Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head cover bolt / threads fix suggestions (Read 57 times)
Wildmatt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Head cover bolt / threads fix suggestions
03/08/16 at 09:28:59

Skip 2 second paragraph for short version
I'm new to the savage but not to wrench turning .
I recently bough two beautiful savages a 95 and 98 both in pieces
Previous owner said they were both his daily drivers at one point a few years ago ... he was a ss.com student and I heard the verslagen name before I gave him a dollar .. he was in the process of addressing the oil plug on the 98 and the 95 was opened to replace the ... cam chain tensioner (98has a verslavy )) . So I guess the  guy buys a 2cyl and leaves the savages well wrapped and organized( head cover pdf taped to a cardboard box only missing a few from each Smiley !!!
in  dad's garage 3+years  till I arrive ..so like I said   bikes are in pieces fenders taken off no worries .. I get into putting head cover back on the 90% complete 1998. Thats when i find a  broken bolt& extract it
I thats the kink that stopped the previous owner from proceeding ..
Or maybe this has some thing to do with it ? .

ANY way
The only L130 (the longest bolt )   in the whole stinking head cover is moderately stripped
Well its not actually the bolt it's the threads it goes into
It only catches without the washer in place and then only a bit
Also the threads on the screw contained pieces of the threads that were inside the head

When I remove the head cover
The threads seem to go deeper and leads me to think a longer screw is a good solution
However

I ask because it appears to be in an oil passage and obviously  I dont want to choke it out ..

Would a helix coil help ?
Are the screw lengths in mm?

Thanks ,wild matt

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Head cover bolt / threads fix suggestions
Reply #1 - 03/08/16 at 09:39:06

Yep....that stud is in an oil galley....and I don't think you have any choice but to tear it down and fix it properly.  There just isn't any good way to work on it...without worrying about where the loose metal pieces are going.The oil galley goes up to lubricate the cam and rockers in the head.

Here is a link to where I repaired a cylinder that was not bolted to anything.  You most likely could do this repair with the cylinder still on the engine - but you have to remove the engine from the frame to get the head off the studs.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448209911

In another thread we are going to attempt to do a repair on the L125 bolt that is just a bit farther forward of the L130 bolt - but there is no oil galley in that location and I am not sure the use of a longer stud will work - but it is worth a try.  Hopefully we can get this done this week....we have both been fighting colds.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1455398066

You could try this "long stud" approach - but I would sure be concerned about the loose stipped threads blocking an oil port.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/08/16 at 09:59:35

Yes, lengths in MM.

and you can put a slightly longer bolt in that position to grab more thread... tapered, thread forming type in my opinion.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/08/16 at 10:22:15

verslagen1 wrote on 03/08/16 at 09:59:35:
Yes, lengths in MM.

and you can put a slightly longer bolt in that position to grab more thread... tapered, thread forming type in my opinion.

I am trying the "stud" approach on the other bike soon....my idea is that you can run the stud all the way down as far as it will go until it just can't go any farther....then put a nut on top and snug the nut down......trim the stud to length if you need to.  That way you will be getting access to all the threads that are left in hole, and with a slight taper and a couple of slots cut in the end of the stud....you may even be able to cut a few new threads.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/08/16 at 10:56:41

I'd put a rod down the hole to find out how deep it was 1st.
That'll be the max length of the bolt.
To eliminate chips and to maximize strength of the threads, I like the thread forming type to work harden the threads

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/08/16 at 13:43:13

verslagen1 wrote on 03/08/16 at 10:56:41:
I'd put a rod down the hole to find out how deep it was 1st.
That'll be the max length of the bolt.
To eliminate chips and to maximize strength of the threads, I like the thread forming type to work harden the threads

If you could find a bolt like that and get it a bit longer....you could crank it into the hole and thread it down as far as it will go - there will already be oil in that hole to lubricate the thread forming.  Then hopefully the bolt head is not seated, and you can then measure for how many washers you could stack to be just a bit more than the gap.....and that way the bolt will get as many threads as possible before the head contacts the washers and becomes tight.  (Remember that this bolt needs a sealing washer to keep the oil from flowing past the bolt....so if you stack washers you will need to use sealant between them).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:25:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head cover bolt / threads fix suggestions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.