Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Caeb problems. Please help! (Read 327 times)
mkirch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Caeb problems. Please help!
04/12/16 at 14:54:13

I recently bought an 06 s40. Happy with it so far but at first it was backfiring and wouldn't stay running without choke half way out. I ordered a carb kit and changed out jets and cleaned it all up. Problem is the jets I got and took out were different. U did some look I g and matched them as closely as I could. Now it runs a little better but still backfires and stalls when I go full throttle. Seems to only do this a mile or two down the road. Runs great in garage.

The muffler has its baffles cut out so I can assume that has something to do with it. I should get my stock replacement muffler Thursday and I want to re jet to stick. Can anyone tell me exactly what jets I need? I have two sets right now. As far As I know the Caeb is stock. Bike has 1900 miles on it and I'd like it to run like it!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Caeb problems. Please help!
Reply #1 - 04/12/16 at 16:02:00

"Seems to only do this a mile or two down the road. Runs great in garage. "

Might be a vacuum petcock problem or a leak in the vacuum line to the petcock. When under the load of driving, low carb vacuum might not be strong enough to hold an old, stiff petcock diaphram open. The result is not enough fuel supply as fuel is used faster than the carb float chamber can refill. Check the vacuum line from carb to petcock for leaks, then go for a ride with the petcock set to PRIME and see if there is any improvement.

IP Logged
mkirch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/12/16 at 16:06:02

Ok I'll have to try that when I get it back together. Do you know anything about the jetting? I have 4 jets and every diagram I look at doesn't seem to match what I have. Unless I'm just not looking at it right

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/12/16 at 16:43:32

What did you pay for the muffler?
Letting it idle on the sidestand is not good for the cam.
A low idle doesn't make enough oil pressure to keep the top end alive.
A Dyna muffler is cheap, sexy looking and sounding and is easy to tune the carb to.
Leaks in the exhaust make backfires.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mkirch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/12/16 at 16:47:48

I got some muffler off eBay for 200. Probably paid too much but I wanna get it together. I just took the exhaust apart and it all seemed great. I'm just gonna put it all to stock so it runs good. I'm going to try the petcock trick and call the dealer tomorrow for jetting

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/12/16 at 16:52:28

You would be ahead to calm down.  Ask here before you talk to the dealer. Jets are available here, sometimes Dyna mufflers, too. You spent at least $150.00 too much, and, didn't get the best muffler.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 04/12/16 at 17:34:46

Justin has a point. Think through this. You can get a Dyna muffler for less than 50 bucks (more around $20-$35.) The jets are a few dollars a piece+ shipping. If you can find the right place like I did, they're liable to give you some little #4 washers for the white spacer mod. Get 5 of them, though you'll usually use 2-3 of them. You can get a carb kit for around $16.

I recommend a 147.5 main jet and 4 #4 washers for purely stock setup with stock muffler. I personally haven't tested that setup, though. I am running even richer with a 150 main with 3 washers, and it runs great, and the noise level is reasonable, but gas mileage isn't what it used to be.  Undecided I plan on installing the Dyna muffler, though. The fewer washers, the richer, and 5 of them is close in thickness to the white spacer (possibly a little thicker Undecided). It is known that the stock setup tends to be too lean, to the point of being a little dysfunctional for some. Don't be afraid to go 1 click richer. In fact, the Savages from the 80's ran with a 152.5 main jet, which is 3 sizes larger. That is with pretty much the same setup. The experts here are free to correct me if I'm a little off here.

