Jewish
Buddhist
Hindu
Atheist/agnostic/iffy?...
one of the 4,700 others?...

« Last Modified by: Serowbot on: 02/07/16 at 08:23:04 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Poll,... on religion... (Read 209 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Poll,... on religion...
02/07/16 at 00:25:09

What is closest to your view on religion?...

I would really like to know.
Not for any future nefarious reason... (feel safe to answer)...
Just, to know.
... and this will be completely anonymous... (unless you want to expand by commenting, which would be most welcome)...

PS... I separate, Christian "literal",.. not to single it out, but because I expect a majority of Christian votes, and would like to know how many take these words to be written in stone,... or as metaphor, to guide us...
No offense intended...

Please do vote.
And added comment is most welcome.

I promise not to be,..   ...an arse  Embarrassed... about anything you might want to add...

Really excited to see lots of votes.  please do reply.

..and, Peace,... to all beliefs...
...(I honestly do respect what I believe to be the overt intention of religion, (which is to behave kindly, and compassionately, to others),... I just cannot believe in a non-corporeal being)...
Thanks

FWIW,... I am 100% atheist... (not in any hateful, or satanic way) ... I just don't believe in a god)...
I still want to be and do good, and not harm anyone un-necessarily...

Ancient Egyptian's believed that when you die,...
...the god, Maat,.. would balance your soul, against a feather...  
The good would lift you to heaven, and the bad would plunge you to hell...
The best you can do as an atheist, is more good than bad...
No eternal life, or heaven,... but remembered kindly...

Now,... vote!...
Dangit'!...  
Aren't we all a bit curious?...

If I don't get at least a dozen votes... I'm gonna' hold my breathe, until you all turn blue...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Poll,... on religion...
Reply #1 - 02/07/16 at 06:51:49

I'm not a Christian because I was raised to be, tho they did drag me off to church sometimes. The first coupla times I was excited, five years old, going to the place where God goes, and expecting to see or feel SOMETHING other than what being alive felt like. Expecting to see people who were somehow tangibly different, but ,,  phhhht, worse than disappointing. It was deathly boring, near funereal, I was almost starting to hunt for the coffin. Surely there had been a death. And the people who insisted I go? I saw no change in their lives. I saw no blessings.
I saw no heartfelt joy. So, I rebelled against the ritual of getting up, getting dressed up and going to a place where everyone was pretending that by being there, they were somehow made better. God's name wasn't used in my family very much. When it was, it was followed by darn, and no, I didn't type darn..
I'm a Christian NOT because I was taught to be, actually, only one grandma was a good representative and I was only around her during Summer visits to the farm, and she had little direct contact and about zero influence. I was a hellian, hyperactive, imaginative and dangerous boy. Dangerous only to myself.
So, WHY am I a Christian? Something happened to me when I was very young, and I had forgotten about it, but , after much soul searching, I remembered, and the event was not something that I would explain to anyone in such a formal as this. But, if there is anything I'm certain of, it's that Jesus hung on a cross.
I can't say what parts of the Bible are literal, what is actually meant to be there, what's been omitted for political purposes, nothing. I can say some of it Really speaks to me. Some, I just don't get. But, here's the deal about the necessity of the Bible.

You're shipwrecked. You are the only survivor. You get to an island and find sufficient food, water and shelter for survival.
You're not a Christian. Now, alone, your mind starts to consider the possibility. Your heart starts to see. All of your past comes into view. You start to grasp a deeper understanding of WHY certain things are wrong, and you develop a relationship with God, in prayer.
No Bible. Just a contrite heart. And understanding and salvation is free. Knowing every Bible verse will not save your soul.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 02/07/16 at 07:13:20

I've been in a church, 4 times that I remember.
  When I was about 6,... to see my cousin baptized (I went in the wrong room, and there was a dead guy, so I ran out of the building)... Grin
  When I was 9,... to a wedding with my parents (the groom fainted).
  When I was 20, I was best man at a Catholic wedding (the priest accused me of stealing his pen at the rehearsal,... in front of everybody)... Undecided
  When I was around 30 (to shoot/videotape the unveiling of a special "Jesus on the Cross" centerpiece doodad, a giant metal thing about 15ft tall... Believe it or not, it fell off the wall while I was shooting it...
I did not touch it, I swear... it crushed the podium, and wrecked the first couple of rows of seating) Lips Sealed
The priest there, ran out of the room like God was attacking him... Grin

God,.. don't want me... Huh
...and now,... I'm an atheist... Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 02/07/16 at 07:22:44

I don't go to church. I've been in a bunch of them. Not looking for one. I can say that I've had no truly traumatic experiences or seen the things you've seen in church. Those events don't make God a non entity. If you have decided based on those events, well, I'm surprised.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/07/16 at 07:24:04

Not based on those things at all... but, they sure didn't help... Grin

At least I wasn't molested... Undecided

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 02/07/16 at 07:48:21

Interesting choice you offered for Christian. I find it telling you would separate it as such, I think you are selling your own awareness, of believing, or not, short.
For faith to be real, it has to be absolute, not kinda pregnant.
Man inherently is not capable of its requirements, as he is fallen.
Yet, salvation is still possible.

