Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Caeb problems. Please help! (Read 327 times)
mkirch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Caeb problems. Please help!
Reply #15 - 04/12/16 at 19:11:46

I'm becoming more familiar with this bike as I've torn the tank off more times than I can count. I've removed the jets a few times now to clean them out without removing the carb.  Cool  thanks for the advice. I'll check into the jet kits

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #16 - 04/12/16 at 19:18:31

To understand how the jets interact (how the carb basically works)...

The upper portion of the carb consists of cylindrical slide with a spring-loaded needle at the bottom which is controlled by a vacuum-actuated diaphragm. I am a little fuzzy right now as to how it exactly works, but, basically, the cylinder blocks the carb body and acts as a second throttle plate (or perhaps even a venturi  Undecided). Anyway, when the throttle is opened, the slide lifts with its needle, the slide allowing in more air, and the needle allowing in more gas.

Remember I said that the main jet is threaded up into the needle jet? The fuel comes up through the main jet, then has to deal with the needle jet, The needle rests down into the needle jet. The needle acts as a fuel restrictor. When the needle is lifted to its maximum, the main jet is the main fuel bottleneck.

The main is supposed to make the most difference at full throttle.

The needle jet (needle position is what we're concerned about here) makes difference off idle and part throttle. Richening that up a bit (compared to stock) will help response.

The idle jet (the only quickly adjustable one) makes the most difference-- DUH!-- at idle. Cheesy Adjust this one as follows: With idle speed reasonable, turn counterclockwise to richen, clockwise to lean, if I am not mistaken. Aim for the midpoint position where the idle speed is the greatest for the same idle speed (throttle plate position). Very easily understood hands on. Set the idle speed adjustment (you know, that little spring-loaded fingerscrew on the throttle cable cam thingy. Cheesy) Then, turn the idle screw one way till it speeds up and runs best, but keep going until you've gone a little too far. Go until it slows down slightly. Stop, then go the other way until it reaches its sweet spot, then passes it and slows down slightly Then go back halfway. This should be the sweet spot for those conditions. Remember that this should be done after driving the bike and getting it nice and warm. In summary, the idle mixture should give the highest idle speed for the least amount of throttle (or the highest vacuum, as some would say).

Now, you're brain is fried, and you're still wondering about the spacer mod? It works like this. There is a white plastic spacer on that spring-loaded slide needle which pushes it down into the needle jet. Shaving down this spacer (plastic washer) or replacing it with a thinner equivalent of #4 washers will allow the needle to lift up a bit and allow more fuel in at part throttle. This is accessible from the top of the carb. Lift the diaphragm slide out. Note that the screws on the cover could be difficult to remove. Do not strip them! Way down there in the slide are two little screws which hold a plate. Remove these, and you'll find the spring and needle with it's white spacer. Here's where you can replace the white spacer with washers or grind down the spacer. A magnetic screwdriver will be helpful here to get the screws back into place. The plate, spring, spacer and everything goes on a certain way. I think there's a little metal washer in there as well below the stationary e-clip that the spacer rests on or something like that. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get it apart. Wink

Got it? Wink

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #17 - 04/12/16 at 19:20:59

mkirch wrote on 04/12/16 at 19:11:46:
I'm becoming more familiar with this bike as I've torn the tank off more times than I can count. I've removed the jets a few times now to clean them out without removing the carb.  Cool  thanks for the advice. I'll check into the jet kits

Oh, okay. Wink

I don't think you usually buy them as kits. If someone has prepared them into kits, they tend to be expensive. Find someone on EBay that sells Mikuni jets for cheap, buy a bunch, and combine shipping.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #18 - 04/12/16 at 19:24:38

You may be able to do the spacer mod without removing the carb as well if I'm not mistaken. You'll need to remove the tank, though, I believe.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 04/12/16 at 19:27:25

Not sure the name.
Look in the
For sale
Section.
Versy, OF, someone, Lancer sells jets.
Your exhaust and elevation are all you need to know.
One set of jets will do.

IF you're a carb guru.
And that's not me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #20 - 04/12/16 at 19:28:46

By the way, it may be helpful to count the turns on your idle mixture needle. 1.5 turns out from bottom is ideal, and 3 turns out is the upper limit for that jet. Richer than that will need a bigger jet.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #21 - 04/12/16 at 19:34:33

Niche Cycle Supply on EBay is where I got my main jets. It took a little while for them to arrive, but that may have been a fluke with the trucking. Anyway, they seemed to be a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mikuni-SBN-Small-Round-Size-150-Main-Jet-N102...

Look up mikuni 150 small round on Ebay and see what you get. Remember to get them all from one person if you can to combine shipping, but only do it if that gives the best total price, of course.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 04/12/16 at 19:38:44

wrong one, you should be using the large round jets.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 04/12/16 at 19:40:27

When you screw it in, count turns.
When it stops, be Gentle.
Don't try to see how tight you can get it.
The tip is very pointed and brass.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mkirch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/12/16 at 19:46:50

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know the outcome. Hopefully it will end in a big burn out!  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 04/12/16 at 19:49:49

Wrong bike.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #26 - 04/12/16 at 19:53:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/12/16 at 19:40:27:
When you screw it in, count turns.
When it stops, be Gentle.
Don't try to see how tight you can get it.
The tip is very pointed and brass.

Good point! When you bottom the idle screw, be very gentle. Don't torque it. Just go far enough to see about where it bottoms. Then count the turns back.

And, regarding carb kits, I gather these things aren't like those old Briggs & Stratton flatheads with the Pulsa-Jet carbs that needed rebuilding every 5 minutes. Grin Better keep a hundred fresh fuel pump diaphragms for those old things, right?! Grin

Probably the most vulnerable parts are the bowl gasket and the float valve, I would guess. On the other hand, I boogered my float valve, and it still works! Grin

The general attitude about carbs around here is to clean it up, replace what's broke and don't worry about it. Am I right? Wink

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #27 - 04/12/16 at 19:56:23

In my experience, the clutch will slip before the tire does.  Grin

Not saying you can't do a burnout, though, especially if you hold the front brake. I think I've slipped the tire on concrete a bit and on spun some on dirt. I've had the bike kick sideways when goosing it on damp pavement, only after the clutch slips a while.  Roll Eyes Honestly, though, I don't have much experience with slipping my tires. It's not something that the Savage does so easily. I've never even popped a wheelie that I know of on a motorcycle, least of all on my Savage. Burnouts on motorcycles can be rather hazardous, as they can quickly cause highsides and lowsides I would say.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 04/12/16 at 20:00:21

Well, when I decided to see what would happen, it wheelied.
Didn't even chirp the tire.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #29 - 04/12/16 at 20:08:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQfL_VUT1Lo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2sqHEOKOiA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4pnqtSfqcM

However, there's a huge difference between what these guys are doing and actually burning rubber off the line from acceleration. When you actually sit your weight on the bike and don't hold the front brake, the weight shifts to the rear and causes the rear tire to grip HARD. Takes quite a bit for it to break loose. Ain't that right, Justin?

That doesn't even include balancing issues. You have to go from holding the bike with your feet to suddenly having your feet on the pegs applying sudden maximum acceleration and torque to the rear tire. A recipe for finding your face on the pavement.

Tricky stuff that takes skill. Ain't that right?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:36:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Caeb problems. Please help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.