Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20
Send Topic Print
July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30 (Read 2386 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: July event in Waynesville NC area - July 22-30
Reply #105 - 05/16/16 at 08:14:27

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/15/16 at 09:21:55:
That's why we have two of them, for when one craps out.

I've never had one 'crap out' I've simply never had one that would stay inflated all night
I love air mattresses. they stay cool, they support well, and they're super comfy to me, but only untill they lose enough air to start sagging, then they suck, and all of them I've owned lost air overnight

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #106 - 05/16/16 at 08:42:02

Art, an air bed is better constructed and it is extra deep (7.5" deep vs 4") on purpose so if it does lose a little air it isn't fatal.

Dave, you want to float from place to place or just stay at Mi Mountain for two nights next month?   If we float, we jest take whatever we can get at quitting time wherever we are.  

Might be a hotel room, who knows?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #107 - 05/16/16 at 09:33:58

I am open to whatever you and MM want to do.  I will have my trailer with me, and I am certain that I can find a place to park it and sleep every night....even if it is just a truck stop or rest area.

I don't know what else might be going on that weekend, and how fast lodging sells out.  When my wife and I went to Waynesville on her fall break - we had a cabin at the Blueridge Campground for Wed/Thur...but they were full for the weekend and we had to find someplace else to go.  We checked all the local places and they were sold out - we finally found a place in Cherokee.....turns out there was some big Gospel Music convention going on that weekend, and all the places nearer to Waynesville were full.

If were are not going to be centralized and we will be wandering around to TN or Georgia - then I may need to re-think the car/trailer/bike thing and bring something that I don't need to return to each night.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #108 - 05/16/16 at 11:24:03

I texted MM to get him to read and answer your question.   I don't know if he plans to go on the weekend explore or not at this point in time because he's been out cutting hay and pouring a concrete pad and has been missing for the last week.

I plan to just ride in and out, that way I can better judge my real ability to withstand 5 days of MM/Blue Ridge Wandering.   Plus, I needed to develop the tent camping tricks I will need for the longer trip.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #109 - 05/17/16 at 19:49:14

OK , Got text , need to catch-up on reading  ....

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #110 - 05/17/16 at 20:36:16

Red -up !   Smiley

Yea , I got brother "Kent" to help with the concrete last Saturday , I've got another buddy and his helper here tonight ready to start construction on a new car-port tomorrow --- then hay to cut soon as the weather has 4 or 5 days of sunshine in a roll (maybe Monday) , then more hay , then sell some calfs , them maybe some more hay  ... seems like a busy time of year .  

I will be  SsssOooo ready for a ride by time July gets here .  I've got the 21st on my calendar but I can change it if necessary .   That "Mi-Campground" looks just fine to me if ya'll would rather meet there ... I'm easy to get-a-long-with  Tongue  , anywhere is "OK" .  Smiley
Heck - some Sunny Days and good Ridding Buddy s will make all that work disappear into a distance memory .

I remember looking for a few campgrounds north of NC. and will haft to hunt them up again before we leave .   right now I've got my attention on getting chores done-up.  Kinda like get the "Honey-Do-list" before I get to do the "my-bucket-list" sort of thing  Grin  

That reminds me of something I've noticed :
I've noticed the more things I do on my bucket list ---
The LONGER the bucket list gets !  Roll Eyes

The dash light on my S-40 burned out in TX and I haven't got around to fixing it yet , think I'll change oil twice this year (4000 miles this year already) and check the valves again , might even give all the bolts a checking while I'm at it. !

« Last Edit: 05/19/16 at 04:12:47 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #111 - 06/08/16 at 07:45:22

Hey gang...what's the latest and greatest plan for this ride (I'm jumping in really late in the discussion).  I have a few things to juggle and prioritize so I don't get in trouble with family, but I really want to try and make this event so I can meet up with you all this year.

Final ride dates are really my main question as i may have to truck up late Friday, ride Sat and Sun and truck home late Sun night...if that would fit in the ride schedule.

Lodging, well, I don't mind sleeping in my truck as long as there is a bath house I can use at my leisure.

Stew

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #112 - 06/08/16 at 08:22:10

We are currently thinking about checking out Mi Mountain in Franklin NC as a gather spot so we can all start the Blue Ridge Parkway together.   Another place to visit to check out is Big Don's Cabins ..... another undefined sort of location with no web site and no reviews except some dubious tweets on twitter.

Next weekend Dave and I are going there to "reality check" it out, along with some other alternative start spots.