Faith is not having to jump through hoops, or having a government sanction it with a pledge, or scripting verse on its currency, yet, that is what many "want"........    

Believing is an extremely personal relationship, and needs no further exterior, or ulterior support, for it to sustain.

Maybe I am reading too much into your reason to separate the question, but from my POV, it shows to me you understand something about "believing" others, that profess to, don't.

On a personal note, my relationship with God was superfluous, for what  I was lacking, until I came to him honestly. How that translate in my own life was this.....
I believed I had to pretend I was happy. I would praise him when I didn't feel it, or mean it.
Not until I accepted my anger at him, and the unjust things that I saw and experienced in my life, and gave him both barrels of buckshot I had been harboring for ALL my life, did it change.

I feel this was really all he was waiting for, me being honest in ALL things.
I can not grasp repair, if I don't acknowledge what is broke.
I kid you not, I had one of those awakenings that was instantaneous....
What use to baffle me, did no more.
I had knowledge of things that I had no clue, I even knew about such things  Shocked
In short, his spirit filled me as promised, for I am way too stupid to acquire this understanding on my own  Grin

And this "knowledge" is why I think your reasoning to separate the question thus, suggest to me you have a deeper understanding of faith, than a lot of confessor portend.

You may breath now  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 02/07/16 at 07:57:24

Has anybody seen the movie, As Good As It Gets?

Great movie.... I think one of Jack's best performances ever.

It really shows deep personal relationships and conflict, but you have to watch closely for the subtle hints.

One scene in the car where they are talking about anger, disappointments, life, etc, Jack nails it, as to what motivates people in their lives, yet they don't agree with him.

Yep, he shoulda danced with her  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 02/07/16 at 07:59:47

Yeah, the Name it and Claim It bunch.

Proclaim that
I am well, my health is restored.
All day, until I believe it. Then I will have proven my faith.

Phhhhht,,,

My kid walks up to Me, hands me a toy busted into ten pieces and says

My toy is whole.

I'm gonna be a bit confused.

If he wants me to fix it, he should tell me it's Busted.

Whatever Enoch did, I wish I could do.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 02/07/16 at 08:27:40

So far, Atheism is winning....
Wasn't expecting that. Huh

PS... I spelt "Atheism" wrong in the poll... Grin Grin Grin
Snuck back in and corrected it. Tongue
Ironic...

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #9 - 02/07/16 at 09:00:58

Serowbot wrote on 02/07/16 at 08:27:40:
So far, Atheism is winning....
Wasn't expecting that. Huh

PS... I spelt "Atheism" wrong in the poll... Grin Grin Grin
Snuck back in and corrected it. Tongue
Ironic...

Or is it the "Agnostic / Iffy"  part that people are claiming ???? There is a difference. Undecided

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 02/07/16 at 09:11:13

Some people say so,.. but I believe it's only in the degree resolve..

If you don't worship a god,.. you are not a theist...
That makes you atheist...
Without god...

Buddhist's are technically atheist...  they have deep spirituality without a god...
I kinda' like that... I just can't be patient enough to meditate.. Huh

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 02/07/16 at 15:44:42

How many of you believe in some kind of after life?  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 02/07/16 at 16:27:21

The thing I have never been able to understand about atheist is, how can you be against something you don't understand?

I believe atheism is just as much as a belief, as believing in God....

I think it is akin in trying to prove a negative argument(s).  

Now I get agnostic, I think  Embarrassed

Also, when atheist want to restrict free expression of believers, that to me shows how their belief is based not on a self awareness, but upon forcing their will on others, which is the same rational that people war against other people, when they have the ability to do so....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 02/07/16 at 17:41:46

raydawg wrote on 02/07/16 at 16:27:21:
The thing I have never been able to understand about atheist is, how can you be against something you don't understand?
I think believing in a god is the same as believing in the Easter Bunny...
Can you be against believing that Easter Bunny is real?...or cartoon characters are real people?...
Are you for it?...
Follow my drift?...

I believe atheism is just as much as a belief, as believing in God....
Not believing, is not a belief.... because it's not believing...
I think it is akin in trying to prove a negative argument(s).  

Also, when atheist want to restrict free expression of believers, that to me shows how their belief is based not on a self awareness, but upon forcing their will on others, which is the same rational that people war against other people, when they have the ability to do so....
Let's call expression of belief, singing out loud... that's another form of expression.
If I say please don't sing out loud, because it bothers me... I'm restricting your freedom of expression, which is forcing my will upon you.
...but,... if you insist on singing out loud,... you are forcing your will upon me...
The point is,... there is an appropriate place to do this... and there are inappropriate places to do this...
  Religion has it's place,... we call them Churches...

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 02/07/16 at 17:52:48

I think you missed my point. Your example is lacking, and represents an apple, orange comparison.
But anyway, it matters not, to me, or worth the energy to persue it. You all have fun jerking it around, been a steady argument for oh, I guess centuries  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 07:27:54

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Poll,... on religion...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.