Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
need HELP - riding goggles? (Read 160 times)
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: need HELP - riding goggles?
Reply #15 - 04/14/16 at 08:17:17

gizzo wrote on 04/14/16 at 04:15:20:
Well, live and learn. Cheap stuff is rarely as good as the good things. Seriously, check out the Halcyon range. They won't disappoint you. Only difference between my 25 year old ones and my new ones is the old pair have laminated glass, the new ones are polycarbonate.
What do you have against Nannini? They're beautiful goggles, made in Italy.
If you want something cool and strange, look for some ex military stuff: Russian tanker goggles look great. So do Korean war era MIG15 chinese pilots ones.

gizzo, I couldn;t find a Halcyon distrib. local. The "map" Halcyon provides for dealers is seriously INACCURATE. I checked dealers and no one carried them. Which begs serious questions if they can't even get there distrib network sorted, that S#!t = SALES = $$$$$

as for EMGO being cheap, nope. They're $40 when I purchased them, and have had other EMGO glasses which were vastly superior to these costume POS goggles. Granted my glasses were purchased a long time ago, but they had held up all this time.

as for "What do you have against Nannini? They're beautiful goggles, made in Italy. " - They're NOT made in Italy any more, CHINA made. And every single review I could find, except for the faux reviews from the sellers, all claimed the same thing, Nannini SUX now, cheap costume goggles Made In China.

I'll check the surplus stores for tanker goggles, at least I know those are somewhat MILSPEC.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 04/14/16 at 10:04:50

When you mentioned Army/Navy Surplus I typed in into google and got some interesting sites....

How about these?

http://www.armynavysales.com/products/wwii-m-1943-type-iii-goggles/

They are even tented a bit....

Or if you want to ride at night... you can pick up some NVG's here Smiley

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=goggle

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #17 - 04/14/16 at 10:19:13

old_rider -  

these

look like a butterfly or moth smashed into my face Shocked

but I had forgot about Sportsman's ... got some decent stuff from them in the past ...

these look similar to my old pair that "vanished" -

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #18 - 04/14/16 at 10:31:00

Didn't know if you wanted a "nostalgic look" or just something different from the norm.

A lot of the "cosplay steampunk" stuff is cool, and some do function, but its kind of a hit and miss.

I have a pair of clear military "goggles", they look like ski goggles, but I would rather wear the strap under my three quarter helmet than around it. And I have the strap cover my ears a little when I wear my half one.

On cold days I have a neoprene face mask (Velcro at back) and I use the strap from the goggles to cover the top tips of my ears and hold the facemask in place at the top Smiley  Keeps me warmer Smiley
The goggles can be used with regular glasses also, because of the foam around the edges.... only cut back is that if you don't treat the lenses, they WILL fog....even with the vent holes. Sad

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #19 - 04/14/16 at 14:45:10

DesertRat wrote on 04/14/16 at 08:17:17:
gizzo wrote on 04/14/16 at 04:15:20:
Well, live and learn. Cheap stuff is rarely as good as the good things. Seriously, check out the Halcyon range. They won't disappoint you. Only difference between my 25 year old ones and my new ones is the old pair have laminated glass, the new ones are polycarbonate.
What do you have against Nannini? They're beautiful goggles, made in Italy.
If you want something cool and strange, look for some ex military stuff: Russian tanker goggles look great. So do Korean war era MIG15 chinese pilots ones.

gizzo, I couldn;t find a Halcyon distrib. local. The "map" Halcyon provides for dealers is seriously INACCURATE. I checked dealers and no one carried them. Which begs serious questions if they can't even get there distrib network sorted, that S#!t = SALES = $$$$$

as for EMGO being cheap, nope. They're $40 when I purchased them, and have had other EMGO glasses which were vastly superior to these costume POS goggles. Granted my glasses were purchased a long time ago, but they had held up all this time.

as for "What do you have against Nannini? They're beautiful goggles, made in Italy. " - They're NOT made in Italy any more, CHINA made. And every single review I could find, except for the faux reviews from the sellers, all claimed the same thing, Nannini SUX now, cheap costume goggles Made In China.

I'll check the surplus stores for tanker goggles, at least I know those are somewhat MILSPEC.

Ok, fair enough. But the emgo ones look a lot like ones that can be had on eBay for a few $. I ordered my Halcyon goggs from the manufacturer's website in the UK. Too easy. Don't even have to leave the house. I didn't realise nannini was now made in China. That's a shame. Their web site still claims made in Italy. Good luck. The tanker ones will look cool.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #20 - 04/14/16 at 15:32:39

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. But the emgo ones look a lot like ones that can be had on eBay for a few $.

I ordered my Halcyon goggs from the manufacturer's website in the UK. Too easy. Don't even have to leave the house.

I didn't realise nannini was now made in China. That's a shame. Their web site still claims made in Italy. Good luck. The tanker ones will look cool.

I've seen the similar costume/burning-man googles on ebay and amazon. Emgo is supposed to be a decent manuf. Guess they're on the chinese bandwagon also. Too bad, cause I love their glasses.

What's stopping me form dropping $100+ US on a pair of Halcyon goggles are reviews like this -
Quote:
The metal is so thin, The - so called - "leather" padding is not leather...the lenses are plastic and I am just so disappointed in this purchase. I recently bought a new AGV helmet, which came with a free pair of goggles, which are every bit as good quality as these Halcyon ones. Flimsy, plastic, cheap and nasty....

and this -

Quote:
These things are vastly overpriced and were not assembled too well either!
I had to take apart and reassemble, in order to take strain off the glass, on one side.
Have been buying these since the sixties and sorry to say the quality is nowhere near the same.

I'm afraid that Halcyon is like many once great manufacturers, they're buying from chinese suppliers, assembling in country and because of legislation passed they can claim Made In <insert once great country>.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #21 - 04/14/16 at 18:15:17

Oh well. Good luck with the milspec ones. I can only comment on my personal experience with Halcyon. They come in leather (extra cost) and synthetic versions, and you can pay extra for laminated glass windows. I got the leather, with polycarb windows for my second pair and they seem just as good as the first pair (with glass) I bought 25 years ago. Only thing I've ever had to fix was worn out headbands.
From what I know of Emgo (it's not a local brand here) a lot of their stuff is rebranded Chinese gear. Googles for one, and their chain breaker for another. I bought the exact same chain breaker from china via ebay for about $20 including postage. Not saying Emgo is crap, I'm sure some of their gear is sensational.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #22 - 04/14/16 at 18:31:33

gizzo,

I have purchased a pair, reasonably inexpensive:

HALCYON MK8 Service goggles ; poly lenses and unsure of the "leather".

if they turn out to be of poor chinese quality as all the other major brands, the will go back to the manuf.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #23 - 04/14/16 at 20:43:48

If you bought reasonably inexpesnive, youre likely to have bought the vinyl ones and be disappointed. I apologise for sounding peevish: I'm going through the same thing at home. My daughter's BF is building his first cafe racer and keeps asking what to buy. Then goes off and gets something cheaper and nastier on ebay. I'm trying to impress on him the fact that it's better to spend the dosh once, on good quality gear, than tobuy cheap stuff that disappoints and having to buy again. But I seem to be failing. So it goes.
Theses are the ones I'd recommend. I use them myself. You can get them for less than DCC sells, though.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:49:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › need HELP - riding goggles?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.