Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Re: Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak - stripped th (Read 389 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak - stripped th
Reply #15 - 02/17/16 at 04:50:58

Zonablazer wrote on 02/17/16 at 04:32:55:
This problem appears to be so common. Has anyone looked into having some stainless bolt made or something? Maybe a Co-op order from a company to make them?

The problem is not the bolt.....the threads that strip are the ones in the aluminum cylinder casting. Folks just seem to want to crank a lot of torque on these small bolts, and they really can't handle it.  If folks are trying to torque to 6-8 ft/lbs using their 150 ft/lb torque wrench.....they stand a good chance of over torquing the bolt and stripping the threads (My 150 ft/lb torque wrench is just about useless for anything less than 30 ft/lbs....the click is so weak that you can't hear or fell it at low settings).

I do believe that anytime I have a cylinder head off in the future....I am going to just go ahead and install the helicoil insert while the engine is apart.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #16 - 02/17/16 at 07:26:34

On transmission pan bolts, I used to use a cordless drill / driver with clutch
mine would tighten perfectly on '5', the head mechanic's Dewalt did the job on '2' so a bit of experimentation was needed
Probably couldn't get to these with a drill / driver though
also had a 1/4 drive speed wrench for when the drill ran down, a great tool that's under appreciated IMO

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #17 - 02/17/16 at 07:53:13

Dave,
Would it be possible to drill the hole a bit deeper and cut new thread?

Let us know how it turns out.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #18 - 02/17/16 at 07:58:27

I used to have a Volvo marine engine and all the 6mm holes had some kind of S.S. insert already there.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 02/17/16 at 08:07:59

Actually if there's enough meat there that'd be a great option here, not a helicoil but a threadsert, if they make them in that size
I used theos to fix stripped spark plug holes a few times, and they were like 1000x better than screwing  steel threads into aluminum
negated the need for never seize, too

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #20 - 02/17/16 at 20:23:25

The main problem is the 6mmX1 thread! The Japanese manufacturers seem to have an inexplicable affection for that anachronistic aberration.

Either use a coarser pitch or both a larger thread size and a coarser pitch.
I am sick of having to tread so carefully when working on alloy machinery using this thread.

There I said it!  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 02/18/16 at 04:09:00

norm92de wrote on 02/17/16 at 07:53:13:
Dave,
Would it be possible to drill the hole a bit deeper and cut new thread?

I don't believe it would be possible to drill the hole any deeper - or you will drill though the bottom of the casting.  I have posted a photo below to show which hole is stripped.  This hole is in a small "boss" cast in the side of the cylinder.  it is a "blind" hole that does not extend out the side of the cylinder.  If you tried to drill it much deeper you would make a hole in the bottom.  It may be possible to use a bottoming tap and get a few more threads in the existing hole.  

And the potential for for installing a threaded insert, helicoil or larger bolt really isn't an option when the bike is fully assembled.  The bolt is 125mm long (5"), and it passes through the head cover, through the cylinder head, and into the cylinder.  The insert/heli-coil is easy when the head is off - but not when the engine is assembled.  The threaded portion of the hole is the bottom 14mm at the top of the cylinder....so you have 111mm of head cover and cylinder head you have to negotiate to get to where the stripped threads are located.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 02/18/16 at 07:25:16

Wow, hope that bottoming tap works, otherwise I see engine disassembly in the future
glad you're local to him Dave, this could get complexicated

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #23 - 02/18/16 at 09:23:23

Dave,
I completely misunderstood the situation!  Embarrassed

I thought that the female thread was in the head not the cylinder, duh.
I can see that you will have a devil of a time without removing the head.

A Helicoil or a larger thread may be your only options if your plan doesn't work out.

Be sure to let us all know the outcome.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #24 - 02/18/16 at 16:16:09

Dave,
Looking at my engine, and I know this is blasphemy, what would happen if you did drill through the bottom of the hole? You could put a 6mm nut on the end of your long s.s. rod and be home free

The next time, a Helicoil could be fitted with the cylinder restored to almost original.

IP Logged
ghryx
YaBB Newbies

argh.

Reply #25 - 05/07/16 at 17:33:36

I've been meaning to respond to this for a while. Dave not only made the part for me, but came over to my place and installed it - turns out he lives about 10 miles from me!  It worked perfectly. He had to tap it gently with a hammer to get it to bite, but once it bit all was well. I took a pic of the fix, I'll post it post haste.

And BTW - THANKS DAVE!!! You're  a lifesaver.

Now the irony is that it turns out the nut in the cubby next to the exhaust port was leaking and my whole cap-leak repair may have been completely unnecessary.  Ah well, at least it won't need to be done again.  Tongue

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 05/09/16 at 06:38:22

So....it is together and running again?

Great - now if we could just get the rain to stop!

IP Logged
ghryx
YaBB Newbies

argh.

Reply #27 - 05/12/16 at 16:10:35

It's a bit sputter-ish. Seems like it's not very happy at low-mid throttle, almost acts like it's starving for fuel in just that spot. Seems ok everywhere else. But yeah. It works!  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 05/12/16 at 16:42:20

You live ten miles from Dave? Your bike should act right by osmosis. Maybe ten miles is just too far..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 05/12/16 at 18:05:32

ghryx wrote on 05/12/16 at 16:10:35:
It's a bit sputter-ish. Seems like it's not very happy at low-mid throttle, almost acts like it's starving for fuel in just that spot. Seems ok everywhere else. But yeah. It works!  Smiley

I have ridden a couple of bikes that did that....mine included.  It just needs a carb cleaning, rejetting, and a white spacer mod.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 19:04:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak - stripped th

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.