Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
EPA wants to ban all aftermarket mufflers (Read 206 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

EPA wants to ban all aftermarket mufflers
03/24/16 at 06:25:45

I picked this up in another motorcycle forum.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2016/03/23/epa-proposes-legislation-to-ban-aftermar...

The article is concerned about bikes used in competition but it would also apply to street machines.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: EPA wants to ban all aftermarket mufflers
Reply #1 - 03/24/16 at 06:47:45

not sure how they could, the push back from the free market would be epic. or maybe this is a shakedown ???

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/24/16 at 11:17:22

Yeah, the free market is just killing them as they regulate our power plants out of existence.

Is a Dyna aftermarket? Can't I run a muffler on my car from the muffler shop or do I have to get it from the dealership?

Time to ditch them, along with the energy and education and several other alphabet agencies.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 03/24/16 at 15:52:56

There's an organisation in the US called SEMA, which has helped aftermarket and antique car people in the past. Perhaps you could google it, and a phone call or email to your congressman can also help.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/24/16 at 17:19:58

That's not how it works now..
Legislators have allowed the unelected regulators power to create regulations that are restrictive and effectively law.
And then people wonder why I point stuff out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 03/24/16 at 18:20:36

ALL aftermarket mufflers? I'd like to see the language in this bill.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
r80rt
YaBB Newbies

Nomad

Hills of Arkansas
Reply #6 - 03/24/16 at 18:38:04

If it makes ya grin, there's a law against it.

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 03/25/16 at 18:22:00

r80rt wrote on 03/24/16 at 18:38:04:
If it makes ya grin, there's a law against it.

Can you elaborate?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 03/25/16 at 18:50:49

Kris01 wrote:

Quote:
ALL aftermarket mufflers? I'd like to see the language in this bill.

I think this is the relevant section:

From Title 42-THE PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELFARE
CHAPTER 85-AIR POLLUTION PREVENTION AND CONTROL
SUBCHAPTER II-EMISSION STANDARDS FOR MOVING SOURCES
Part A-Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards

The following acts and the causing thereof are prohibited-
(1) in the case of a manufacturer of new motor vehicles or new motor vehicle engines for distribution in commerce, the sale, or the offering for sale, or the introduction, or delivery for introduction, into commerce, or (in the case of any person, except as provided by regulation of the Administrator), the importation into the United States, of any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine, manufactured after the effective date of regulations under this part which are applicable to such vehicle or engine unless such vehicle or engine is covered by a certificate of conformity issued (and in effect) under regulations prescribed under this part or part C in the case of clean-fuel vehicles (except as provided in subsection (b) of this section);
(2)(A) for any person to fail or refuse to permit access to or copying of records or to fail to make reports or provide information required under section 7542 of this title;
(B) for any person to fail or refuse to permit entry, testing or inspection authorized under section 7525(c) of this title or section 7542 of this title;
(C) for any person to fail or refuse to perform tests, or have tests performed as required under section 7542 of this title;
(D) for any manufacturer to fail to make information available as provided by regulation under section 7521(m)(5) of this title;
(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or
(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter,

The bills listed in the cycle world article would add language specifically excluding competition vehicles. Without that language it's a matter of how the above is interpreted and how "moving sources"(of air pollution) are defined I think.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/25/16 at 18:54:39

I can't see how mufflers would be included. Catalytic converters, yeah, but the muffler does nothing to affect the amount or quality of anything that comes out of the motor.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 03/25/16 at 19:20:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/25/16 at 18:54:39:
I can't see how mufflers would be included. Catalytic converters, yeah, but the muffler does nothing to affect the amount or quality of anything that comes out of the motor.

You're right. But the original article says this:

"Proposed legislation from the Environmental Protection Agency is aimed at stamping out the use of aftermarket exhaust systems."

They're not talking about just mufflers. And this is the EPA we're talking about. I would expect them to argue that the muffler is an integral part of the "exhaust system" and as such can't be modified.

Years ago I'd have said that without a doubt they'd loose that argument, but now I'm not so sure. Remember "Cash for Clunkers"? I sure as he*l didn't see that one coming down the pike  Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 03/25/16 at 20:54:15

You know how many people WORK replacing factory systems with identical in function, but different manufacturers, and therefore
Aftermarket exhaust systems?
Or maybe that's the reason.. kill more jobs. Obsolete older cars.
If it's gotta be a dealership job,many old cars would be totaled.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 03/25/16 at 21:04:18

being most of these bikes are made or have parts sourced in the orient...
the american thing to do is to allow aftermarket.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/25/16 at 21:26:23

the american thing to do

Isn't something that I have seen a lot of in recent decades

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 03/25/16 at 21:58:40

Angry

Not happy...

How many good old cars and trucks-- potential classics one day-- got trashed in Cash-for-Clunkers? I'm a fan of the first generation Ford Rangers. Used to be everywhere. How many do you see now.  Sad

Pollution can be a problem, and noise too, but can't they just leave people alone? Why do the noise/pollution control freaks have to win so much? ( Or do they?) Running this country is supposed to be about deal making, problem solving, and reasonable compromises so that everybody is happy.

I take it that Trump is the kind of guy to fix that problem.  Huh A deal-maker

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:12:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › EPA wants to ban all aftermarket mufflers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.