Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Wont Start.....Weird???? HELP (Read 329 times)
Blake Farrar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wont Start.....Weird???? HELP
04/10/16 at 16:21:04

So recently i got my ls650 savage. It ran great. Noticed the cam tensioner was loose. fixed it and put it all back together with some new oil today. It hasnt been a week since i last rode it. Went to crank it and it just spins over. I checked my plug, its getting fire. Checked my fuel tank and it pouring gas like it should. I have no idea whats going on. It just wont start. Now i havent charged battery but the plug was getting spark. Should I put it on a trickle charge over night and try again tomorrow or what should i do? Im sick of not riding my bike and its only been a week!!! Thanks in advance, Blake.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Wont Start.....Weird???? HELP
Reply #1 - 04/10/16 at 16:36:46

If you pulled the plug and checked spark, you Really didn't prove it is sparking when it's under the load of compression.
A multimeter will be a tool you need.
For now, yes, charge it. It is common for them to spin over but not fire up. Just a little low on voltage and the starter loads the battery down enough to keep the electronic ignition system to fire the plug. When you Pull the plug Out, then it's spinning free.
A second plug is the test.
Pull the wire off , leaving the plug in, hook it up to the second plug, and see if you can get a spark While making compression.

Sadly, even That test can lie. Because it fires on the exhaust stroke..

Knowing the voltage under load and the ignition system limits is a good plan.

No sin in hooking up jumper cables. Knowing How matters.
For now, charge it up.

Talk about
No Help..

Sorry, dude.. I tried.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blake Farrar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/10/16 at 16:43:13

Hey man that works for me!!!! Ill charge it up and go from there. I did notice that it didnt seem like a strong spark anyways. So that may be the cause. Thanks!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 04/10/16 at 21:01:09

Try cranking it while jumped to a known good car battery (car engine OFF!!!). You can remove a few variables this way.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Reply #4 - 04/11/16 at 06:45:09

Savages wont start cold on a low battery, though it does turn, it doesnt turn fast enough to start the engine.

In my creepy robot voice.
  IP Logged
Blake Farrar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/11/16 at 07:22:58

UPDATE: Put it on charger overnight. Woke up to full charge. Tried it and still won't start. Ugghhhhh! Haha. I'm going to test the spark today after class. Maybe it just has a bad plug under compression! *fingers crossed* ps. I can still smell gas after trying to crank it so I figure it's getting gas.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #6 - 04/11/16 at 07:39:40

you checked the plug, right? which means you had to pull/move the tank.

pull the tank and tighten ALL the connectors you can get a hold of ... then re-install the tank and turn key to on position, but do not turn over bike.

Run through all the switches and buttons you have, making sure all signals, horn and flashers are working. Turn off key and then back on, try turning over the bike.

If this doesn't work, more than likely the timing is off, you said you replaced the cam chain tensioner, right? You may have moved the chain when tinkering around with the chain tensioner.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Blake Farrar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/11/16 at 07:49:30

Dang it I do remember moving the chain so it's probably way out of time. How do I fix that? Gosh I'm dumb

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/11/16 at 07:56:06

If I twisted the gas, mine would not start. Flood, every time..
Before you go tearing into it, why not shoot some ether at the air intake? The air horn is under the seat.
If you don't have a multimeter, you would be ahead to have one. I don't remember what the minimum voltage is that the ignition system needs to make it spark.
A battery can go from Contender to
Pretender
by being run down, one last time. It can show you good voltage until it's under load. Treacherous and fickle they are.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blake Farrar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Did I jump Time?
Reply #9 - 04/11/16 at 09:14:48

So i had this great idea that while my tensioner was off getting fixed, i decided to spin the chain a couple good rounds (dont ask why, because im not sure why i did haha). Anyways now it gets fire and gas but wont crank. I think its out of time. so first did that jump it out of time when i spun the chain even though it was all connected? Also, if it is out of time how do i fix that? I have looked all over the place and havent found any good information and i dont have a manual Sad Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/11/16 at 09:25:11

It is best that you don't start a new thread for the same "Won't Start" issue......that way the member can keep track of how this started and what advice you have been given so far.

If you turned the engine forward....I really don't think the chain will jump time easily.  It would be possible to remove the left timing cover, and also the front (exhaust) valve inspection cover.  Slowly turn the engine over and watch the exhaust valve lift, and then begin to go down.....if you can see the intake valve behind just begin to open while the exhaust is just stopping the down motion (valve overlap)....that point occurs as the piston reaches the TDC between the exhaust and intake stroke.  Look at the timing mark on the left side of the crank/cover.....and see if the marks are close to TDC.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blake Farrar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/11/16 at 09:33:26

Got it! my bad for starting another post. But of course the rain started here so its under the cover and i probably cant look at it the rest of the day. I will keep you all updated. Thanks Dave for the advice there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/11/16 at 09:42:46

I tried that experiment when I replaced my chain.
Just wrenching it around, it would not jump.
I even pulled the chain off of the sprocket, and it wouldn't do it.
I don't remember now if I still had the rear guide still on though.

So, unless it got stuck and you had to force it, no I don't think it'll jump.

But, just to throw further doubt on your fears, people have changed their chain and got the timing wrong by one tooth and it still ran, just not good.

WWW   IP Logged
Blake Farrar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/11/16 at 09:45:19

Okay cool. Im going to make 1000% sure that my fire is good and fuel is good. Then i will check everything. I need to do my head plug anyways so I should be able to tell what all is happening when i remove the valve cover

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 04/11/16 at 12:21:24

Taking a battery in to be tested can be smart
Have you checked the water?

Do you know how old it is?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:17:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wont Start.....Weird???? HELP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.