Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear turn signal wiring guidance (Read 172 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Rear turn signal wiring guidance
04/23/16 at 21:36:39

I am relocating my rear turn signals to accommodate new saddlebags. I am using aftermarket dual filament red lights for running lights and blinkers. Note that my main tail light bulb is the superbright led flasher Dave recommended. Since the led draws less current and I am tapping into the main tail running light feed, am I at risk pulling too much current through the existing wire or does the led offset it enough where its a non issue?

These are very similar to what I have, for reference.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Heavy-Duty-Motorcycle-Bullet-Smoke-Turn-Signal...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rear turn signal wiring guidance
Reply #1 - 04/24/16 at 03:53:01

Most likely you won't have any wiring or wattage problems....you have dropped the tail/brake light down from 8 watts to about 1/3rd watt for the LED.....and you will be adding a pair of 8 watt running lights.....sothe effect is you are doubling what the wire used to run....and 16.3 watts is not very much and the stock wiring will not have any trouble.

Now....my "Safety Rant".  Those tiny turn signals don't have any reflectors, and they are not DOT approved......they will not be bright enough in the daylight to be seen by the distracted cager.  I have ridden behind motorcycles in Poker Runs and Group Rides, and although you can see the turn signals working when you are riding 50 feet behind them and you are paying attention.......they aren't nearly as bright as the stock DOT approved turn signals.

If you want a good set of turn signals with running light that looks good on the Savage - you can get a set of Savage front turns signals that are dual filamentand put the clear lenses on them, and then put in Red bulbs.....LED or regular filaments.

Wiring should not be a problem....you just splice the running lights off the brown tail light wire, and extend the turn signals wires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-S-DOT-Turn-Signal-Lens-Clear-Front-Rear-for-Suzuki-...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 04/24/16 at 19:20:27

Thanks,Dave.
I mocked up the mini bullet lights and I admit that the small size and visibility concern me. At a small distance, they are, else, small. I think I will switch back to the stock signals. Just need to work on a secure mount to move them to the license plate bracket.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 04/28/16 at 08:48:24

Dave,
You will be happy to know that I didn't use the aftermarket signals. I successfully relocated the stock signals to the license plate bracket. Had to extend the wires by about 6" to make the additional distance, but thankfully I have a wire stretcher  Grin

Personally I do like this look better than I thought I would and am glad I went to the extra effort it took to make the bracket and run the wires, etc.  When I get the bags permanently mounted, the contrast of the black bags against the signals will definitely help them 'pop' in the mid-day sun and hopefully be seen and paid attention to.

Thanks for the "Safety Rant"  Wink

IMG_20160428_075028.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/28/16 at 08:57:08

I see you have an extra mud flap/tag support.

What is that?  Purchased/Made?

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 04/28/16 at 09:08:30

Versy,
That was on the bike when I bought it used out of Texas. IIRC, he had some registration stickers/inspection stickers on it at the bottom. It's definitely factory made but there are no markings on it.  I removed it once, but I kinda like it as it adds support to the license plate, acts as a little mud flapper thingy, and gave me a place to add a couple of stickers  Cheesy

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/28/16 at 11:31:53

Verslagen,

The plate that you see was used by the Texas dealers to place the State Inspection Sticker.

We no longer get stickers. Texas changed the law where you have to have the bike inspected before you can get the annual license plate.

I am sure there are hundreds of the plates floating around if you want one.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 04/28/16 at 12:21:00

The stock license plate mount is prone to cracking the plate. I'm sure this extra piece reinforces it so you don't lose your plate due to it breaking off.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/28/16 at 12:46:56

That looks great......well done!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 04/28/16 at 13:43:40

Kris01 wrote on 04/28/16 at 12:21:00:
The stock license plate mount is prone to cracking the plate. I'm sure this extra piece reinforces it so you don't lose your plate due to it breaking off.

Precisely. Mine is already cracked and I think that's when I put it back on and decided to enjoy it.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/29/16 at 02:03:36

Inspection sticker plate. $3

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:26:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear turn signal wiring guidance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.