Send Topic Print
Non standard muffler (Read 113 times)
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Non standard muffler
02/09/16 at 16:20:59

So, I'm still restoring my '87 Savage, and now it's time for the new silencer / muffler. Before starting though, I also fitted new shocks at 1.5 " over size. However, using the standard down pipe, trying to fit a new 19" silencer has serious swingarm / silencer interference. Checking the photos on here I noticed many instances were the new silencer kicked out to clear the swingarm. Is there an easy way to do this, other than rotating the full exhaust system out? It looks like some have used an adapter to angle the silencer out, but I can't tell if these are home grown or available as bought items. Any suggestions?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Non standard muffler
Reply #1 - 02/09/16 at 16:43:42

The stock muffler mounts up with some built in angle to it that keeps it out away from the swing arm.  When fitting after market mufflers most of us use an adapter.  The technical section of this forum has an index and if you look down through it you will find information on almost every problem you might encounter.

This is the link to the adapter plan that Dave, one of the moderators, provided.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1353284557

I welded up a similar one to fit my Harley Dyna muffler starting with some stock exhaust pipe from an auto parts store.  Dave did a nice job of it and he provides some instructions.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/12/16 at 05:26:06

The muffler mounting is made a lot simpler with an angle adapter.  If you can't make one yourself, or don't want to run around trying to find a muffler shop to make you one...the one RYCA sells works just fine and can save you a lot of hassle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Suzuki-Savage-S40-Exhaust-Muffler-Adapter-...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 02/12/16 at 10:31:37

Has anyone tried spacing the stock muffler out away from the bike by fitting a spacer under the mounting bracket? Either at the muffler or at the connection to the bike frame.
I would like to fit 2" longer shocks for a better ride.
Any problems with the stock exhaust pipe?  Undecided

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/12/16 at 12:03:09

norm92de wrote on 02/12/16 at 10:31:37:
Any problems with the stock exhaust pipe?  Undecided

The stock muffler works OK....eventually it either rots out or the insides come loose.  Once the inside comes loose the sound gets to be like an old wheezy VW exhaust.

I don't think you can do much to get the stock muffler to work with longer shocks.....the darn thing is really big.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 02/12/16 at 13:30:28

Thanks Dave,

Somehow I see a Dyna in my bike's future. Our local HD store seems to have them from time to time but at high prices for a used muffler.  :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/12/16 at 13:42:01

norm92de wrote on 02/12/16 at 13:30:28:
Thanks Dave,

Somehow I see a Dyna in my bike's future. Our local HD store seems to have them from time to time but at high prices for a used muffler.  :'(

I once posted an add on Craigslist that said I was looking for a DYNA muffer.  And I got a really nice pair for $ 80 from a fellow that took them of his bike when he put some aftermarket mufflers on....they were in really nice shape.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 02/12/16 at 15:19:19

I have paid $25.00 for slightly used Sportster mufflers at American Eagle Harley Davidson in Corinth Texas.

Kenny G

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 02/15/16 at 07:47:05

Worth considering: all stainless; good prices.

http://www.coneeng.com/pdf/motorcycle/MC%20finsihed%20Mufflers%20PDF.pdf

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:23:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Non standard muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.