Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
how to fix bad connection on connector (Read 184 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
how to fix bad connection on connector
04/03/16 at 19:36:26

I found why my headlight was going off intermittently and thought I fixed but light turns off when I turn the handlebars to the left. I am attaching of the male and female side of the connector. The yellow with white stripe (I think it was) wire is making an intermittent connection and even looks as if it overheated at one time. Is there a simple way to fix this?

The top right hand connection is the bad one.

connector1.JPG

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: how to fix bad connection on connector
Reply #1 - 04/03/16 at 19:38:29

Here is the other picture. On this picture is the far left top pin. Thanks.

connector2.JPG

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 04/03/16 at 19:41:53

Can you squeeze the female side closed a little bit for a tighter fit?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/03/16 at 19:48:04

I would push the connector out the back side and clean it up 1st.
then squeeze it a bit to make it fit tighter.

there's a little finger that snaps in when the connector is inserted into the plastic thingy.  you need to push that in, the the connector will slip out.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 04/03/16 at 19:53:37

The simplest way is to cut that pair of wires off where they enter the connectors and put them together using a male and a female bullet connector so you can still disconnect them if you ever need to.

Should be able to get the connectors at most auto parts stores.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CTI0/85429/N0215.oap?ck=Search_N0215...

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/04/16 at 08:54:02

Thanks for responding Versy and Oldnslow. Can't wait to have all that fun taking the tank off again. I'll try Versy's solution first but will probably buy the connectors before getting started just in case I cannot get it to work. Thanks.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/04/16 at 08:58:56

Thanks Kris. I did play with the connector a good bit and thought I had gotten it so the female side was a bit tighter but I guess not tight enough. I will definitely play with the connector a bit more before proceeding with more drastic measures.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/04/16 at 09:06:02

I used to be able to get in connectors with a straight pick and tighten up the connections, rather than pulling the wire out, but it never seems to last very long, I'd likely just go to the bullets, but then, I'm lazy  Grin

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 04/04/16 at 09:24:56

Art Webb wrote on 04/04/16 at 09:06:02:
I used to be able to get in connectors with a straight pick and tighten up the connections, rather than pulling the wire out, but it never seems to last very long, I'd likely just go to the bullets, but then, I'm lazy  Grin

Yup. The little locking tabs rely on spring tension to hold them in the plastic. If they got very hot they probably aren't very "springy" anymore. Might be able to save them,  I have  done it, but we're talking about a headlight. Having it suddenly blink off on a dark road might not be worth the risk.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/04/16 at 10:16:25

You make a good point there Oldnslow. The headlight actually cut out on me on a country road where it was close to pitch black. I immediately pulled off the road, way off but before I could even think of what could be wrong it came back on and thank God it stayed on until I got home. Actually it cut out on me a couple more times but at least I was in well lit areas at the time. And of course it came back on before I could even think of what to do with it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 04/05/16 at 09:16:40

Like others, I'd wire around it and use something that will unplug.
Some neat stuff can be cut out of a wiring harness in a junkyard.
Or, the bullet or even the spade connection.
Radio Shack USED to be a handy stop...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/05/16 at 09:36:40

You might try cleaning the problematic terminal with Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner.  Put a drop or two into the terminal that is causing the problem, and let it work for a few minutes - but don't let it dry.  Then flush it out with water in a squirt bottle, and then some brake cleaner.....followed by blowing it out with your air compressor if you have one.  Then use a little dialectric grease on all the terminals to help prevent corrosion.

If that doesn't do it....the next step would be to take out the female end from the connector and see if it is deformed - you might be able to crimp it a bit tighter.

If you don't want to do any of those (or they don't work).....I have a Bullet Connector kit and can make you a connector to splice into the wiring harness to bypass that part of the connector.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 04/05/16 at 10:41:44

+1 on the dielectric grease.

Also, this involves being really careful and not overheating the terminal, but you could try to add some solder to the "male" part of the connector as to make it a little thicker so it is getting a good connection to the "female" part of the connector if it is fatigued and not as springy as it once was.  Just remember that overheating the terminal can cause other things to melt and break loose if you aren't careful.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 04/05/16 at 15:51:38

Thanks for the additional input gentlemen. I actually considered what you described Stu, but I did not want to risk screwing it up further. I tried to get that wire out of the connector but did not have any luck and did not want to man handle it without having a ready alternative if I screwed it up. I scraped at it with a pick and tried to push it tighter and after all that I did add dielectric grease. And it actually works pretty well as long as I do not have to make a slow speed left turn. Grin

Dave, I appreciate the offer for the pigtail but I need to get it done right away to make sure the bike is ready for heading to the Twisted Sisters next week. So, I'll be taking the gul durn tank off again and playing with it. Thanks.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #14 - 04/05/16 at 15:59:38

I had the same problem 2 years ago.  I had ti by-pass the entire connector with three wires to make it work.  I crimped & weather packed them and haven't had any issues since.  I hope it works out well for you.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:26:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › how to fix bad connection on connector

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.