Start date is going to be:

=============================

Blue Ridge Parkway Ride

OK, Thursday July the 21st through the 26-27.   We will go up the Blue Ridge Parkway from the south end all the way up into Virginia.  

Thurs Fri Sat Sun Mon Tues and that way we will have lots of time to go side explore some.    Wednesday is optional if we are running late getting back.

Grin

...... yes, it means if we get really lost again ......

Please note: folks can join this trip in progress and we will post our location nightly and if we are picking up somebody that we know about we will post changes to pick up schedule right here on the thread.   This trip covers a "pick up area" of the entire South & Mid East and remember, you can pick us up on the return trip as well.

And here is your weather forecast for the days in question.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/canton-nc/28716/july-weather/344623?monyr=7/...

« Last Edit: 06/09/16 at 13:59:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #113 - 06/08/16 at 08:39:17

Thanks Oldfeller.  

If you guys don't get any confirmation from me on this thread for arrangements, etc. as time draws near, PM me so I'll get a ping on my phone (email) and respond...just in case time gets away from me and I don't pay close attention to this thread.  

Hope to see yall there this year!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #114 - 06/08/16 at 12:41:02

This makes 4, we will need MM and Dave to each pack a tent.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #115 - 06/15/16 at 07:11:59

Oldfeller,

I'll be driving up in my truck, so I can bring anything that is needed for me to lighten the load for all the bikers, so don't carry any extra stuff on my account.  I can bring anything necessary to help others in any way, just remember that I'll roll in sometime after midnight on Friday and be headed home Sunday after sundown.

As long as there is a bath house (potty) for me to take a break once I arrive Friday, I'm perfectly fine dozing off in the truck.  However, if final arrangements dictate that there is a spot somewhere for the taking, I can bring my cot and sleeping bag.  

Just let me know what the final arrangements look like after you veterans of the area nail it down. I'm good with anything and everything so feel free to make executive decisions on my behalf. I'll chip in my fair share as needed, no worries.

Stew

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #116 - 06/15/16 at 11:08:08

Stewmills:

The ride in July is a "traveling" event.....it will start on the south end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and we will be riding farther north each day and making stops along the way.  Trying to catch us as we ride north might be confusing.....and then each day you will get farther away from where you parked your truck.  If you are rolling in around midnight on Friday, riding Satruday, and riding back on Sunday....I am not sure how that will work?

Oldfeller and I are riding the Franklin, NC and north Georgia area this weekend....maybe it will be such good riding that the July trip will be changed from a camping/riding trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway (trucks, buses, campers SUV's)....to a trip on less crowded rural roads in Georgia.

Let's keep planning........hopefully we can get you up here to ride with us some weekend.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #117 - 06/15/16 at 11:40:45

Sounds good, Dave.  Let's keep planning, and I am not scared of last minute arrangements/decisions on the fly. Kinda makes it more fun.

I hadn't looked that the planned route on a map or anything, but if it were such that I could find you guys on Friday night wherever you land and rest in the truck, pack a small bedroll for Saturday night sleeping, and then at some point split off from you all late Sunday to head back to my truck (or maybe the route is such that we looped back in a relative vicinity of the truck) that's a thought.  I don't mind that at all, I just like to have companion riders for as much of the ride as possible because it's more fun that way, and it makes me feel safer not being in unknown territory by myself.

However, as I now look at the Blue Ridge Parkway map I see the "Northern" route and it would be a hustle to try and catch you all in Boone or somewhere North of that in WV.  Franklin/Cherokee is about 4 hours drive late on a Friday night and anything beyond that start's getting cumbersome.

If you come down into Georgia, well, that's getting closer to my backyard...but don't do it on my account.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #118 - 06/15/16 at 11:44:22

stewmills wrote on 06/15/16 at 11:40:45:
Dave.  Let's keep planning, and I am not scared of last minute arrangements/decisions on the fly. Kinda makes it more fun.

If you come down into Georgia, well, that's getting closer to my backyard...but don't do it on my account.

Well in that case........pack up you truck tomorrow night, and when you leave work on Friday........you can drive to the Franklin area and ride with us this weekend! Smiley

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #119 - 06/15/16 at 12:31:26

Dave, Ive got my bike modded-up for my moth of July cruze, and hope to meet-up with you guys on the Blue Ridge. I will have my small tent and sleeping bag. Will check-in with you as the date approaches.
This weekend, if you're south of Franklin, check out the ride tween Highlands and Dillard. A great ride and views on a bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 02:11:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.