Spoke wrenches? (Read 297 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Spoke wrenches?
Reply #15 - 04/14/16 at 18:05:27

If the rim isn't centered on the hub, wouldn't that cause the tire to be out of balance. How much weight should I use before I worry about the rim being off-center? I've already used 50 grams on the rear wheel in one  area of the rim on both right and left sides, which is over 1-3/4 ounces worth, and it still isn't right yet. And yes, I put the weights on the upper side of the rim (opposite of where it settles).

Is there something wrong? I remember that the old tire had quite a few 1/4 ounce stick-ons I don't remember how many.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 04/14/16 at 18:09:47

Yes, the tire/wheel will be out of balance but you can't correct it with weights. The wheel will wobble regardless of how much weight you use. You need to center the wheel on the hub first.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #17 - 04/14/16 at 18:44:09

Are you saying that the wheel will still settle no matter how much weight I use, or does it just mean that there will still be a problem? Of course weight won't fix it. I'm just wondering whether the need to use 2+ ounces of weight points to an untrue rim, or whether that's normal. I think the last tire needed over an ounce. I'm wondering whether I have some pain-in-the-butt rim imbalance I have to worry about.

I haven't tested the tune of the spokes on the rear.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 04/14/16 at 18:46:49

If it's out of balance and the rim is not runnimg true, you can straighten it up by using the spoke wrench. The reason for the wire or nail or prybar close to the rim is so your eye can pick up Where the rim starts to deflect. You can get it perfe tly straight, but off center and one part farther from the axle. You're playing with a lot of stuff when you grab a spoke wrench.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #19 - 04/14/16 at 18:50:25

I tend to worry more about a lopsided wheel interfering with my tire balance job than I worry about the rim being untrue from side to side.

And yes, I blame my first wreck on an adult bicycle on untrue rims. That wreck was why I started wearing gloves for bike riding, if you know what I mean. I do understand what trouble a laterally untrue rim can cause.

Which is harder, getting the rim true or getting it centered?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 04/14/16 at 19:06:04

You can't balance this wheel with wheel weights. The light side (right side in pic) can have a ton of weight but it still won't balance. You need to center the hub 1st and THEN balance the tire. Centering the hub and balancing the tire are two separate jobs.

Untitled_007.jpg

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 04/14/16 at 19:08:07

Wow! That came out huge!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 04/14/16 at 19:11:29

I always handled them together.
The wire, use the wire, it Shows you everything you need to know.
STUDY the WHOLE WHEEL , mark on it, formulate a plan, THEN grab the wrench. If you don't know what you are trying to accomplish with every spoke, you're gonna fight it. You should know where its out of round and where it's off center left, off center right..
A spoke tightened or loosened in one place can affect a wheel on the opposite side of the wheel too..Depends on how dang screwed up things are. Adjust, rotate, study,
How hard would it be to balance a wheel that is two inches closer to the axle on one side and two inches further away on the other?

Dunlop tires are marked with a dot, the lightest part.

Before mounting a tire, you can check the wheel for balance, and see what you can figure out on the tire.

Or, pay someone.. I installed ONE rear tire.. never again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #23 - 04/14/16 at 21:14:21

I got the red dot on my shinko maybe an inch or two off from the valve core. It shouldn't cause that much trouble.

I took off quite a bit of weight from the last tire. Now I'm putting a lot of weight back on. I'm not sure it's in the same place, but this is making me a little concerned that it's more than simple tire balancing. Undecided Maybe the rim is imbalanced rather than the tire. Undecided Maybe the rim is heaviest at a point other than the valve core. Undecided

I'll take a look at it tomorrow and spin it to see if it's visibly off center. I'll also check the spokes. Maybe I can make some sense of this.

Some say that after they get so much weight on it, say 3 ounces or so, they spin the tire on the rim and try balancing again. I don't want to have to break down the tire again and risk pinching that tube.  Undecided

What happens when you get too much weight on a tire?

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #24 - 04/15/16 at 07:11:19

Mate, as has been said already;
Your tyres/tubes/wheels are the bit between you (as you are perched on a lump of metal, at speed) and the rock-hard road.

Get a professional to do the job  Wink

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #25 - 04/15/16 at 08:25:33

Nah, I need to do this myself. I need to get good at something. I'm not about to spend $75 an hour for someone to do what I would do better myself. You read that right... better... myself... Why? Because I'm willing to spend hours to carefully do what the pros will slap together in minutes. One of the drawbacks of being able to charge $75 an hour is that customers get pissed if they don't get their stuff ready QUICK. Yeah, they're a lot better and quicker at it, but they are also not as likely to be careful.  So, you see, there's a tradeoff. The pro job could be better.... or it could be worse.... No promises. The only thing that is promised most of the time is that money will be drawn from your pocket.

Now, if I were going to work on bikes, especially if I was just starting out, I would do it dirt cheap, maybe even free. As I got better, I would charge more, but I bet I could still give the customers a good deal no matter how good I got. I doubt anyone really needs to charge $75 an hour unless he can't deal with the flood of customers. Now, the one who quoted me that price has mechanics who work for him. That causes costs to go up. Right? A one man operation with low overhead shouldn't need to charge more than $50 per hour. In fact, there are quite a few people who are forced to live off minimum wage ($7.25). If a shop charged a mere $20 per hour, it would be piled mile high with customers. Of course, that figure doesn't really represent take home pay. Undecided

Besides, I basically have no job. The one I have has me scheduled to work 3 hours this week. Yeah, I said 3 hours in the whole cotton-pickin' week.

I've already run 2500 miles on an 8 year old tire on a beat up little Savage and wrecked twice. How could installing and balancing my own tire be any worse? How could truing my own wheels be any worse. It's not like I'm riding a precision Beemer or something. There's not much to screw up that wasn't off kilter from the factory. I'd say that, unless I screwed up something significantly, my bike should be significantly safer than it was previously.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 04/15/16 at 08:32:04

I would expect to be able to deflateit, break the bead and slip the tire on the rim. No risk of pinching.
You sure you don't have a lump of soap in the tire?
You said that the pulley is on it.
When stuff isn't working out, try changing something.

How are you doing this?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 04/15/16 at 17:55:50

Off topic replies have been removed.

If you have something else to say about Spoke Wrenches......proceed. Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #28 - 04/15/16 at 18:18:41

Okay. Smiley Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 01:30:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spoke wrenches?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.