Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
High gearing seizes engine/gearing for speed. (Read 414 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
High gearing seizes engine/gearing for speed.
01/23/16 at 17:31:06

It seems that there is a belief among some in the KLR community that gearing their thumper too high risks engine damage due to lugging.

http://www.klrforum.com/1987-2007-wrenching-mods/2378-16-t-front-42-t-rear-sp...

Makes me think I should downshift a little more often when driving the Subaru on hills. For example, sometimes 60 mph (2500 rpm) in 5th gear takes a lot of throttle on some of the hills we have.

Just think how high cars are geared compared to most motorcycles! Does 4 or more
cylinders really make them that immune to lugging?

Have any Savage owners had to worry about lugging (or rather, overloading) their engines to death at high speeds with alternate gearings?  Can lugging occur at 3500+ rpm?

Can lugging occur at redline? Grin Grin

By the way, does anyone think Suzuki's gearing choice was wise? Did they hit the sweet spot when it comes to acheiving top speed? Does gearing higher help top speed or hurt it? Do we just gear it higher for cruising? Now, I remember... some of you have talked about having to drop to 4th with some taller gears in order to reach top speed? Huh

« Last Edit: 04/07/16 at 08:09:20 by Dave »  

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: High gearing seizes engine!?
Reply #1 - 01/23/16 at 18:48:10

cheapnewb24 wrote on 01/23/16 at 17:31:06:
It seems that there is a belief among some in the KLR community that gearing their thumper too high risks engine damage due to lugging.

I just traveled 780 miles the last 2 days on a trip to Orlando with a 17T cs and the standard rear sprocket which is a 43T.  The gears are stretched out farther; but, their is not much more of a risk of "lugging it".  I averaged 78 mph on the interstate with about 4,800 rpms.  The 17T is the biggest one that can fit on the front and I had to dremmel the sprocket cover to make it fit.

Incidentally, it was 37 degrees on the Gulf of Mexico this morning in Panama City and I don't think it made it to 50 by the time I got to Orlando.   Sad

But, it is still better than looking at snow.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 01/23/16 at 18:54:28

By the way, does anyone think Suzuki's gearing choice was wise?

No way they got it right .  There ain't no cruising gear !   Yea , it goes faster in 4th when it does get a cruising gear , and that is EXACTLY HOW IT SHOULD BE.    Wink

Would have been nice if Suzuki had made the jumps between gears third an fourth and 5th a little bigger.   Smiley  

At one time I had the bigger front pulley , the smaller rear pulley , and a really large diameter rear tire.   According to my Garmin GPS I let second gear wind out to 80 mph before shifting to third.   With that same gearing 5th gear didn't have no problem long as I kept above 55 on the speedometer , trouble was that was 70 something on the GPS.  Fact is with the speedometer showing 65mph I was passing everything on  the Interstate .  
But the stock motor don't have power enough to pull that much gear.  So I went back to the original rear pulley , and left it there for many thousands of miles.  

Suzuki should have give us a real Interstate gear of an Overdrive.  but since they didn't ---- Kawaski inversely did without even knowing it !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 01/24/16 at 15:41:06

There may be something to this lugging thing. I now have both Kaw pulleys, and a 150/90 15 rear tire. It turns less than 3400 rpm at 60mph in 5th. After 800 miles of LOW rpm riding to play with the new gearing, cruising speeds as low as 35 in 5th, I had to add 8oz of oil for the first time ever. I am going to make it a point to not go under 40 in 4th or 50 in 5th and see what happens. There may be a limit to how slow we can thump!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 01/24/16 at 16:27:23

BadWolf

you wrote :  cruising speeds as low as 35 in 5th,

Surely you mean 35 on the speedometer  ... not real 35 like on a GPS ?

I suspect your at least 20% over stock on your true ground speed compared to the speedometer.

remember : you can always time true ground speed with the Interstate mile markers and a 60 second timer.  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #5 - 01/24/16 at 18:03:20

MM, I basicly have to ignore the stock speedo now & go by the gps all the time. I built a holder for a android phone w/a gps app over the bar clamps. 35 in 5th here in Fla on the flat actually feels pretty smooth. Won't make a habbit of it thou. I'll keep the revs up a little higher and try not to go under 3G in 4th or 5th. I have been getting 6o to 65 mpg over the road, and next time I have the ex pipe off I'm going to mount a fitting on the adapter for a O2 sensor. I have a mixture gauge from when I built an airplane that reads on ratios 13 to 1 = max power, 18 to 1 = best mileage.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 01/24/16 at 19:34:09

35 mph in 5th gear with the stock pullies and 140/80-15 rear tire will lug the engine. How are you managing to pull this off with much higher gearing?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #7 - 01/24/16 at 20:12:28

That is just cruzing on the level. If I give it a lot of throttle it will chug and jerk. I didn't ride miles & miles that way, but in traffic it will do it.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 01/24/16 at 20:24:15

BadWolf

Smiley
I'm interested in you O2 sensor thingie ?   I've experimented with jet sizes trying to find the best MPG.   I'd like to know how lean can you go before the "Demising Returns Occur "   Huh   I've never found the need for more power - but - have tried to get 60+ mpg every way I can think of.  Roll Eyes  I'm running 45 Primary and 150 Main , now

The Flat ground around here is full of hills !  Grin

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #9 - 01/24/16 at 22:13:51

MM, My gauge is a old analog one I think I got it from JC Whittney back in the mid 90's. New ones are digital like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Auto-Car-2-52mm-Red-Digital-Color-20-LED-Air-Fu...  

