Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Loud "POP" at shut down (Read 167 times)
Rambler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loud "POP" at shut down
03/14/16 at 14:34:13

I get a loud "POP" at shut down and it  back fires on deceleration.    I have installed a Raptor and put in fresh 89 octane. It accelerates and idols just fine.  It has an after market Jardine muffler.  I don't know what if anything has been done to the carb or air filter.  Just bought this 2007 model with 8,000 miles.

P.S: Will the ignition key open the battery box?  It's the only key I have and it is not opening it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Loud "POP" at shut down
Reply #1 - 03/14/16 at 14:45:51

Rambler wrote on 03/14/16 at 14:34:13:
I get a loud "POP" at shut down and it  back fires on deceleration.    I have installed a Raptor and put in fresh 89 octane. It accelerates and idols just fine.  It has an after market Jardine muffler.  I don't know what if anything has been done to the carb or air filter.  Just bought this 2007 model with 8,000 miles.

you'll always have this problem with an open muffler.

Quote:
P.S: Will the ignition key open the battery box?  It's the only key I have and it is not opening it.

Yes it should, may have been replaced and not rekeyed.
The locking bracket is screwed to the box on the bottom.
not sure if you can see the two screws.  if you can, unscrew it and take to get it matched to you key.
or see a thread about it in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
Rambler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/14/16 at 14:56:50

I saw Dyna mufflers on E-Bay... cheap.  Are Dyna mufflers open?  Will they stop the shut down PoP?
Will the "POP" and back firing hurt anything?  Blow a head gasket or worse?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/14/16 at 15:33:03

It's our preferred goto replacement.

But still can have some shutdown pop.
disclaimer: to some people even a mouse fart is a pop

WWW   IP Logged
Rambler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/14/16 at 16:19:53

Thanks

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 03/14/16 at 19:18:41

The shutdown pop should just be a poof and not a loud shotgun blast if the carb is tuned properly. The Jardine is hard to tune anyway.

BTW, 89 octane is doing nothing for you but lightening your wallet. We only run 8.5:1 compression (unless you've changed that with a Wiseco piston).

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rambler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/15/16 at 06:46:38

The "POP" is more like a 22 caliper not a shot gun blast.  It turns heads though.  I will not fool with the carb and exhaust tuning until I decide if I'm going to bob it or not.  I will start using regular gas my wallet is light enough.  Will the "POP"  hurt the engine?  Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/15/16 at 07:40:06

The explosion out the muffler occurs because you have tunred the ignition off, and there is no spark in the engine to ignite the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder, and while the engine is slowing down from the 1,100 rpm idle it is still pulling fuel/air through the carb and just pumping it through the engine and into the hot header/muffler.  Once the unburned fuel mixture gets warmed up to the flash point somewhere in the muffler......"POW".  If the idle mixture tends to be on the lean side, the noise is louder.  A bike that has proper idle mixture tends to be more of a "poof".......than a "pow".

You can sometimes eliminate the explosion by not shutting the bike off instantly when you come to a stop - let the bike idle for 15-20 seconds before you turn the key off.  High idle speeds also tend to make the noise louder as there will be more fuel pumped into the exhaust by the faster turning engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rambler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/15/16 at 10:08:27

Thanks, good to know.

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #9 - 03/15/16 at 12:58:05

You can also hold in the front brake let out the clutch till engine dies then turn off and probably will not pop

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/15/16 at 13:25:34

Chase wrote on 03/15/16 at 12:58:05:
You can also hold in the front brake let out the clutch till engine dies then turn off and probably will not pop

Yeah....that does work and might not draw as much attention as the bang - but it doesn't always look that graceful.

A few other folks pull out the choke to make the mixture richer and soften the "Boom" to a "Poof"....I am not a fan of that as it puts an overly rich mixture in the cylinder, and washing the oil off the cylinder wall is never a good thing.

For some reason my bike rarely ever makes a "poof", and it never, ever makes a "splosion".

I suggest that folks need to confirm the idle mixture screw is adjusted properly for whatever muffler they have installed....if they still have the factory jetting and screw setting - a "bang" is most likely going to be part of their normal routine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/15/16 at 13:34:00

shove a potato in the tailpipe till quits by itself then.

it's not a backfire... it's a belch of power!

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 03/15/16 at 18:37:25

I believe my bike is tuned properly but it still pops (in the Winter) on shutdown. It's because of the colder, denser air making it run a little leaner. In the summer it shuts down without a hiccup. That's actually normal for this bike and it won't hurt a thing. I've tuned it mostly for summer riding (for obvious reasons).

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rambler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/15/16 at 18:47:14

I think I've got it; hold front brake, let out clutch, pull out choke, shove a potato up the tailpipe and no "splosion".

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #14 - 03/15/16 at 20:34:53

I love it. it's usually more of a thud and occasionally a loud BANG! If it's dark out, can see a flame come out, too  Cool. It's no problem and part of the fun.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:13:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loud "POP" at shut down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.