Send Topic Print
Carb Choke (Read 100 times)
Anegative
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb Choke
04/14/16 at 19:08:50

so my bike runs fine when its a nice day. but in the morning when its  cooler. it starts but it kinda lags with the choke on. any suggestions?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Carb Choke
Reply #1 - 04/14/16 at 19:10:23

How much choke are you using?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/14/16 at 19:54:17

It could just be your attitude. Try to
B positive.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #3 - 04/14/16 at 20:29:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/14/16 at 19:54:17:
It could just be your attitude. Try to B positive.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

justin ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/15/16 at 04:53:39

Chokes are one of the reasons folks like fuel injection.  They are a primitive way to make the bike start when it 20 degrees outside.  The problem is that when the bike is somewhere between cold and warm.....they aren't sophisticated enough to make any adjustments.  When the bike is somewhere between cold and warm....the choke provides too much fuel and the engine runs rich.  And when the choke is turned off and the bike is not yet fully warmed up...the engine is running just a bit lean and the idle speed will be too slow, the engine will surge/hesitate a little bit, and most likely backfire a bit more.  This lean situation will be worse if your bike has never been jetted and is a bit on the lean side (factory settings).

Some uneven running it so to be expected for the first few minutes of running on a cold day - but if it continues you may need a carb cleaning and/or rejetting.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 04/15/16 at 05:13:33

I think there's about 3-4 settings (clicks) for our choke, and it isn't a true choke by the way, it just lets in more gas I think. Pulling it out 1 click should be all you need for mild weather. It may even be all you need down to fairly cold weather.  If you feel like you need more too comfortably start it, I'd say use as much as you need to start it and then just use 1 click out till it gets warm. That last click is the killer, though. If you're not careful, the engine will die when you push it back in if it's not completely warm.

That first click of the knob, the lightest enrichment setting, is the most important. You'll may even use the first click when the weather is room temperature. You should be able to run the bike just fine one click out when warm. Heck, unless you have some pretty rich jetting, running all the time with a little choke may make it run even stronger!

Anyone agree with me? How many people here regularly forget to push in their choke and run all day with it out a click and it runs awesome? Well, then again, it might not idle right once it's warm, but it'll drive just fine.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/15/16 at 09:46:20

After swapping the cam,jetting, changing the exhaust, I had to adjust the idle up every First Start of the day. If yours is running low RPM, adjust it. It's easy to reach down and adjust the idle while riding. As it warms up, idle climbs, adjust a little...
Just keep it up to at least 1,000 and don't let it idle sitting on the sidestand. These are pretty crude engines, and the EPA forced Suzuki to use jetting that didn't exactly enhance performance. You might wanna check the tech section about the idle air adjustment. There's also a TEV, and you'll need to consult someone who understands that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 04/15/16 at 14:01:13

On cooler days here (below 40) I usually pull out the enrichment knob (choke) about half way, there you can feel a little click, just pull it out very slowly, you will feel it.
After about 4 minutes on down the road, I will push it in while i'm riding.

Hope this helps. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 04/15/16 at 18:21:54

I've never had to use more than 1 click even on the coldest days. I tried "full choke" and it smokes and bogs down.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/16/16 at 10:18:36

Are you running a little rich?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 04/16/16 at 11:15:15

Don't think so. The wallet feels a lttle light today.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 05:57:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Choke

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.