When you learn to fly a small plane you learn to lean out the mixture for best cruse. I was taught 13 to 1 for power, 18 to 1 for cruse.  Airplane carbs are made to be pilot adjustable, to a point.
The gauges need 12v power, and hook up to a O2 gauge in your exhaust pipe.

''The Flat ground around here is full of hills !''
And I bet those hills are full of Moonshiners!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/25/16 at 04:00:42

I don't see how high gearing can seize an engine - but lugging an engine can be hard on the rings, piston and cylinder wall.  When lugging occurs the expansion of the burning gasses in the cylinder is faster than the piston can move down - so you end up with really high pressures in the cylinder.  The piston won't seize....but it can wear out the rings and cylinder wall faster than it should.

If you get "chugging".....it is time to shift.  I have the double Kawasaki pulley conversion and if I am not over 60 mph (actual)....I don't use 5th gear.  It is OK to thump along on level ground with light throttle - but don't operate the engine where you can feel/hear the engine working hard at low rpm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 01/25/16 at 06:22:18

Badwolf, I would think that atmospheric pressure, octane, etc. would play a part in an aircraft engine so you could lean it out to 18:1. That afr probably wouldn't be good for a motorcycle. You may end up burning a hole in the piston.

I wonder how lean Suzuki builds these things at the factory?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 01/25/16 at 08:36:33

I find myself revving more than I used to.  Not sure if it's all the talk about low oil pressures at lower rpm, or if I'm trying to get my Savage to match my Sportster output... It just seems happier when it's off the "putt putt" rhythm...
I'm rarely into 5th before 55mph... w/ stock gearing and 140/90 tire

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Top speed and gearing...
Reply #13 - 04/03/16 at 14:00:46

Took a while to get to sleep last night over thinking about this exciting topic. There's a lot that can be said about this, but I'll start by saying this:

I think that the factory Savage top gear is too short. It does not increase top speed appreciably, and may even be counter-productive.

Take a look at this:

http://www.royalenfields.com/2009/02/new-royal-enfield-adds-performance.html

Now, that little 500 thumper can come mighty close in performance to our 650, but it's top gear is substantially higher. It's power/torque curves are a little different, but they are similar overall. At 6500, it is rated around 108 mph. Not sayin' it'll do that. Just showing that it's taller geared than ours. (97.3 mph at same rpm.) (Check Gearing Commander). From what I've seen in videos, the Enfield can reach 140-145 kph (86-90 mph).  This is pretty close to our top speed.

It has been suggested on this forum that because the stock bike can't reach redline, there is not much (or anything) to be gained from increasing gearing. This is close to the truth, but may not be exactly the case in my opinion.

Supposedly, stock, our bike reaches 80.8 mph at it's power peak of 5400 rpm. Funny thing is, from what I gather, our Savage can generally do quite a bit better than 81 mph. Wink.  By the time it's crossed the 85 mark, she's doing about 5700. By the time 90 comes-- if you can squeeze that out of a stocker-- she is doing over 6k. For such a long stroke, that's too much. Undecided

If you guys have an accurate way of measuring both ground speed and engine speed, and, under varying conditions, you are able to regularly even approach 6k in top gear, much less redline, on a stock engine (no hot cam or anything),  you are geared shorter than necessary, perhaps even too short. While top speed might not increase much, it's not likely to decrease much either from increasing the gearing. I don't care if you push 10,000 rpms out of that poor thing, it's not going to help the top speed. The power curve, with stock settings, is done by about 5800. Doing 6k on a stock engine is generally counterproductive, especially with our weird gearing.

As long as you can reliably reach, maintain, and not exceed the plateau range of the horsepower curve, he theoretical top speed attainable for those instantaneous conditions will neither increase nor decrease appreciably due to any change in gearing.

Furthermore, as long as you are able to reliably reach and maintain the plateau (mid 5k range) under a reasonable range of load/road conditions (light headwind/grade/extra weight), there is not much reason top-end-wise, to be any lower in gearing.

Someone talked about the 140/90-15 tire decreasing top speed. I wonder if he was considering actual top speed or indicated top speed, as indicated speed  would decrease. Acutual speed shouldn't decrease substantially, assuming tire friction is the same.

I would take a guess that even the 17/43 chain conversion would not decrease actual top speed much in top gear-- maybe by only a few mph??? At 5k, it would be doing 87.5 mph. 5k is not far from the peak, but it is a little low. In 4th, however, the top speed ought to be reachable on level ground.

As far as wear is concerned, wouldn't engine stresses be worse due to engine speed compared to the stresses of engine load? I'd think so.

Of course, this conversation doesn't mean much if you never get the bike past 45 mph. Cheesy

Here's power/torque curves for the Savage that various members have posted. Many of them have mild mods like muffler, air, and carb tuning.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1185590369

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1243819864

Any comments?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Top speed and gearing...
Reply #14 - 04/03/16 at 14:24:02

Looking at the first two savage dyno pictures, the sweet spot looks like it's from 5k to 5.5k. After 5500, the bottom drops out. Huh Interesting.

Another interesting thing is that the next to last picture shows peak hp around 75 mph. That's just too low. Huh  Oh, wait a minute, someone in that thread suggested that the dyno for that one might have been done in 4th gear. Interestingly, that corresponds to about 5400 rpm on the nail, and it's rather definite or peaky.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:51:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › High gearing seizes engine/gearing for speed.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.