Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Caeb problems. Please help! (Read 327 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Caeb problems. Please help!
Reply #30 - 04/12/16 at 20:26:47

Yeah...acceleration,,
Holding a brake, tire to the wall, phhhht,,, where is that reasonable??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #31 - 04/12/16 at 20:32:43

verslagen1 wrote on 04/12/16 at 19:38:44:
wrong one, you should be using the large round jets.

Well, I'm confused. I looked it up. It is the large round jets. Undecided Oops... I guess my brain is scrambled.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #32 - 04/12/16 at 20:39:35

This thread suggests that the small ones will work too. The large ones are recommended, though.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1153878579

One fellow says that the large jet "fits the washer better" http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1162923594

I might add that the large ones might allow a better grip with a bigger screwdriver.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #33 - 04/12/16 at 21:25:51

I am replying to the original post. A bike that won't run right when you open it up usually just neede a carb cleaning. The main jet is usually clogged and a good sonic cleaning works wonders. Running in all directions at once and paying your way out of a problem doesn't work as well as slow, deliberate action. Ask folks on here what to do before you do it. Don't tell them what you did after the fact. This is in answer to the FIRST poster.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mkirch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 04/14/16 at 17:21:33

Ok here's an update. Main jet at 130 compared to 145
Pilot at 52.5
Needle is in middle groove out of three
Main pilot air jet at 230
Secondary air her at 70
New mac performance muffler with baffles
Seems to be still overloading no matter where adjustment screw is. Took it for a ride and it won't rev up and can't break 45 mph. Accelerator pump and top rubber doo hicki is in good shape and petcock looks good. Ran on prime with no difference. Starting to irritate me so much I'm bout to take it to shop. What's wrong with this thing?  Fouling plug out bad

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #35 - 04/15/16 at 04:47:56

Those numbers don't sound right. I don't think the stock carb has an accelerator pump either. Are you talking about the silide? The-big-rubber-diaphragm-topped-cylinder-needle-thingy?

Not sure about the air jets, but we don't normally use 130 main jets for the Savage. You sure you didn't misread it? Did your bike come out of California? What is your location in the world??? The pilot jet is right for regular US models though. Undecided

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #36 - 04/15/16 at 05:44:34

[quote author=7F74797D6C72796B7E2E281C0 link=1460498053/15#17 date=1460514059][quote author=561518171714210 link=1460498053/15#15 date=1460513506]. I've removed the jets a few times now to clean them out without removing the carb.  

How is this done? I must know Smiley Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 04/15/16 at 08:39:18

Starting to irritate me so much I'm bout to take it to shop. What's wrong with this thing?  Fouling plug out bad

Starting to irritate me so much I'm bout to take it to the shop.

You're not liable to be less irritated. You have eight posts.
Slow down. If you haul it to the mechanic you won't learn.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #38 - 04/15/16 at 21:25:09

Yep...

You might get it fixed.... And you also might have a stroke from the mechanic's bill... Angry and you then might use what's left of your brain to set fire to your bike... Angry

...then, finally, topping it off with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to finish the job. Angry

Don't jump off the deep end. Everything is going to be fine.  Wink Calm down. Take it easy. This stuff can be tough, but, from what I gather, a Savage is ridiculously easy to repair compared to other bikes. The stock carb, in my experience, works great. Do the fuel flow test. open the float bowl and see how fast the gas drains out. Simple as that. Once you know that, you'll then be able to reduce the number of possible causes. If you feel you need a carb kit, which, unless I'm mistaken consists merely of a couple o-rings, a float valve, and a float bowl gasket, you can get K&L kit 18-5064 off EBay for around 16 bucks.[b] Now, that's no guarantee it'll fix anything. Unless the problem has to do with those 2 little o-rings (possible, don't know, but I doubt it) or the float bowl gasket is leaking (inconvenience, not applicable), the only thing that is likely to cause you a problem is the float valve. It can stick open or shut or fail to seal properly. This means you will have either flooding or starvation, and it can be intermittent. If it's not the float valve, buying a kit won't do a darn thing. On the other hand.... it might do something. Undecided You just won't know until you try it, and it either helps or it doesn't. The dealership will do the same, and they'll charge you for labor.

Listen to Justin. Take it easy. Let it go. You can't ride your bike right now. Even if you took it to the shop, chances are, if they have to install any parts, there's a high risk they'll have to be ordered, which will take time. [b]If you want to take the easy way out and hire it done, that's fine as long as you're going to be happy with the consequences. Wink You won't learn, and you'll blow money. Running to the dealer won't help you. You'll get your best support here, both technically and emotionally. Dealerships seem to lack both somehow. Huh
Take this opportunity to learn how to fix your bike and potentially save a lot of money. One shop (not dealer) I talked to charges $75 per hour for labor. If you're not careful, you can dump as much as the bike's worth in repair costs. Worse than that, you'll be dependent upon the costly assistance of the mechanic. The more you work on your bike, the better prepared you will be to work on it. Wink You'll have the satisfaction that comes with accomplishment and learning, and you'll save money. Burning money on the bike is liable to drain your pockets and your morale.

