Oil near spark plug (Read 50 times)
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil near spark plug
04/07/16 at 11:40:13

Hey all,

Pic is looking down into left side of motor by spark plug.  Got in there to replace spark plug and see some oil's slopped it's way around in there.  Also believe I spy a little oil seeping down the ridges of the engine case on the right side from underneath the chrome covers too.  Guessing I have the head plug leak because, why not? So, gonna study the walk throughs of taking the top off the motor a few times then go ahead and take care of it while waiting on new verslavvy modded tensioner adjusters. Won't be getting to it til next weekend but figured i'd post stuff here since I rely on this site for everything I've done on the bike so far.  New Dyna pipe is all fitted to the header to go back on.  Stock petcock is removed, vacuum line's sealed with cap from autozone and new raptor is two screws away from being installed.  New KN air filter is in there and I'll be doing the white spacer mod and putting in a 150 main jet over the next few weeks. (At about 1900 ft elevation) There's a couple links to walk throughs of head plug fix so I guess I don't have any questions, but your words of caution and advice are always appreciated. Have a good one.

IMG_1925.JPG
  IP Logged
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Oil near spark plug
Reply #1 - 04/07/16 at 11:41:01

view from a bit further out

IMG_1927.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/07/16 at 12:03:33

It looks to me like the sealant between the cylinder head and head cover may be leaking.  I had this  same problem on my rescue bike, and when you take the head cover off to fix it....you should do the head plug at the same time.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1440293732

One other thing that can cause this is the washer under the left front head stud.....if that area is not sealed oil can week around the washer or nut - the stud is surrounded by the oil return port from the cylinder head.  You can take the nut and washer off, clean them, apply never seize to the threads and a bit of sealant to the washer on both side, then torque the nut.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/07/16 at 14:58:21

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1