Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ammo bad? fill me in ... (Read 119 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Ammo bad? fill me in ...
03/21/16 at 20:08:47

Bought some .22 cal Remington ammo for plunking and critter killin'

However... once I started really looking at them... i'm not sure I should even be using them...

Help me out here, should I trust them or send the video to Remington Quality Control?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_J_tDdpHe4

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ammo bad? fill me in ...
Reply #1 - 03/21/16 at 20:19:07

I poked the clip twenty times, nothing.

I need the link.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #2 - 03/21/16 at 20:20:38

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 03/21/16 at 22:06:56

Looked at a few more videos and it looks like the crack there i'm seeing is actually a pressing channel around the base of the lead.
But, I am still upset with the looseness of the rounds.
Won't that cause my projection path to be off on a longer distant shot?
My laser setup is accurate up to the 40 yard mark on the indoor range, I have yet to try it on an outdoor target farther than that.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/22/16 at 07:13:48

Naa,.. once that bullet is chambered, it's got no choice but to go straight down the barrel...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/22/16 at 07:44:54

They look pretty crappy - I wouldn't keep them around very long as the humidity in the air might do something to the powder after a while.

I would either - Take them back to where you bought them and return them for better ammo or a refund......or shoot them up quickly.  I most likely would not use them in a gun that is a semi-auto.....that wiggly tip might not work too well at those kinds of loading speeds.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 03/22/16 at 07:46:59

Serobot's right. It isn't unusual for 22 projectiles to wiggle in the case. they have a "heel" at the base of the bullet that slides down into the case that is a bit smaller in diameter than the rest of the bullet. As long as you can't pull the round apart they are ok. I've shot lots of those exact cartridges without any problems. It's plinking ammo, and before the prices went crazy a few years ago, was just about the cheapest stuff you could buy. The biggest issue I've found with those particular Remington rounds is inconsistent velocities. Sometimes I can even hear the difference in the sound of the report when the round goes off. That's not great for accuracy, but for just screwing around, popping tin cans and stuff like that, they are fine. My Ruger 10/22 for some reason shoots almost as well with them as it does with some of the so-called match grade ammo.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/22/16 at 08:04:52

I'm by no means an expert, but I have yet to encounter a 10-22 that doesn't shoot well with just about any ammo you care to feed it
Heck that seems to mostly be true of any Ruger for that matter
I had a mini 14 that'd outshoot most modified ARs in my circle (though not with me shooting)and was as reliable as a rock while the ARs were getting testy about less than optimal weather conditions

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #8 - 03/22/16 at 09:09:22

Did you buy a box of Thunder-duds (thunderbolts)? The thunder-duds are known to be junk lately (last year or so)

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 03/22/16 at 09:18:22

Best .22 cal longs?

How about some input on that then?

I'm not a hoarder or anything, just want quality ammo when I need it....

I never have more than about 500 rounds of any ammo at a given time.

I did notice that they left a lot of powder residue after about 100 rounds.

I found the issue when I was messing with grandma's old .22 cal Galesi-Brescia pistol. I cannot get it to feed correctly and ordered a Beretta spring to see if it would work. j
And that's another issue Smiley

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #10 - 03/22/16 at 09:46:14

Plenty of other choices out there besides Remington ammo. It all depends on what you are looking to do. Are you just wanting decent plinking ammo or are you looking to ring out the most accuracy from your rifle? WHat rifle (or pistol) are you shooting? For plinking, look at Federal/American Eagle, or CCI bulk packs. Once you get into high precision, then there are plenty of different ammo brands to look at. As far as your pistol, try some high velocity ammo in it (after spring is fixed). Most .22lr pistols prefer high velocity over standard velocity.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 03/22/16 at 10:12:41

I will use the .22 cal mainly in the Ruger 10/22 breakdown that I have. I have a laser setup on it that i'm tuning in for accuracy.

I will be attempting to get my suppressor certificate so I can shoot unwanted critters in my yard (suburban area legal) without freaking my neighbors out that there is a shoot out going on.

The Galesi is an old 1963 Italian .22 cal semi-auto type. The gunsmith at the local range doesn't even have an online break-down copy, but I have saved a site that does to my favorites.
However, that site does not sell the springs for the magazines.... and well, the GB was notorious for mis-feeds and jamming, so I am attempting to perhaps fix that with a new spring.
The gunsmith did tell me though, that I should be careful what I shoot out of it, as it was a "cheap" pocket type pistol.
Personally, I don't think he knows anything about it and was just trying to keep me from hurting myself. I think it was the first one he had ever seen or even heard of.

Here are a couple pics... handles are off because I am "attempting" to make some wooden ones Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 03/22/16 at 15:28:04

That's not right. The crimp isn't tight. You'll get lower muzzle velocity. Grouping will be affected. Some, tight and fast,others, loose, slower, lower,
If you see groups with fliers to the right and left of what you are accustomed to, then the notion that
They have to go straight down the barrel
comes into question.
The retailer probably won't help you, because ammunition return laws are weird. I had a hard time returning pellet gun ammo. I had to point out that I Couldn't have
Tampered
with it, it Has No Powder and all of it is visible.
YMMV...
I'm all in with going Public and going to the manufacturer.
IMO, they should ship you a few boxes, free.
That's some crappy manufacturing. Could lead to jams, depending on how the reload system is designed.
Ruger 10/22, one of the lusts of my life.

For the close range, and peace of mind, knowing that you can't kill someone a half mile away,...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506295321/aguila-super-colibri-ammunition-2...

But, it won't cycle an automatic..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 03/25/16 at 23:18:33

Thunderbolt has been junk since at least the mid 1970s. Dirty, loose, inconsistent powder charge... Fair to middling tolerable in an old Stephens M44 or similar rolling/falling block single shot. Has a tendency to get stuck in magazines of bolt or lever actions. Nearly useless in automatics.

I can use it in my Iver Johnson Target 55A 8 shot revolver. But can miss my foot from my belt with it... Using quality ammunition I can knock squirrels down at 60 to 70 feet with ease.

Remington makes okay centerfire ammunition, occasionally. Their rim fire offerings are a waste of money.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 03/25/16 at 23:47:26

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506295321/aguila-super-colibri-ammunition-2...

No Powder, won't cycle an automatic. But, in the Henry, I could hear the hammer fall, that is all.
The pellet gun is louder.
Pistol is louder.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:21:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ammo bad? fill me in ...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.