Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sat through winter, getting back on the road (Read 37 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Sat through winter, getting back on the road
04/16/16 at 10:14:12

Hi everyone. I am in the process of making the savage 'road worthy' again lol. anyways I ordered a battery and a riser bushing/cap that was damaged in my lowspeed dump last year when i was starting out in result of avoiding an old lady who pulled out infront of me, anyways what else would you folks suggest that I check before getting out riding as a commuter again? I will be checking oil and wheels bearings because the bike was outside. Ah Apartment life.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Sat through winter, getting back on the road
Reply #1 - 04/16/16 at 10:29:42

I'd probably want to drop the bowl off the carb and get any crud from evaporated gas before you run it and try to shove it through the jets. And, give them a blast from the carb cleaner can, maybe even pull them out and look/ clean.

Probably wouldn't sweat the wheel bearings, but you know exactly what weather it was subjected to. I'd certainly drain the tank and shine a light. See anything that troubles you, pull it, add some gas, slosh it, drop the petcock, drain and inspect the results. Old oil, even if it only has a few hundred miles on it, can become acidic from the stuff the blowby put in it.
And don't pull the plug without a reason or before cleaning out down where it sits.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #2 - 04/16/16 at 11:50:09

note taken, however it was periodically started and moved around throughout the winter when the snow melted. and ran through what little gas i left in it before with new gas in it. the wheel bearings concern me just because the rear wheel has a 'sticky' area in its rotation when you are just casually rolling it around by hand

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 04/16/16 at 13:59:17

Mmmkkay, then fire it up, ride, stay close to home, listen  to it, see if the bearing loosens up.
Not much you can do with the bearing. Unless you fabricate a way to put a hypodermic needle on a grease gun. I've seen it done. Not sure if both sides are sealed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/16/16 at 14:18:30

Bearings are sealed on the outside. And the axle spacer makes it hard to get from the inside.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/16/16 at 15:01:43

Hafta knock them out, hold them, spin, feel. If one actually spins freely, it's not okay. A good bearing doesn't just spin. It's Smooooth, no crunching, but it doesn't just keep spinning after you give it a flick. Comes to a halt pretty quick..
And, if you decide to replace any, take one to the industrial bearing supply, not the dealership or auto parts store.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:32:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sat through winter, getting back on the road

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.