Wanderlust
YaBB Newbies

All those who wander
are not lost. JRR
Tolkien

The Woodlands,Texas
Decompression solenoid
04/16/16 at 18:22:07

What is the importance of the decompression solenoid? and will the bike run without it, if so what kind of damage will it do to the bike

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Decompression solenoid
Reply #1 - 04/16/16 at 18:59:03

Wanderlust -

see 2nd "reply" in this Tech Doc -

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1169356966

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Wanderlust
YaBB Newbies

All those who wander
are not lost. JRR
Tolkien

The Woodlands,Texas
Reply #2 - 04/16/16 at 19:34:28

Thank you sir that helped alot

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/16/16 at 19:56:17

Everyone would like to toss that thing, and, it Can be done, but, it takes some doing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #4 - 04/16/16 at 20:45:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/16/16 at 19:56:17:
Everyone would like to toss that thing, and, it Can be done, but, it takes some doing.

AND 3 hands  Wink

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/17/16 at 04:57:12

The decompression solenoid opens the exhaust valve for a brief period when you first engage the starter.....it allows the engine to get some rotational momentum before the piston comes up on a compression stroke.

In warm weather with a good battery that is fully charged.....most often the compression release is not necessary, and the bike will start just fine.  However Suzuki designed the bike to run in all sorts of climates, and in very cold weather the oil is thick and the battery is down on performance, and the starter may not be able to get the engine to turn over if the piston comes up on the compression stroke before any momentum is built up in the rotating mass.  The compression release makes the bike far more reliable to start in poor conditions.

I eliminated my automatic compression release and it took me a while to design and build a manual system that worked well, and I rode for an entire summer without a compression release....and 99 out of 100 times the bike started just fine.  Every now and then the piston was on the compression stroke when I hit the starter button......and the starter could not push the piston up over TDC and I had to stop, put the bike in gear and roll it forward to get it off the compression stroke, then the bike started fine.  Now that I have a manual release I only use it when the piston does hit the compression stroke...most the time I don't need to use it.

The stock system works just fine....the only reason I got rid of it was that I used a different tank on my bike, and there was no room under the tank for the solenoid.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 16:53:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Decompression solenoid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.