Send Topic Print
Weight and distribution (Read 76 times)
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Weight and distribution
01/24/16 at 18:27:02

Ok, I have a ryca bike, one of the first kits produced. Going on about 5 years with it. Still a blast,  I'm turning 50 this year, wrists feeling it after a couple of hours, but that is another story. Had it long enough to feel like I have pushed it to its limits.( And. beyond, almost)Don't get me wrong, I know it's not a sport bike but when maxed out it will outshine a bike and rider with less intestinal fortitude. 320 total weight, 155 front, 165 rear. The only weakness I will attest to is a sub-par front brake and something funky in the front end geometry that will slide the front end when pushed hard. ( Have a fork Brace)  Ok, sorry for the long buildup, but is anyone in the same boat? What's next?

2000 S40 RYCA conversion built in 2011.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Weight and distribution
Reply #1 - 01/25/16 at 03:28:47

I think that I push my Cafe bike pretty hard occasionally.  On the Dragon on the last visit I was braking hard enough to feel the bike getting a bit "wiggly" under very hard braking.  I may not be pushing it as hard as you do in the corners....I still have about 1/4" of chicken strips on the edges of the tires (I like to keep just a bit of a safety margin in case there is something around the corner I don't know about).  My engine has a 95mm Wiseco, Stage 1 cam, ported head, Mikuni VM carb, and a good exhaust system....it is noticeably faster than a stock bike.

So far I have only used Pirelli Sport Demon or Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires - which are the stickiest rubber I can find.  I don't like the tire size that RYCA puts on the bikes - I feel the 100/90 front is too tall of a tire, and jamming a 130/70 rear tire on a 2.50 rim is wrong.  My front tire is a 90/90-18 on a 2.15" wide rim, and on the rear I am currently using a 110/80-18 tire on the 2.50 rim......or a 130/70-18 tire on a 3.50" rim.  When I wear out  the current 110/80 tire I will be replacing it with a 120/80-18.....and I believe the 90/90 front and 120/80 rear is the "correct" size for the RYCA.  I also have a fork brace.  And.....I have ShawnRYCA's big brake kit on the front.  The bike brake kit is a "must have" if you are going to be pushing the bike hard.

To make my seat more comfortable I had a local upholstery shop make me a new seat that has padding on the edges.  I also modified the clip on bars to have an angle in them - so the bars have less of a downward angle and it is far easier on my wrists. (I bought steel tubing and cut them at an angle and welded them back together with a 4 degree angle).

Below is the discussion thread on the Cafe tire size.  I would suggest you try a shorter profile front tire if you have an 18" front wheel - if you still have the stock 19" front tire your selection may be a bit limited (Avon Roadrider appears to be the only 90/90-19 available). If you have the 18" front rim try the Pirelli Sport Demons if you want the best grip, the BT45 if you want good grip and a bit better mileage...and the Avon RoadRider might also be a good choice.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1435340395

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/25/16 at 08:28:47

I think the light weight might have something to do with the front end wash...
Just too easy to catch air... Huh

You might try getting your body weight further forward.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #3 - 01/26/16 at 03:53:07

Thanks guys. Just put my order in for the big brake kit.

2000 S40 RYCA conversion built in 2011.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/29/24 at 02:14:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Weight and distribution

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.