Send Topic Print
Backfire (Read 122 times)
Anegative
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Backfire
04/02/16 at 18:31:05

The story goes. I bought a 2012 suzuki boulevard s40/savage. 1500 miles with stock exhaust that sounded like a wet fart. So I found this forum by google search and found the article about changing the exhaust to HD exhausts. I found a debaffled Dyna exhaust at a local motorcycle shop for 25$. Got it on pretty easy with no exhaust leaks. And Rejetted the carb to 150 main. It backfired bad. So i then did the white spacer mod with 2 washers. it seemed promising. but when i rode out it still backfired pretty bad. I been fiddleing with the mixture screw and idle screw. but Idk what to do. I read all the articles and watched videos but its confusing to me :'( my elevation is 1848 ft.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Backfire
Reply #1 - 04/02/16 at 19:51:00

Did you replace the pilot jet as well?

Backfiring is normal for this bike. Is it a "poof" or a shotgun blast?

Learn to close the throttle gently. Don't just slam it shut. It makes a big difference.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/03/16 at 08:43:08

'Debaffled' means you may be basically running a drag pipe, you will need a bigger pilot jet most likely
an unmolested HD muff often requires a bigger pilot, so probably any debaffling will make that a surety
If your pilot needs to be more than 2 turns out that means you pilot is too small IIRC

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/03/16 at 10:05:28

Call me an old frump, but, to me, debaffled is just PC for ruined.
A solid Dyna  has proven itself to be easily tuned to and other benefits. Once it's been messed with, jetting just gets trickier.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 04/03/16 at 10:09:14

You may not truly ever get a debaffled muffler tuned correctly. They are very finicky.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #5 - 04/03/16 at 10:11:28

I left the DYNA swap alone, no gutting, just swapped and adjusted. Sounds good, not GREAT, way better than stock for sure, plus dropped quite a few pounds over stock and slimmed down the side profile as too.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Anegative
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/03/16 at 13:16:02

yeah its more of a shotgun blast lol. and no i did not mess with the pilot jet. just went up to 150 on the main and did 2 washers on the white spacer mod.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 04/03/16 at 19:16:53

Reread the carb threads. The main jet is used mostly for WOT or near WOT throttle settings. The white spacer is midrange. The pilot jet is for off idle.

You need to run a richer pilot too.

IP Logged
Anegative
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/04/16 at 17:55:26

Well I decided to scrap the dyna exhaust since its debaffled and im having all this trouble and ordered the bluecollarbobbers exhaust kit. hopefully it comes in soon so i can get back on the road. heres their description
SUZUKI SAVAGE DRAG PIPE (EXHAUST)
$170.00

Qty:
Choose Your Wrap Color

What a fun look and sound for your Savage (S40)!  Our drag pipe has mild baffles, which give a louder Titan stock sound, yet not obnoxious, like straight-through mufflers.  The baffles also give about the same back pressure, so re-jetting may not be necessary, (altitude and the year of your bike will determine that).
Suzuki drag pipe with mild baffles. (Exhaust)
It's 27 1/2" long and has a cool rumble. Not too loud, not too quiet.
The front header pipe gasket is included along with your choice of black, tan or white exhaust wrap.
Stainless ties and DVD show easy installation. We show removal of the stock pipe and how to wrap your new drag pipe while it's on the bike.
Look tough like a bobber should!!! (No cutting required).

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 04/04/16 at 18:05:44

I have no experience with the BCB pipe but if they call it a drag pipe (and it is) then that's essentially what you had before.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/05/16 at 03:41:37

If "debaffled" means they drilled a hole in the plug in the center of the pipe (or drove a steel bar against it and knocked it out) - you can restore the plug by driving a 1-1/4" freeze plug down the pipe to a point midway between the holes in the inner pipe.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 04/06/16 at 00:34:45

If you don't get a good seal where the muffler clamps on it's gonna' cause pops. I am on my second Harley muffler. The Low and Night Train muffs are what I've used. Stock. Bolt right on. Carb out 1 1/2 turns. Spark plug golden brown. Not too loud but not like a commercial lawn mower, either.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 18:31:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.