Working on your bike as a newbie can be a tough job, full of frustration. Are you ready? Cool

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #39 - 04/15/16 at 22:21:38

mkirch wrote on 04/14/16 at 17:21:33:
Ok here's an update. Main jet at 130 compared to 145
Pilot at 52.5
Needle is in middle groove out of three
Main pilot air jet at 230
Secondary air her at 70
New mac performance muffler with baffles
Seems to be still overloading no matter where adjustment screw is. Took it for a ride and it won't rev up and can't break 45 mph. Accelerator pump and top rubber doo hicki is in good shape and petcock looks good. Ran on prime with no difference. Starting to irritate me so much I'm bout to take it to shop. What's wrong with this thing?  Fouling plug out bad

Alright, something's not right. That new a bike shouldn't have an adjustable slide needle. It also shouldn't have a 130 main jet. Are you sure it's a Mikuni BS40 (stock carb)? Once you've done the fuel flow measurement, take the carb off, take it apart, and take detailed pictures of every part, including the jets. I wonder if the slide or something has been changed.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #40 - 04/15/16 at 22:39:46

mkirch wrote on 04/12/16 at 14:54:13:
I recently bought an 06 s40. Happy with it so far but at first it was backfiring and wouldn't stay running without choke half way out. I ordered a carb kit and changed out jets and cleaned it all up. Problem is the jets I got and took out were different. U did some look I g and matched them as closely as I could. Now it runs a little better but still backfires and stalls when I go full throttle. Seems to only do this a mile or two down the road. Runs great in garage.

The muffler has its baffles cut out so I can assume that has something to do with it. I should get my stock replacement muffler Thursday and I want to re jet to stick. Can anyone tell me exactly what jets I need? I have two sets right now. As far As I know the Caeb is stock. Bike has 1900 miles on it and I'd like it to run like it!

So, your initial post, when you suggest that the problem only occurs when you grab a handful of throttle, along with my understanding that your main jet is small combined with a performance exhaust, makes me suspect your main jet is simply too small. However, you are also saying that you need to use the choke on top of that and that you can't get past 45 mph. That seems way too slow for a main jet issue. Huh

There is something you need to know. That slide (big cylinder thingy) needs to stay very clean. If there is the slightest substance on it to make it sticky, the bike will act crazy. Also, a vacuum leak will cause problems.

If nothing else, take the carburetor apart and clean it thoroughly. And I mean take it off... take it all off.  Cheesy

But first, test your fuel flow.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #41 - 04/15/16 at 22:54:33

As far as jets for a straight pipe... Genuine Mikuni 155 is a good one.  Go no smaller than 150. 152.5 is in between. You can go as high as 160 supposedly, but 155 is usually as high as people here go. If you want to split the middle, do 152.5 If you want some choice, buy one of each size: 150, 152.5, and 155. Use whatever combination you want somewhere in that area. You don't want stock jetting (145) for a debaffled muffler or any reasonably well-performing muffler. You might want to try a 55 pilot jet as well. No guarantees it will help, but with your muffler, it might give you an improvement. You see, if the pilot is too small, your idle circuit will be too lean no matter how much you turn the screw. If it's too big, however, you'll have a hard time leaning it down without bottoming out the screw.

Now, that needle on the slide should be set to whatever setting that lifts the needle the most. Again, that's kinda funky, and I don't know whether the air jets and whatnot are what they're supposed to be, and I cannot say it will necessarily fix all the problems you've been having, but it should set you up to get it in the proper order. It may help; it may even fix it. It's very chancey, even doubful, though. Right now, who knows what's in there? Shocked Confusing. Huh

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #42 - 04/15/16 at 23:08:26

Here is what the stock needle is supposed to look like. Pathetic, ain't it? There is a white spacer above the e-clip. Adjusting that spacer is the "white spacer mod" everyone talks about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-SUZUKI-BOULEVARD-LS650-650-CARBURETOR-SLIDE-NEED...

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #43 - 04/15/16 at 23:15:19

Hmmm... If it's fouling the plug, isn't that a sound you're getting too much gas or too much oil? Can you lean foul a spark plug?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #44 - 04/16/16 at 08:03:19

Rather than try to tune to the pipe, why not put one on that's easy to tune To? Get better performance, mpg, not piss off the dead, AND, nearly everyone here knows just what jets work. Tuning to an open pipe is guesswork.

The notches in the needle made me say Huhh? too..
And nobody decides a carb needs a kit faster than someone who hasn't a clue.
Even fingerprints on the slide can cause it to stick. Clean and dry, like you're handling a halogen bulb.
I doubt a shop will even try to jet it with that muffler, if it can be called a muffler.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:33:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Caeb problems. Please help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.