light that I thought was still yellow at the time.  I mostly ride country roads and often record deer and other animals in the road.  

My kids ask me why I do it and I told them it is so they'll know what happened to me if someone ever finds me dead out on the pavement someday.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 06/10/16 at 14:21:16

Cool. that's kinda what I was thinking.  I have the existing SAE connector in my battery that is easily accessible and my hope would be to connect the USB charging cable to it semi-permanently.  I don't ride in the rain unless it's getting randomly caught in a shower once a year, so waterproofing isn't a critical issue for me though I'd still probably tuck it away under the edge of the seat for good measure. I'm primarily a fair weather rider  Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 06/10/16 at 19:00:02

You'll need a vibration resistant mount.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 06/10/16 at 19:03:57

^^^ What Kris said

I have yet to find a camera that will mount on our savage without vibrating.
So a spring cushioned mount will be needed.
Its a good idea though... I have an elcheapo Emerson Action Camera I got from biglots for about 24 bucks...
But they sell a cheap Chinese one on ebay now that mimics a gopro, and they are REAL cheap and have anti-shake on a few of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12MP-HD-1080P-Sports-Action-Waterproof-Camera-Mini-DV...

There are tons more... china, Malaysia ect.... the SJCAM is supposed to be almost compatable in quality as the lower grade gopro cams.
The SJ4000's are knockoffs of SJCAM4000's ....
But for 20 bucks... I don't see how you could go wrong....

If you are worried about getting ebay ripped off... you could hit up Amazon for some

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RG9K2D8/ref=s9_simh_gw_g421_i3_r?ie=UTF8...

https://www.amazon.com/SJCAM-SJ5000-Waterproof-Camcorder-Motorcycle/dp/B00PQ6...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 06/13/16 at 14:04:24

Hey...I found this perusing the interwebs:
https://www.amazon.com/Sykik-C6-Motorcycle-monitor-Picture/dp/B01FKZ3ZXS/ref=...

It is loop and can be programmed/wired to turn on on and off with the bike, and has front and back.  I cannot find any reviews on it, but this may be what I am looking for.  I don't like that it required the screen, but I can probably find a place to hide it out of the way.

517NodcRZ4L.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:18:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Permanently mounted dashcam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.