Don't fool with dealerships. It is well known that the Savage is a very simple bike and is relatively easy for a newbie to work on (like me Wink)The Savage carb isn't that hard to tune. I've had mine apart (at least partly, if not mostly) a time or two. You may not know what every little passage does, but it's not brain surgery. There is only one carb, and my bike has been very reliable and easy to start, even in the winter. These bikes are not tempermental in my opinion. Dealerships, known as "stealerships" by many here, will suck you dry. You can spend more money at a shop than the bike is worth. If you need a part now and can get it for a competitive price at a dealership, then fine, do it. Otherwise, you need to learn to fix your own bike. Of course, if you like spending money more than working hard to save it, then feel free to burn it. Wink

If you want to know something complicated, try a Honda Shadow from the 80's. Roll Eyes Twin carbs, electric fuel pump... And I have the duty of fixing my Dad's carbs. Roll Eyes And that thing is tempermental! Run the battery dead just trying to crank it. Roll Eyes

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
mkirch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/12/16 at 18:12:27

I didn't know that about the muffler. I don't know much about this bike or bikes in general. This is my first bike. When I tire my carb apart there were no washers or anything. I replaced what I had new and it fired right up. I may have a knock off kit then and not genuine parts which would explain the wrong size jets.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 04/12/16 at 18:16:07

The Savage is my first bike too. Wink

IP Logged
mkirch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/12/16 at 18:18:03

Where can I go about getting a new carb kit?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 04/12/16 at 18:35:17

The important thing is that you have jets with the right size opening, regardless of the number printed on it.

Under the main jet is a brass washer. You want to make sure that that washer is still there. Don't want to lose it.

Furthermore, you might be able to replace the main while the carb is on the bike if you're careful and know what you're doing.

First, get a screwdriver (I think they are not technically phillips, but that other one like a Phillips. I use whatever I can get hold of. Reminds me of the name of that movie with Clint Eastwood and the orangutan Any Which Way You Can.   Grin Anyway, get those screws out of the float bowl. The point is to be careful as you may have difficulty getting in there to get a grip on the screws. Don't strip 'em.

Don't tear the gasket, or you'll have to buy another one of those as well. Put a thin layer of petroleum jelly on the gasket so it will be easy to remove for servicing. Maneuver the bowl carefully away without damaging the float. It may take a little moving around to get it off and on again.

I don't think you'll have to remove the float for this. Take a good flathead screwdriver of an appropriate size and get it in there securely to remove the jet. It's brass, which is soft, so you don't want to risk stripping it. Again, make sure you get the brass washer and make sure you put it back on the new jet.

Here's the tricky part. I tried and failed at this frustratingly. It took awhile to figure out what happened. The first challenge you will have is threading up the new jet without dropping it into oblivion several times Not cool! Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, be very delicate when threading in the new jet, for the main jet actually threads directly into the needle jet ([b]not the carb itself) This needle jet is moveable and slotted. There is a little nub or pin over which it's slot aligns. If you are not very delicate here, you will push the needle jet past past where it can catch the threads of the main jet, and then you will inadvertently turn the needle jet past its proper alignment. [/b] This means you'll likely end up removing the carb to get everything back together.

If you don't know what's going on, you may end up trying painfully for hours to thread that thing up in there, but it'll never take. Sad

Understand? Clear as mud? Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/12/16 at 18:39:45

Better than I would have done.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 04/12/16 at 18:39:49

K&L makes a good carb kit which is fairly well received. It is the one I have used. It is #18-5064, and it is readily available on EBay and Amazon for around 16 bucks or so. I have not needed to use all of it. I reused my old float valve; even though it is boogered up, it still works.  Wink

You may not necessarily need a carb kit. You need what you need. Huh Jets are not even included in this carb kit.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #13 - 04/12/16 at 18:40:22

Thanks, Justin. Smiley

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/12/16 at 19:02:06

Go to the section in this forum labeled Marketplace.  In it you'll find Jet sets sold by Lancer who is a member here.  He puts together and sells the sets and other items as well.  Many of us have bought his jet sets including me.  He also provides tips on which jets to use.  My forum signature notes my current jetting but I do use a Harley Dyna muffler which is slightly more free flowing than the stock muffler.  It sounds as if you probably have an adequate collection of jets already, maybe it is just a matter of selecting the right sizes.

Also, go the tech section of the forum, there is an index of the contents.  You'll find a thread concerning the "white spacer mod" for the carb which is worth doing if you have it apart.  Good luck.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:42:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Caeb problems. Please help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.